Problem With RivaTuner 2.02 and Forceware 163.44 Beta....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Sithtiger, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    Guys, I'm having a problem getting RivaTuner 2.02 to work with the new Forceware 163.44 beta drivers. I'm running Vista x64 and I actually just reformatted and reinstalled last week because MS's last security update borked my whole system, but I digress.

So, I installed the new 163.44 drivers for the Bioshock demo a couple of days ago and I just now installed RivaTuner 2.02 again. When I try to bring RivaTuner up, I get this message: "Warning! Cannot load RivaTuner64.sys driver. Please ensure that this file exists in Riva Tuner's folder and your user account has administrative rights." Then I click OK and this message pops up. "Driver signing enforcement must be disabled in order to start RivaTuner under Vista x64. Do you want to disable driver signing enforcement now and reboot the system to apply the changes?" I say yes and it reboots and I try to bring up RivaTuner again and it starts all over again with these same two warning messages.

I've even tried disabling driver signing via a command prompt manually and that doesn't do anything. I do have admin rights and the RivaTuner64.sys is in the RivaTuner directory, so what gives? Is it possible that RivaTuner doesn't support the 163.44 driver? If so, what do I see people talking about O/Cing their computer using this driver and RT? Maybe they're using Vista x32 or something?

If anyone can answer my question, I'd be grateful! I just want to O/C my G80! I was able to do it before easily and I remember having to disable Driver Signing Enforcement, but after the computer rebooted, it worked. I'm open to suggestions....thanks in advance!

2. RanCor TDO

RanCor TDO Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080 GameRock
    i don't have vista 64 but from what i have read, you have to hit f8 while booting up, for the boot screen, and disable driver signing every time you load windows.

3. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    I wonder if this has anything to do with some new Vista updates recently, because if it is, that REALLY sucks! The thing is though, with my last install, I never had to do this at all. Also, I installed nTune and was able to O/C my card; however, when I reboot, it forgets the O/C settings and yeah, I did click Apply.

Maybe I'll try installing an older driver and see if it still does this. I just hate uninstalling, then using a driver cleaner and then reinstalling, especially if it's for nothing but I guess I have no other choice because I'm not going to friggin' hit F8 everytime I boot the computer! Still, I'll try it once to see if it even works. I bet it doesn't, but still, thanks for the reply. I'll try it to see if it still does it.

4. jrcallan

jrcallan Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8600gts
    With 64bit Vista the recent performance and reliability upgrades make it necessary to hit f8 at boot-up if you want to disable driver signing. I do this to run Rivatuner when I'm gaming and want to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.

5. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    Well RanCor TDO, you were correct. It worked and apparently MS disabled the ability to disable Driver Signing with their latest patches. I've got a mind to uninstall those update(s) if I knew which one was responsible for it. Do you happen to know?

Does MS think you should babysit Vista x64 EVERYTIME you boot up if you want to O/C now? Guess what MS, let me worry about accidentally installing the wrong driver in Windows, and if I do....it's my fault and no one else's!

Man, this pisses me off. This makes me wonder if that is what actually borked my computer in the first place that made me format and reinstall (since it erased all my previous system restores!)! So it looks like it's not the beta driver after all, but good 'ol MS. Like I said, if you RanCor or anyone else knows which update is responsible for keeping Vista x64 users from disabling driver signing, please let me know. I'm going to uninstall it right away!

6. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    Thanks, I just found that out. I take it there's no way to get around this then eh. Would you happen to know which update is responsible for this? I intend to purge it from my system!

7. jrcallan

jrcallan Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8600gts
    KB938979, I believe.

8. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
  9. jrcallan

jrcallan Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8600gts
    Also, bear in mind that MS built this system to prevent the use of unsigned drivers in order to improve security [and to require providers to pay for the driver signature rights]. The author of Rivatuner is unwilling to pay $500 to MS, since he built RT and continues to support it as a labor of love.

I am content to hit F8 ito run RT if I'm going to be gaming/OC'ing.

10. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    Thanks guys, jrcallan, are you sure it's KB938979 because I just read over at Anandtech that it's KB932596. Can you verify which one is correct? Thanks!

Oh and if this is the case, is there another program that will allow you to O/C in Vista x64 without having to do the F8 option? If so, I'm up for that too. I don't really care, as long as it works good and that's the only reason I use RivaTuner, to O/C.

*EDIT*
    Does ExpertTool allow you to O/C without the F8 option and if so, is it a good program?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007

11. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    WTH are you talking about? Never heard of an F8 option.
    Yes it's a good program.

12. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    OK, I found a thread where it says KB938979 is the culprit too. There's just one problem though. I can't find it anywhere in the installed updates! If that's so, how is it that I'm having this problem without this update? Have they changed the name of it?

When I'm speaking of F8, I'm talking about that being the only option to disable Driver Signing Enforcement, but if ExperTool works without having to do that, then I'm game. I like RT, but I don't have to have it, heck, I like Coolbits the best, but since Nvida no longer supports it, I had to move to RT. Now, it looks like I'll be moving to ExperTool. I hope it works!

BTW, because of what happened, I stumbled upon another hotfix that seems to fix a problem with BF2 and BF2142, which causes it to CTD if you have more than 2GB of memory....and I do, so I have this problem. Looks like this problem with Vista x64's DSE actually caused me to find a fix for it and something else!

Here's the article about that fix from MS. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

13. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    From the RivaTuner forum:

14. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    Thanks, now I see that installed, but are you sure it's the same one as KB938979 is supposed to be, because I saw allot of people talking about that specific update here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95709&page=7

I'm gonna test ExperTool and see how it is. On that some thread, I also read that PowerStrip works even with the DSE enabled, so if that's the case, I'd rather keep it on, ya know. I just need a good program to use for O/Cing.

15. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    see the rivatuner forum, this has been discussed to death and a workaround using atsiv.exe to load the driver has been described.

16. Sithtiger

Sithtiger Member

GPU:
    MSIGeForceGTX1070GamiX8G
    Thanks, just trying to find the d/l now, since it's been blocked by MS.