1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with new ocz vertex 2 ssd

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tiger253, May 13, 2010.

1. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Hey everyone. I just got the OCZ Vertex 2 50GB yesterday and it's currently working but there are some problems.

There's a performance problem that always shows low read performance when testing with small files at the start compared to other reviews like from the one here, anandtech, and pcper.

64 KB block:
    [​IMG]

8 MB block:
    [​IMG]

Quick Bench:
    [​IMG]

Long Bench:
    [​IMG]

These are looking alright.
    [​IMG]

The other problem I've found is hdtune showing a warning for reallocated sector count. Can this be the reason for performance anomalies?
    [​IMG]

But then, speedfan shows that it is OK.
    [​IMG]

And I've found no damaged blocks here.
    [​IMG]

So is it a false warning or is it something I should worry about?
    To clarify, this is a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64bit (2nd time) and TRIM is enabled from what I've seen after typing in the command at the prompt. The partition is completely allocated NTFS and ACHI was enabled before the Windows install. After various tweak I am still seeing the low performance. I shouldn't be getting those min speeds and from some reading, the reallocated sectors are preventing problems for the OS but once ? happens then the SSD will fail.

Thanks for any feedback. I have been searching/researching the whole day and sent an email to OCZ tech support yesterday.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I think the speeds are reasonable, but about those Re-located sector counts I'm not too sure on.

I'm not sure what the threshold for SSD's are, but a standard Mechanical used to be about 100.

I would try contacting OCZ and asking their support directly.
    Then you get your official answer other than peoples speculation.

3. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Thanks for your quick input. I think I'll just do it the easy way and rma through newegg. Maybe the last thing I will do is a zero write format. From what I've read it may fix the problem.

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    could be firmware issues, the vertex one had tons of firmware issues and now you have to deal with the sandforce chip. Best to post a message on OCZ's support forums and if all else RMA through OCZ cuz newegg will simply send you a used one that got sent back for whatever reason.

5. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Well, this is what OCZ tech support told me: "hello hd tune is for reading hdd drives not ssd drives so hd tune will show some errors unless the drive is not performing to specs i wouldn't worry"

Since he pointed out I shouldn't worry unless it's not performing to specs, surely I will rma now. Also tried zero writing and it did not fix the issues. So it's all packaged and ready to go but the last time I RMA'd to OCZ it was a very slow process.