Problems with EAH6850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fallout90, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Fallout90

Fallout90 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850
    In the last week or so my 6850 (only had it since last xmas) has started having pretty big FPS drops in games and generally performing a lot worse than it was about 3 weeks ago. Ive reinstalled drivers, cleaned out the dust, scanned for virus's etc but it hasn't fixed it. Also if i attempt to OC my card using the ASUS programs my drivers crash and artifacts appear all over my screen before my PC freezes. Could it be not enough power from the PSU? or maybe a faulty card?

2. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Member

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    I am not sure if your PSU is the problem because if your card is not getting enough juice shouldn't you have something like lockups or restarts instead of lower fps? Also since your saying if you even attempt to OC your card your PC freezes i am thinking its something else. A 5mhz oc on the card isn't consuming a hell of a lot more power is it? Anyways i am just guessing, maybe somebody more qualified can give a better explanation.

Have you tried reinstalling your OS? Maybe try Afterburner and see if its still crashing. Btw which driver version are you using?

3. Fallout90

Fallout90 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850
    Haven't tried reinstalling my OS yet, not sure about the power issue, during games its just FPS drops atm and im using the newest ATI drivers

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Member

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    That's the reason i was thinking maybe your PSU wasn't the problem. A token OC shouldn't bring your PSU to its knees. Like i said just give AB a try and see if it helps.

5. Fallout90

Fallout90 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850
    Ok ill try that now, ty.

edit: didnt work, after changing stuff with AB my PC froze when i tried to launch dawn of war

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Member

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Hmm..if your card is faulty/dying, shouldn't it crash/freeze even w/o a slight OC?
    Anyways you can-
    a) try your card is someone else's machine and try playing the same games or OC'ing.
    b) try a different PSU if you got a spare lying around or can get your hand's on one.
    c) Reinstall your OS and see if it fixes your issues. Speaking of which, this might be absolutely of no use, but you can do a System Restore to the time where everything was working fine and see if it helps.

Btw before these issues popped up, did you ever try OC'ing your card?

7. Fallout90

Fallout90 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850
    Never tried to OC before these issues, also i tried reinstalling my OS, didnt work and i dont have a spare PSU. I think ill just send it in for repair atm cause there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with software.

8. Gavatron

Gavatron Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850 @1ghz
    would be worth testing it in another pc before doing a RMA. If it comes back fine you'll be paying quite a lot for postage and packing.

9. kpo6969

kpo6969 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    How old is your PSU? You have 38amps.
    Also is your 6850 v.1 or v.2?
    Version 2 needs 2 x 6pcie connections.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check CPU and GPU use.