Problem with 71.* and 75.* drivers w/ Geforce 6800 GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by My Pet Rhino, Feb 23, 2005.

1. My Pet Rhino

My Pet Rhino Guest

I'm having trouble using any of the 71.* and 75.* drivers that have been coming out.

I've uninstalled my current Forceware drivers correctly, as explained here in the forums, then I tried installing the newest 75.90 drivers to test them out.

Installation goes okay and the computer starts up without any visual problems... but when I boot up Half-Life 2, the video keeps stopping every couple of seconds, taking the sound and the mouse with it, then suddenly SNAPS back to life for another couple seconds before stalling again.

I also see this sort of behavior when I try to run Need For Speed Underground 2.

I'm not sure what the issue is. The card isn't overclocked or overheating, and neither is the processor. Everything is running at the default speeds. I am running an Athlon 64 3400+ with 1gig of Dual-DDR400 RAM. (PC3200) and my video card is a Geforce 6800 GT.

Has anyone else seen this issue or know how to resolve it?

2. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Have you used driver cleaner to clear out any old drivers???

3. My Pet Rhino

My Pet Rhino Guest

Yes, as I said in my post, I cleaned off my drivers using instructions found on these forums.

That includes using all the driver cleaners.

4. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

Tried disabling FastWrites in bios?
    That may help..

5. My Pet Rhino

My Pet Rhino Guest

Would I disable FastWrites in the bios or in Windows? I know I've seen that option somewhere but I can't remember where...

If the options are in both locations, does it matter which one I edit or should I edit both?

6. RTSAnime

RTSAnime Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    Actually your problem sounds like overheatuing. Most modern processors and gpus will scale down to almost being off if they detect a severe heat issue (this would cause the dramatic slow down) and then return to normal operation when temperature is normal. I would double check all your fans and case temp. (yes i did read your post but that is exactly what would happen to me on my laptop if there wasn't enough circulation inside its tiny little case. I had to put a lil desk fan and have it blow into the air intake to get it to stop).

7. My Pet Rhino

My Pet Rhino Guest

Nothing is overheating. Nothing is overclocked. There is sufficient circulation going through the case as I have two in front, one on the side of the case, and two in back.

Upon monitoring the temperature levels while the lockups are occuring, everything is normal.

8. JeffP

JeffP Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT 450/1.20
    Make sure the Sound Blaster drivers are up to date. Sounds more like a resource sharing issue. You might be a good candidate for the PCI latency tool offered in the download section of this site.

Also I assume all of your chipset drivers are the latest and greatest?

9. My Pet Rhino

My Pet Rhino Guest

Yes, all my drivers are up-to-date. I need the PCI latency tool? I thought that was a VIA chipset thing only.

Also, my bios does some with latency settings for PCI devices. Should I set it to a low number or a high number? I think the default is set to somewhere around 64.

10. My Pet Rhino

My Pet Rhino Guest

Thanks to all who assisted.

Turning off Write Combining in Display Properties helped fix this issue.

11. jumbo

jumbo New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800GT
    I used to have the same problems as you did, untill I found out that my harddisk was operating in PIO mode and not ultra DMA mode. Some how during booting it was changed.Strange but truth.

12. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Hi, As for your latency,,,,PCI latency in bios,,leave it set to 32.
    As for the pci latency tool...leave it alone. If you do fool around with your latency settings..good luck, unless of course you know what you're doing. If you change anything like that, you should do a google first on the topic, and be sure you know what happens when you change latency timings.
    :D

13. dadj

dadj Guest

where did u find those settings exactly? I have the exact same problems here..

Thanks! Right-click on your Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
  14. paintballer1305

paintballer1305 Member

GPU:
    Evga 6800gt 256mb
    what does turning of write combing do ?

15. Old_Fart_UK

Old_Fart_UK Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800GT 256MB
    Similar Problem

OK guys, hope someone can sort this one out.

I have a Leadtek Winfast A400 Ge6800GT, and an Idek Iiyama 17JN1 LCD monitor. I can use ANY drivers upto and including 71.25

After that, any version higher than 71.25 gives me a heck of a lot of artifacts on the desktop, and in menus, though very little within any windows.

Then occasionally I get the entire desktop and any open windows turning to a very colorful interference-like "mush".

I have tried removing all drivers using the cleaning tools available, I have even gone through my directories and registry and removed any and all reference to NVidia (I did find multiple dlls named nvcpl.dll, nvcpl(1).dll, (2).dll etc, which I removed).

I have tried turning on/off write combining and fastwrites, in all combinations.

There is no overheating (GPU Core 61, Ambient 48)

Minimal overclocking (384/1.06) although I get the same problem without OC (350/1.00).

HDD Mode - PIO/Auto UDMA/Auto

OK, any ideas????

Steve M

16. RobWears

RobWears Member

GPU:
    Winfast A400 TDH (Nvidia 6800, 128 MB)
    I was beginning to think that I was the only one on the planet with this problem! I've tried all of the drivers after 71.25 (including the modded versions) and have the same problems with the desktop. Interestingly the display for games seems to be fine even though the desktop is awful. Similarly I use driver cleaner when installing new drivers, and to be on the safe side I have also run the cab cleaner as well. My card is a basic Leadtek Winfast A400 TDH, not overclocked. No temperature problems (idle GPU temp 58, ambient 44; load 66/48 with rthdribl).

I doesn't make any difference what colour depth, screen resolution or screen refresh rates I try to use. Equally changing fast writes, aperture and write combining in any variety of combinations doesn't seem to make any difference. I would really appreciate any advice on how to sort this out.

Many thanks

Rob W.

17. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    I've been running 75.90's on my A400 GT, bios clocked to 405/555 with leadteks latest. These are the best for me and have really no issues with these ones.

18. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Re: Similar Problem

I have that same card, and while I haven't tried any of the 7 drivers yet, I know that the card ships with an outdated bios. Try a bios update available at the Leadtek site.

19. RobWears

RobWears Member

GPU:
    Winfast A400 TDH (Nvidia 6800, 128 MB)
    I've checked here, nvnews and nvidia forums and most of the people with 2d corruption have a 6600/6800 card and a via chipset. One guy said he managed to get the 7*.** drivers working without corruption by downgrading his via drivers to 4.43, but then found that he had switched from AGP to PCI mode for his graphics card. The more experienced forum members (ie NOT me) thought it was a conflict between the nvidia and via drivers. But that doesn't explain Old_Fart_UKs problems with a P4 system, does it?

20. Jehu92

Jehu92 New Member

GPU:
    6600gt
    exactly similar problems with an ati xpress 200 chipset (amd 64 motherboard pci express ) : 2d corruption for any drivers above 71.24 : even freeze during windows login sometimes
    I think the problem is on the nvidia side!!