Problems with i7 960 @ 4.0 GHz

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Gabgoub, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Gabgoub

Gabgoub Member

GPU:
    Giagabyte GTX 580 in SLI
    Hello everyone,

I registered here for some help regarding my OC. I want to OC my i7 960 to 4.0 GHz, but I am facing problems.
    I keep on getting 80 degrees Celsius (when having the prime95 stress test) as the maximum temperature for the cores, even while changing the bclk, vcore, and the multiplier.
    Idle temps are: 41, 38, 41, 36.

My rig is:
    MB: Rampage III extreme.
    Cooler Master V10 for the heat sink.
    Case is HAFX.

The current settings are:
    vcore = 1.265v
    bclk = 174
    multiplier: 23

Any help with the settings and how to get it reach 70 degrees, and is my heat sink good?

Thank You.

2. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    i can't get mine stable over 3.8, and it's always been running hot. so the 960 may just not really be up for it.

3. Gabgoub

Gabgoub Member

GPU:
    Giagabyte GTX 580 in SLI
    It somehow actually worked yesterday. Temps were OK, but I needed to keep the room temp at 24 degrees. But in the end, it had the BSoD. It could be that my vcore voltage is low, but I am not sure.

Keeping it at 3.8 GHz now, is there a difference in performance between the 3.8 and 4.0?

4. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i have a 920@3.8ghz with HT on. but my temps are only 65c after 10 run of intel burn test. i think your cooler isnt very good, my chip is under a titan fenrir with AS5 temal paste.

5. Gabgoub

Gabgoub Member

GPU:
    Giagabyte GTX 580 in SLI
    That may be the reason. Or maybe the thermal paste that I put was not that good. I bought thermaltake thermal paste, but decided to use the one provided in the heatsink box. Apparently that was the wrong decision (if other companies have better thermal paste).

I may Water Cool some time soon in the future, and OC the **** out of my CPU and GPU, while having the GPU on SLI.

6. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    put the multiplicator to 19 or 21, on every other i noticed you need more voltage to stabilize it.
    i don't know why, but look at some reviews or try yourself and you'll see :p

7. Gabgoub

Gabgoub Member

GPU:
    Giagabyte GTX 580 in SLI
    When the multiplier is low, it takes more MHz from the ram, is that a bad thing? I have no idea why I need more RAM clock speed for OCing.

I did put it on 4.0 GHz in the end and it was semi-stable. Only when the room used to get a bit hotter, the temps would rise. Therefore I set it at 3.9 GHz with 1.25vcore and 23 as the multiplier. Everything is stable now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    buy an corsair h70 or cpu cooler and you should have no trouble what so ever with it.....though 80c sounds high for the cooler you have at such low volts. Is the thermal paste and heatsink correctly installed?

9. Gabgoub

Gabgoub Member

GPU:
    Giagabyte GTX 580 in SLI
    I was actually thinking of getting an H70 in the beginning, but I heard that closed water loop coolers were not good, so I went for the V10.

I believe the thing is installed correctly, as we did not really make the thing that tight on the CPU, and the amount of thermal paste applied was about the size of a pea/chichpea.

In the end I did have good temps for 4.0 (77-79 degrees), but it gave me BSoD for some odd reason, so I decided to go for 3.918 GHz, the extra 82 MHz wont do anything anyways lol.