Problem with Windows 1809 desktop composition and R6S, need help!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Smough, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I really need some serious support, I don't know what to do. So I have been at Windows 10 1803 for a while, don't really know why, it just seemed like a good version to me, but in reality it had quite some problems, even with a clean install. Anyway, I downloaded a Windows 1809 ISO from https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php, decided to update 1803 to 1809 and then update 1809 on my own to the latest compilation.

So after the update the system was quite a lot faster, snappier, SSD and HDD benchmarks increased around 20 MB/s (so I am getting better system I/O) and in general, seems to be ok. But I have some odd issues. First of all, a baseline: I reinstalled the nVidia driver and used DDU to be sure there are no problems, but still the issue persists, this may be a bit technical, so please bear with me: I set my monitor to 75 Hz using NVCP to play R6S, I like to use Borderless full screen on that game because I want a 75 Hz refresh rate; at Fullscreen it goes back to 60 Hz, but that isn't my problem: My problem is that Windows 1809 seems to have the DWM damaged or something.

I always measure frametimes with RivaTuner, on Widows 1803 at R6S (or any other game) the frametimes were perfect at 75fps@13.3 ms at Borderless, rock solid, never moving, without me needing to use any framerate limiter. On Windows 1809, this isn't the case anymore and the frametimes are just worse on Borderless, fluctuating from 13.1 ms to 13.5 ms, I have no idea why. I have ran sfc /scannow twice and it reports no corrupt Windows files, somehow seems DWM is damaged and I have no idea if updating from 1803 could have messed up something.

My final resource is to clean install Windows 1809, but that's a LONG process, I would have to set every single thing up again, then updating it, checking stuff, re-configuring and reinstalling every single program, oh god, big chore... And I have no idea if it would solve my problem, I wanna keep 1809, the system is better with this version, but the DWM seems to be "damaged" and I have no idea how to fix this, I have tried different stuff to no avail. I can rollback to 1803, but I still want to troubleshoot these issues I am having.

Yes, yes, I know I could play on Fullscreen or just use RTSS to limit the framerate to get good frametimes; but the thing is that I didn't need to do that before, so it means something is messed up.

Nvidia driver is 441.87 right now.

Please help! :(

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Why use that mirror?
    Couldn't you download directly from Microsoft?
    If you really want to download a certain version, use Heidoc.net
    Didn't you made a full system image to roll back to it?
    And really, reinstall W10 on a SSD is a big chore? It's faster than what we have before, remember?
    Anyhow, start by using ISOs downloaded directly from source.
    This is the most basic aspect in IT, be sure that you have the right information/ISO/tool.
    I always make sure to verify the MD5 or checksum of whatever ISO I download, and directly from source.
    Sorry, it is not my intention to berate you. But I have little tolerance when the whole argument/issue is based on some flawed concept of false security.

3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I didn't need to do a full system image; I just updated, I can rollback anytime. But I don't want to yet. If you took the time to read my post instead of proving how arrogant you are, you'd now that.
    I wanted 1809 because a lot of users report its stable and reliable.
    1803 was giving me issues with Timer Resolution and the bcdedit commands I use on cmd. With 1809, that's fixed.
    Doesn't Techbench download directly from MS servers? So I don't see how that downloading source is invalid.

"But I have little tolerance when the whole argument/issue is based on some flawed concept of false security."

Don't really care what you think or your "tolerance", I just need some help here and you didn't provide any, you just came to "judge" me. Yes, reinstall is a big chore because I have many programs, game clients, etc. I didn't say SSD install was slow.

Thanks... for nothing.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i can understand this, and better to stick what is already tested before.

This what stirred me, you put your trust in some webpage, better to use the direct source. Once a file is already on another website download, chances are that the file was compromised, or better to assume that it is.

Ok, I already said that my commentary wasn't a sweet lullaby. And I don't backpedal now, but I want to clear some details.

First, after reading the "but the DWM seems to be "damaged" and learned that you used a third party download website, how can one be sure that form the get go, the file wasn't flawed ? Sorry guru, but I am somehow paranoid when it comes to security, so it is a knee-jerk reaction.
    Second, having a full system image can give you some leeway, either re-installing or rolling back. Write once, read multiple times -WORM mantra -

Third, how can you tell that DWM seems to be "damaged" . What tools did you use, or what error messages did you get? Try Autoruns from Sysinternals to check on that.

Fourth, maybe time will tell that neither you or I couldn't get along or miss the opportunity of offering support. No bad intentions from my side, you can check all my history here and will see for yourself. But I am asking to much, maybe.
    And fifth, maybe you are right. Maybe I somehow degenerated in some judgemental arrogant pr!ck. Time to check myself out- opportunity to help missed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020