Problem starting up with MSI HD 4850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by maniacdude88, Feb 7, 2013.

1. maniacdude88

maniacdude88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI radeon HD 4850
    Hi, I have been having problem starting up my desktop for the past few months now. I have been cracking my head to solve this problem but failed all the time. Any kind souls out there please help me out. Every time I shut down my computer it takes me a few attempts to log into windows. most of the time it hangs on windows logo (frequently) or blue screen after the windows logo (not always) but I am able to enter windows via safe mode. im guessing it has something to do with my graphic card or the driver. Because when I used a different graphic card( hd 2600xt ) I had no problem starting up the computer. please advice.

2. lieutenant

lieutenant Banned

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    Format and fresh os installation for a beginning maybe?

3. maniacdude88

maniacdude88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI radeon HD 4850
    tried that but still the same problem.

4. lieutenant

lieutenant Banned

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    cmos the motherboard second step, default settings (factory-outofthebox)

5. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    DId you get the HD 4850 recently? Try your old card or a backup/loaner?
    Double check to make sure your card is seated properly. PCI-E power plugs in all the way?

6. maniacdude88

maniacdude88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI radeon HD 4850
    lieutenant : I don't quite understand. Is it possible for you to guide me?

7. maniacdude88

maniacdude88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI radeon HD 4850
    No its old have been using it for quite some time with the same problem. I have to restart multiple times before I actually get to log into windows. To avoid the problem I refrain from shutting down the computer.

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Sounds like the power supply, maybe on it's way out. The GX looks to be a newer model. You may have a dud on your hands.

Any other power supplies you could try, or another pc you could try the card in?

I doubt it's the drivers if you already tried a new install.

9. maniacdude88

maniacdude88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI radeon HD 4850

10. maniacdude88

maniacdude88 New Member

GPU:
    MSI radeon HD 4850
    Hi, sorry for the late reply... had some problems finding a power supply but finally found it and when i tried it there was no difference still had the same problem. where else when i removed the card and fixed it to another pc it worked perfectly fine on the other computer. So basically im back to square one now. Please advice. thank you.

ps: when u say i have a dud on my hand. which were u referring to? hd4850 or gx2600 or PSU?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

11. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I was thinking the PSU, but that's been eliminated as an issue.

The new install eliminates windows as an issue.

Power supply makes no difference.

The HD4850 works fine in another computer.

Makes me think that there is a compatibility issue with the card and the motherboard. Maybe some setting in the bios can change this. Try resetting the bios on your motherboard. Look at the motherboard manual, usually there is a jumper you have to move to reset the bios.

This is all assuming that there is no other problem with the computer like bad ram or a failing harddrive. The bad harddrive is not likely since you had the issue for some time and the harddrive would have more then likely failed by now. The ram maybe the issue, but then i would fail no matter what graphics card you have installed.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013