problem with 7870 xfx dd core edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by deejayfowler, Mar 16, 2013.

1. deejayfowler

deejayfowler Active Member

GPU:
    sapphire 7950 3gb vapor x
    hi i am new to the forums i dont have a clue if this is the right section for this but any help is much appreciated

right ive just recieved a xfx 7870 2gb dd card replacing my old 550ti now the problem is i put it into the mobo boot the pc up the fans spin on the gpu yet the computer does not detect the card ive tried updating the bios did not work so i reset the cmos on the bios still no luck i wiped all my old drivers out no luck booted up with the onboard gfx downloaded amds newest drivers still not detecting the card yet its spinning like its working fine any help would be tip top :D
    my pc config
    amd fx 6100
    mobo is asus m5a78l-m/usb3
    psu is a Cit 750w 230v with 22a on the 12v rail
    ram is 8gb of patriot
    graphics card current 1 gtx asus 550ti
    new graphics card 7870 2gb xfx

ps the new graphics card is connected by 1 pcie 6 pin connecter and 1 molex to 6 pin connecter

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Your new card is dead on arrival, sorry. You'll have to send it back for a replacement.

3. deejayfowler

GPU:
    i was assuming it has something to do with my power supply been a bit of a crappy one but the 12vrail seems to push out enough power which is required for the card so i guess the cards dead then but i am suprised the fans etc spin despite it not working :( thanks for the response Ice much appreciated

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    link to psu? 22amps on 12v rail, thats defo not 750watt

5. deejayfowler

GPU:
  6. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Okay, that PSU is quite terrible. I'd replace it ASAP, before returning the card even. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, your computer will be much better off.

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Seems kinda weird that a 750 watt doesn't have 2 6pin connectors??

8. deejayfowler

GPU:
    yh the psu deffo seems bad i am quite new to upgrading my pc etc so i only used the 750w part as a rule of thumb i am indeed hoping to replace the power supply its just i dont wanna break the bank since the card did a number on my wallet :(

9. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
  10. deejayfowler

GPU:
    ahh sorry should of stated i am from the uk i was hoping to wait b4 grabbing a psu seen as the mrs will murder me if i spend anymore i was wondering if this would suffice my power needs for the gpu etc http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARTIC-750...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item4163a400b3 this will be only for a few months untill i can gather a bit of cash for a proper psu

i recently found this on the net
    Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition - 31A and a 550W psu minimum
    Radeon HD 7970 - 30A and a 500W psu minimum
    Radeon HD 7950 - 25A and a 500W psu minimum
    Radeon HD 7870 - 23A and a 500W psu minimum
    Radeon HD 7850 - 21A and a 500W psu minimum
    Radeon HD 7770 - 19A and a 500W psu minimum
    so it seems the 12v rail is not pumping enough maybe the reason why its not detecting the card since mine is 22a and it requires 23a but the psu above i posted has 12v1 32a

or maybe even this 1 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-QUIET...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item20c3b73d09 for another cheap solution :p

11. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Wattage and amps don't tell the whole story when it comes to power supplies. You want to stick with quality brands. That means that if you're spending less than $60, you're probably just risking your components. The actual topology inside a power supply is far more important to consider than just the numbers. I wouldn't touch that PSU you linked with a ten foot pole, it's a no name brand. I know it sucks, but those are just the facts. If you really can't afford a good one, send the card back for a refund and get a good PSU with the money so that you can upgrade again later.

12. deejayfowler

GPU:
    yeah i see were your coming from just needed a gfx upgrade since the 550ti is dying out :p and having 2 kids kinda hurts the budget so a little stuck ill have to have words with the mrs see if i can debate a corsair psu out of the budget

13. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    The PSU may be bad but the card wont even show the boot/bios image ?Is that normal?Probably a DOA.

14. deejayfowler

GPU:
    the only thing the card does is spin its fans i tested to see if the molex to 6 pin connector was the problem so i tested that on my old card and that worked fine so power was going through fine it seemed device manager does not show the card at all cant see anything on the screen when that is primary display boot choice comp just beeps a few times and screen stays blank

15. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's probably DOA, but just to make sure I'd put a decent PSU in first.

16. deejayfowler

GPU:
    would u recommend i should send back and pray its just a Dead Card sorry missed your post :p yeah ill contact the company i bought it from arrange to send it back and try get my hands on a better psu do u guys no a good few psus for cheap what i can try find a deal on in the uk ?

17. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The Corsair CX500 is on sale quite often, see if you can find one.

18. deejayfowler

GPU:
    thanks ill keep a look out what are the names what are allso good i heard its like corsair antec what about coolermaster etc
    right sorry for all the pestering and questions etc i think ive found the power supply i can probs afford http://www.waeplus.co.uk/item/92303...-5?ref=gooad&gclid=CI-LyvaBgrYCFcrHtAodn3cAzg will it be strong enough to power all the things ive listed ?

19. deejayfowler

GPU:
  20. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yep, it will do just fine with those specs. If you ever decide to crossfire, you'll need to upgrade. But for right now it will be great.