1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Problem solved)How to show two different hardware info in same line?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by rdiameter, Aug 31, 2018.

1. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Member Guru

GPU:
    I'm familiar with how long file names work normally. Try it, it doesn't work.

2. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Ok, I'm out of ideas. :(

3. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Did you actually read what you were quoting? The file "MSIAfterburner.cfg" inside the "Profiles" directory holds all user-made configurations to the program. Program defaults are stored in a same name file (MSIAfterburner.cfg) located at the base of the program dir, besides the "MSIAfterburner.exe" executable.

So yeah, to recap, MSIAfterburner.cfg inside the Profiles dir is all that needs to be backed-up/saved/copied elsewhere/whatever.

4. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    I know what you mean, but my opinion is maybe next update will ruin the old cfg file in new setting command lines. (about this, I have a lot of bad experiences to share with)
    Any way it's just a theory, I still hope there is official backup button for safety storage purpose.

5. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Before updating, just zip up the whole Afterburner dir|folder beforehand. If anything is acting weird after upgrading, you can either restore the old installation OR use a "diff" program to compare what changed in the new vs. the old MSIAfterburner.cfg and edit accordingly.

Andy_K likes this.
  6. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Yep, for now it's the only solution. :(

7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Do you refer to MSI AB or other software you had problems with newer versions?
    For MSI AB unwinder always had incorporated backward compatibility of options, no need to fear. He use to extend options or define new, but never decease or cut of an option.

I get confused by your words... do you want to backup monitoring settings, or do you want to backup OSD layouts where you did put so much work in to get it all in one line like you ever wanted...?

All monitoring sources are listed in the Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg file in the section [Settings] at the option Sources. Every source with a + in front of the source name is selected for monitoring and every with a - is not monitored.
    Each monitoring source has it's own section, e.g. the source GPU usage has it's own section [Source GPU usage]
    In that section it is defined what monitoring options for this specific source are set.
    To backup the monitoring options for a specific monitoring source you have to copy&paste that section to another (or new) textfile of your choice.
    If you want to backup monitoring options for all sources it should be easier to backup that config file as whole even if there are some options included not regarding monitoring.

If you want to backup a specific OSD layout, e.g. you did on your own, than lookfurther down in that config file. You'll find the sections [OSDLayout0] ... [OSDLayoutN]. One of them is your Layout. If you named your Layout then watch out for the option Desc=your LayoutName. Copy&paste the entire section to a new textfile and save it to a secure location, like google drive, dropbox, onedrive, etc. etc. Even a complete crash, hardware failure, house burned down or whatever can't delete your precious OSDlayout and you'll have it at your fingertips whenever you need it. Just copy&paste it back at the end of the Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg config file, (re-)start MSIAB, select your OSD layout and you're set.

What do you expect MSI should do for you "backing up" settings?
    Just copy that damn config file to a secure location and when you don't want to reuse the whole config file just copy&paste the sections/options you want to use. A great help may be a better editor than notepad, have a look at Notepad++. It even comes with an default plugin for comparing two textfiles and enables you to copy from the backup file to the actual used config file, displaying them side by side.

command lines? Those parameters provided on the command line when starting a program?
    Or are you talking about options in the MSIAfterburner config file?

8. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Oh, sorry for the delay reply. I don't mean to be so whiny. I'll change the title very soon.
    About the backup, I noticed that OSD Layout lines when I checked CFG file. You are right, I can always backup those lines for next update.
    I just don't trust them. I've been suffered a lot of bad experiences from other software. I think I am a paranoia person. ;)

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    Thanks this is very helpful. I always knew stuff like this was possible but never bothered to sit down and figure it out.

Andy_K likes this.