Problem with games crashing.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jimmylee7706, Feb 19, 2012.

1. jimmylee7706

jimmylee7706 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 2GB
    Hey guys, first off thank everyone for reading my thread. A little background, I've always been a console gamer, other than World of Warcraft I never really played PC games. When Star Wars the Old Republic came out, I traded my mac for a gaming rig, I didn't build it myself, but its a pretty decent rig. Since I have a good rig for gaming now, I started playing more and more PC games, Skyrim, Reckoning, Fallout, but my computer was having issues with gaming.

Intel Core 2 QuadQ9400
    8gbs ram
    nVIDIA 9800gt
    650 watt power supply.
    Windows 7 Home Premium

The computer would often freeze up when playing a game and I would get an error message saying the device driver failed. I thought maybe it was the power supply at first, so I replaced it with a 700 watt power supply, same problem, the CPU was overclocked and I thought that may be the problem, so I set the CPU back to default, and still the same problems. So I replaced the video card with a GeForce GTX 560, still the same problem.
    The problem I'm having with the games now are the graphics will start to do glitchy and then the entire PC will freeze and play some annoying sound through the speakers. I don't know what else to try or if this is even the right place to post this. but I'll post my info file so you guys can see all my specs.
    The link below is my full spec report, hopefully it can help you guys out.

Code:
    http://pastebin.com/teDqTsZH
    EDIT:
    Forgot to mention, I reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC using Win 7 Professional, and that didn't help either, since then I've tried a clean driver install and still no luck.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Member

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    Did you check for RAM problems?

3. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Kinda a weak videocard for those games...

I wonder if you are pushing videocard too hard.

Also, have you been monitoring the cpu and gpu temps???

Install and run hardware monitor when you game and check the temp records.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

4. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    ^He replaced the 9800 with a 560

Check RAM, heat, HDD's health, SATA cables. I solved freezing problem once by replacing the SATA cables

5. synapz

synapz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    If you look at SWTOR forums you will see you are not the only one that have/had this problem and it's not about you hardware, it's about the glitchy game engine. I myself have had similar problems earlier. Especially after space combat, with ingame AA on, the weird graphic artifacts would appear and game froze. Sometimes I could recover to desktop and sometimes I needed to restart the computer. Have not had this for a while now, even with AA on but it might be because I have not done many space missions lately.

Try to turn ingame AA off, and maybe shadows and see if the situation improves.

6. jimmylee7706

jimmylee7706 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 2GB
    Its not just SWTOR, its Skyrim, Minecraft, Reckoning, pretty much anything, I'll run a ram test and see if it picks anything up.

7. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    yeah, you def need to run memtests on all the boatloads of ram you have as well as testing your CPU with something like Prime95. Its very likely something is going to come back with errors

8. jimmylee7706

jimmylee7706 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 2GB
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, turns out 2 of my sticks of ram are fault, running on 4gbs now and having no problems, I don't know that I'll ever need more than 4 but for now I'm happy.

9. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    4 gb is enough for gaming never gonna need more especialy for wow.