Problem with r9 280x and other issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by niconomad, Jun 27, 2015.

1. niconomad

niconomad Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    Hi, I've been having various sorts of problems lately so I don't really know where to post this thread.

1) 2 days ago my system wouldn't turn off. It would freeze on the "shutting down" windows 7 screen. So I would have to manually turn it off with the power button.
    It still happens though it happens 70% of times. I also noticed that when I turn it on and quickly shut it down, it will shut down correctly.

2) The second issue is that when I had adobe Illustrator running and opened Photoshop the mouse became laggy and then the PC froze. I'd have to manually shut it down. Happened three times, didn't try again.

3) On the other hand, the GPU will stop working some times, MSI Afterburner will stop showing temperature, gpu usage and fan speed. I opened The Witcher 3 and had around 8 fps average. That happened 2 times.

I really don't know how to adress this issue or where to start. Maybe you can point me in some kind of direction??

I'm using Windows 7 64bit and my rig is as follows:
    i5 2500k (no OC), 8GB Gskill ripjaws, R9 280X, GA-P67A-UD3.

Thank you for any reply in advance!

2. Jack Hair

Jack Hair Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970 @ 1200/1562
    I guess I would start by running memtest. It sounds like either your RAM or PSU.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do a memtest as Jack Hair said it will not hurt your ram...

1) By "freeze" you mean a real freeze: the shutdown animated icon is stopped or it's an apparent neverending shutdown?
    Sometimes it's normal for the OS to take longer to shut down because it's finishing one or various processes.

2) No error message at all?

3) Is the GPU stop a TDR? (Stops recover and an error message)

Or it's a different thing like an image freeze?

4. niconomad

niconomad Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    Did the memtest, everything is fine. It is a real freeze, animated icon stops, I can hear the hard drive stopping but it keeps on.

Anyway, I have solved the problem for now. It didn't happen anymore and I turned the PC off around 7 times with success. I unistalled MSI Afterburner and I was using the latest beta amd drivers, so I switched back to the Omega (14.12) drivers and everything seems to be working fine.

I really appreciate your replies, will post if anything goes wrong. Thank you!