Problem with Laptop HD

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by jeasondeebro, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jeasondeebro

jeasondeebro New Member

Hi all, i have a acer travelmate 660. but the problem is it's HD is 'kind of dead'!
    that means... if i keep my laptop turned off for a day and turn on the lap. everything works fine including the HD. but after about 40mins(of up time) the HD stops working almost completely(resulting in a load of IO errors). i can't figure out whats wrong... but it should be noted that the laptop gets very hot with time. may be the HD is shutting down because of the heat?

any ideas on whats happening? any help will be much appreciated.

2. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    sounds like your hdd may be going out on you mate.

heat could mess it up, but it would take alot of it. Does it run hotter now than it used too?

3. jeasondeebro

jeasondeebro New Member

yea it seems like it get hotter with the time(like the max temp goes high each month)... hmmm how much temp will it take to shutdown the HD? any approx value?

anyways now i think i am gonna try cooling the lap with an external fan and keep it cool... then i can check whether its the heat problem or not...

in case my HD is dead or gonna die... can i just run the lap with out a HD? :) i mean by using a external HD may be? i have two IDE HDs to spare... i wonder whether i can use one of those with the lap? i mean i know then it not mobile and all that but this lap is not made any use of right now so i guess its better to run it like a desktop :)

4. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    yeah you can aslong as your bios has an option to boot from your external drive.

If it has boot from usb device, you can put your OS on a flashdrive and then use the hdd for your storage :p

May as well get a new hdd tho if its dying. I just ordred one, a 250gb WD 2.5" drive. Its got great speeds and high storage so I should be happy with it.

5. jeasondeebro

jeasondeebro New Member

well once i removed the HD from the laptop physically and then booted it up with a linux CD(backtrack 2). but when the system was booting up... it just kept giving a load of IO errors and eventually it got stucked! i get this feeling that although my laptop HD is not percent... the system still try to access it... and fail... ? is this possible... and yep the bios can be setuped to boot from a flash drive or a external HD. But right now my major problem are those IO errors...

when the laptop HD givesup on me, when i am using it. the system starts giving some nasty IO errors just like the ones that comes when i try to boot a system with out the HD present. is it possible that this is some error in a cable or something like that? other than the HD?

anyways do you have any idea on how to get rid of these IO errors?

thanks... i am low on funds so i can't go for a new HD right now :) so i have to use some existing HD...

6. jeasondeebro

jeasondeebro New Member

hey the IO errors came from my CD which was damaged... and it doesn't have anything to do with my HD :) so i guess my problem was sloved... i'll get a external HD attched through USB. and then i shall install a OS...

thanks for the help Dierdre :)