Problems with dual core, drivers from 80+ and older games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kalniel, Jan 7, 2006.

1. kalniel

kalniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950xt 256mb
    KOTOR is impossible to play on dual core machines with drivers from the 80 series on dual core machines.

MS Rallisport hangs the computer on my machine with drivers from 80 onwards.

Could there be a problem with the dual core implementation in these drivers? Other, modern, games work great, but I'd love an option to be able to switch off the dual core optimizations to help older games run.

2. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    You can turn it off in the registry. This quote below is taken from a group that had to disable the dual core optimizations in order to avoid a different conflict with dual core patches.

Let us know if this works.

3. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    You can set some programs to only use one core. Get to Task Manger (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) while the program is open, right click on it and set the core affiliation. It should work.

4. kalniel

kalniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950xt 256mb
    I can verify this does not work, infact it causes display problems with KOTOR (even when you create a shortcut so that it only starts on one CPU) and fails to correct the crashing under Rallisport. However the disabling the thread thingy in the registry sounds like it will work from other searching on the internet. At the moment I've reverted to pre 80 driver.

5. hemmy

hemmy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x6950 Crossfire
    Use Temptest's way, Konsole is explaining how to set the affinity of a certain application, which wont apply to the video driver its self

6. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

the bug is specifically with Opengl games and dual core

nvidia are working on this issue as it is a known bug, the disabling of dual core optimisations can fix it.

direct3d games are not affected

7. kalniel

kalniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950xt 256mb
    Then why the system HALT on MS Rallisport challenge? That being an xbox game originally I assumed to be using DirectX. Yet it system halts on drivers from 80+.

8. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

this isn't related to the dual core bug this is a game specific bug that nvidia probably already know about

the dual core bug is specifically between dual core and opengl apps

try running opengl at 1.5 compatibility

9. meatbagtaco

meatbagtaco Active Member

GPU:
    2 x Geforce GTX 570 SC
    LOL,

Gotta love all of the 'workarounds' and 'temporory fixes'

Dual core and OpenGL are broken under 8x.xx, even with these workarounds and fixes I still see major performance loss for a card I just paid more than $300 for. That is complete and total BFS.

10. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

lol , just hang on, its not nvidias fault amd released dual core, without getting together with them to make sure that it would work properly

its not nvidias fault game makers are putting dual core optimisations in there instead of letting nv do all the work

11. Boostland

Boostland Member

GPU:
    MSI NX-6800GT @ Ultra
    I would prefer that the game maker uses both cpu's / cores rather than just leaving it up to a driver optimistation, sure driver optimisations can give improvements to single threaded games.
    But to see how much better multithreaded games can be we will just have to wait until more users have these systems so that games physics can be increased to take advantage of the extra cpu / s.

I have used the Quake 4 and Cod 2 patches for SMP and wow to see both of my Barton's 2800+ @ 2.33 ghz being used to 95% cpu load in these games is a great thing indeed.

Without SMP enabled Quake 4 and Cod 2 were nearly unplayable when there was a lot of action, but with both cpu's active my 6800 GT @ ultra can actually be used, I now get close to the same Min FPS in Cod 2 as my mate does with his 6800 GT @ ultra with a X2 4400 when there is a lot of action and smoke.

I have run the taskman and noticed now that the game uses both cpu's rather than just one, I get up to 95% cpu use now were before it was only hitting 50% use ( 50% is one cpu running at 100% load ).

Cpu load over the seperate cpu's
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~boostlinux/Cod2_cpu-2.JPG

Cpu load when showing total load over both
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~boostlinux/Cod2_cpu-2-showas1.JPG

12. meatbagtaco

meatbagtaco Active Member

GPU:
    2 x Geforce GTX 570 SC
    ROFL,

Dude, it is Nvidia's fault that they make garbage drivers that always break more than they fix :flip:

FYI, I don't run an AMD dual core, I have a P4 3.6, 7800GT@ 470/1100, and 1.5 GB DDR2

I upgraded to that because my 6800GT/Athlon64 3700 was too laggy, but with a dual core proc in that machine it could be a big boost (if I had an ATI card evidently)

Nvidia's driver team needs to be revamped, PERIOD. How long can a company go on putting out trash drivers and breaking more than they fix? I know I woulda been fired by now if everything I tried to fix just broke worse than it already was. Put it this way, would you hire Nvidia's driver programmers? I wouldn't, it would be an AUTOMATIC disqualification if I was hiring programmers and I received one of their resumes. I would file it away nice and neatly in the trashcan.

13. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

stfu noob, come back when you stop making out with ati

14. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    I seriously wonder how you expect to have anyone take you seriously with comments like that.

Despite that, I agree. It's not easy to write drivers, and ATI never has had very good drivers themselves (and they lack a ton of features that the NVIDIA drivers have). There are so many variables and so many games that getting them to be 100% flawless is nearly impossible.

15. Malak

Malak Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati 4870 X2 2gb

Totally agree.

Wolverine69r, you need to relax and not start accusing people of being fanboys when you don't like their opinon. That is just so easy.

16. Malak

Malak Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati 4870 X2 2gb
    I thought I was the only one... You are right, KOTOR 1 is unplayable with any 8x.xx driver (I just get a black screen at first, then the menu and my mouse pointer doesn't move although the application isn't hung)...

I will also try any of the the latest tricks to get it running again although I have a hard time believing the mentioned opengl reghack will work for it.

17. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

thats the dual core bug dude, just wait, nvidia will fix it soon and kotor will fly

18. Malak

Malak Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati 4870 X2 2gb
    hmm... I was under the impression that they were supposed to fix openGL in the latest drivers allready... I haven't seen much evidince of that.

I also find it strange that they keep mentioning increased dual-core performance when in fact there is is virtually no difference between the 8x.xx drivers regarding DUAL - core...

Oh well... I'll keep on dreaming that they will get their act together and hire a real engineer.

19. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

they fixed some, but i guess others are still busted

its gotta be the dual core opti's coz i can run kotor fine here,... as fine as 25fps is lol

20. kalniel

kalniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950xt 256mb
    I do believe the reghack will work - it's been quite widely reported.

But better is to roll back to a pre 80x driver, the late 70s ones seem to work great.

It's not really anyone's fault other than IBM for coming up with the idea of multiple-source components in a personal computer.

The XBOX360 and PS3 won't suffer from this problem because they have a very controlled environment and if neccessary an authority to arbitrate a preferred solution.

PCs have to cope with so many different combinations of components and ways of doing things that it's only a surprise it's taken this long for two parties to create incompatible optimizations at the same time causing a conflict.

But the PC market moves swiftly and the end result will be stronger as a result of it.