Problem with EVGA 8800 GTS Superclocked

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fonzieguy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Ok so I made a computer with an X2 4000+ 2 gigs of kingston value ram, Biostar TF 570 SLI mobo, the superclocked 8800 and a 450 watt dual 12 v rail powersupply with 17 amps on each of those rails. Now when playing games like the bioshock demo, medal of honor airborne demo and even crysis once, the computer would lock, as in sit at a still image of the game forever until i hit the power. I thought it was a power supply issue so i bought an Apevia Ice berg 680 watt PS. Still this has not fixed the problem. This problem also occurs for the game World in Conflict. I should also state the this computer is oced with the 4000+ at 2.7 ghz and the ram at somewhere less than 800mhz i wanna say maybe 7 something. But even with everything at stock it makes no difference and the problems will still occur. I didn't seem to have any problem with call of duty 4 interestingly enough so I'm not really sure whats causing it. All the games run great until they lock. Ive checked temperature and im a little above 60 C under load...
    I can get away with running world in conflict at 1024 x 768 medium and it wont lock...
    so... do I need to send my video card back to evga or what?

Also drivers do not seem to affect the problem as i have tried a million of them.

2. bluemoogle

bluemoogle Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260
    several factors i see in your profile

possibly temps on the video card. it might be heating up and causing the lockups. have you installed riva tuner and increased your fan speed?

the kingston value ram is stressed and cant handle your cpu oc. consider purchasing better ram for overclocking.

your 4000+ runs stock 2.1 and youre pushing it to 2.7? i think thats a bit aggressive. try lowering that speed.

unless you see artifacting, i dont think theres anything wrong with your videocard.

3. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Yes I've used rivatuner to make sure my temps are low, as for the ram and cpu speeds, the same problem happens when they are set to stock...
    Also the only game i have artifacted in would be world in conflict.

4. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    I don't know if this means much more but the Unreal Tournament 3 demo would not even start up. If I try to load it , it will hang.

5. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
  6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    have you made sure that DX is all up to date, and that you have all the necessary patches etc for windows, as well as the games you're playing?

What happens when you stress your system alone, using orthos or prime? If it hangs during a regular stress than your OC is not stable, and is most likely the cause behind it. That and your ram is not capable of ocing much, so that could be a definite factor.

7. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    I have no problem with any benchmarks, 3DMark 01 to 06. I'm pretty sure my DX is up to date though I'll check again, and download orthos or prime and see what that does.

8. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Hmmm still got nothing.

9. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000

From the information you provided, it looks to be you video card (imo), unless it is a voltage issue or something.

10. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Thats what I'm coming up with the only thing I have not tried actually are the drivers from the evga site the 169.28's though I doubt that will make a difference.