Problem with Geforce GTS 360 M + Battery mode

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by leomon32, Mar 28, 2010.

1. leomon32

leomon32 Member

Hi everyone, I recently bought an Asus G60Jx computer with a I5-40M processor and a GTS 360 M graphic card. It works great really but the problem is when I put my computer on Battery mode, the frequency of the graphic card is lowered by 75% to save power (stupid idea, it means that I can't play games with that computer when I'm on battery) There's no Powermizer settings on the Nvidia control Panel and I have tried every register tweaks to add the missing values and any software that forced the powermizer, they all say it's off but in fact it's still there. (there's also no option on the bios).

Does anyone got the same problem and maybe have a solution for me ?

I have test 188.xx, 195.xx and 197.xx drivers from Nvidia and also the latest Dox Driver that supposed to enable/disable that... doesn't work...

Please help me I use my computer a lot and on the train the power unit goes up and down, so if I stay plugged it can fry my battery...

Thanks in advance

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Have you confirmed, when playing, that the values continue 75% lower than expected? I think that once you start playing, the card starts working at is normal values but i could be wrong. Use GPU-Z to confirm in case you are not sure.

3. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX6800M
    Make sure you have the "High Performance" power mode enabled from the battery symbol.

It's to be expected that componentds downclock on battery power as the battery probably cant supply enough watts.

Dave

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M

5. leomon32

leomon32 Member

Thanks for the answers I'll try that, but it stay at 1/4 of the power even if I put High Performances. I will check the new INF. I just hope it's not a nasty Asus software who does that anyway...

6. leomon32

leomon32 Member

I confirmed it doesn't work at all and for those who have the same computer / videocard, don't install that version of the INF, it cause the screen to stay black during videogames... Speed still 1/4 of the speed with AC on.

I have tried so far changing drivers / inf ... doesn't work
    I performances on P4G and Nvidia drivers panel or register ... doesn't work

Please if someone got the same problem, I travel a lot and well my new GTS 360 is far far worse than my old 9650GT (on battery of course)

7. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    I really never notice on my G51, but it really dont matter, once i didnt turn on the surge switch on and went into gaming, i lasted like 25mins, even if this are gaming laptops are not meant for you to play unpluged, specially a powerful gaming laptop. If the card would stay at full clocks maybe i would get 10-15minutes, but never tried it.

If you wish to play some unpluged try to get a culv laptop with a lower end gpu, like ASUS UL80Vt-A1, this laptops give you like 10 hours if everything turn down, i bet you can get close to 2 hours gaming maybe more.

Now if you really are interested you can flash the videocard to different clock settings or play with the powermizer settings, even you could try ocing it while with battery (not recommended though).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  8. leomon32

leomon32 Member

So I guess it's really watt related... Thanks for the advice (again powermizer doesn't work with GTS 360 M)

9. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M

11. leomon32

leomon32 Member

Thanks I'll try rivatuner since none software that handle the powermizer works.