problems with bfg gtx 260

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pavlos1982, Dec 15, 2008.

1. matlamont

matlamont Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 @ 715/1528/1275
    Im not sure how that power saving feature works exactly but have you tried another game other than Flight Simulator?

Im guessing cos u are running the game in a window the card will switch to 2d enviroment?

Edit: and you have connected both connectors to the card?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. pavlos1982

pavlos1982 Member

GPU:
    nvidia gforce gtx 260
    both connectors is connected yeh and the card is working but it just change clock frequencies and memory clock, i tried other games and it does the same thing i tried this microsoft 3 d game called tinker and it did the same start with 630 then it went bak to 300 again

3. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Ok..download and install EVGA Precision, it is easier to monitor than GPU-Z. Click on this link http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/ and select GRAPHIC CARDS in the first column and select EVGA PRECISION UTILITY in the second column. It sounds like your GPU is down clocking to its power save clocks (2D clocks), here is a link to over ride that function if you care to do so http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/423880-howto-prevent-gtx-200-series-downclocking.html

Here is what EVGA Precision program looks like running. You can see in the screen shot the graph on the left shows the clocks. You can notice that I just finished playing a game when I took that screen shot and my clocks shifted to its 2D clocks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. matlamont

matlamont Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 @ 715/1528/1275
    And there we are blaming your PSU :rolleyes:

U did a good thing by swapping it anyway :thumbup:

5. matlamont

matlamont Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 @ 715/1528/1275
    Just noticed the pun :rolleyes: :)

6. pavlos1982

pavlos1982 Member

GPU:
    nvidia gforce gtx 260
    thank you so much foes and the rest. man it works like a charm with rivatuner it did nt work with evga precision
    by the way that is nothing wrong with the graphic card is it meant to be like this or you think i should return just making sure??

and here is the benchmark test i run im happy its working now well atlist find a way to make it work thank you again all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[IMG=http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7393/working2ok3.jpg][/IMG]
    [IMG=http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/working2ok3.jpg/1/w950.png][/IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  7. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Glad to hear its running as it should be. I just noticed the GPU, MEMORY and SHADER clocks in your screen shot...WOW...did you OC'ed to those speeds?

8. pavlos1982

pavlos1982 Member

GPU:
    nvidia gforce gtx 260
    yeh i did and also increase the fan speed to 50 percent instead 40 , its very stable at these setting

9. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Thats a MONSTER OC..I can not run my over the speeds below

[​IMG]

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    exactly the same as me foes. @the op you might want to lower the clocks a tad..some people say lowering them might improve longevity. well a techie at evga told me to lower my clocks when i was at 720/1550/1200 (2400). I actually only gained 2 extra fps when pushing these speeds.

make sure u a do a long check with ati tool. also sometimes i found some games might crash even though u can bench those high clock speeds. that why i also underclock mine a bit.

anyways not long before i get a new beast to play around with :)

11. pavlos1982

pavlos1982 Member

GPU:
    nvidia gforce gtx 260
    hi one more thing if i have use rivatuner how do i get it bak to its normal setting like it use to switch??

12. Zap

Zap Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600 GT 256MB
    GTX 260 and 280 cards have three pre-set speeds that they can run. One is the full speed that they are sold at (which was 630MHz for the BFG GTX 260 OC2). The other two are underclocked speeds of 300MHz and 400MHz core. Those reduced speeds are there for a reason - to use less power and create less heat under less demanding situations, alternately as kind of a fail-safe to fall back to when there is a problem. Problems can be either too much heat, too little power or too high of an overclock.

If you were getting the problems at 722MHz core, then I'd vote with the "too high an overclock" as finding a GTX 260 that can truely run stable at that speed is like a needle in a haystack.