Problem: router and LAN connection is active but there's NO internet

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by hunteraura, Mar 28, 2010.

1. hunteraura

hunteraura New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9300 GT
    I've been trying to setup a new network in my office.

I'll be replacing an old system where the internet first connected to my PC and then a router was connected to my PC's LAN card which distributed the internet of my PC to the other computers. The goal of the new network is: a) have the internet directly connect to my router so that my PC wouldn't have to be on all the time; b) the new router be a printer server.

PROBLEM:
    I successfully connected all the PCs, the printer, and the modem to the router. The LAN seemed to be working and the router can detect all of the PCs and gave them DHCP IPs. At the web interface of the router (192.168.1.1), it indicates that it is connected to the internet but when I launch browsers or any internet-related programs, it doesn't seem to push through.

Details:
    ISP: MyDestiny (Cable DSL)
    Modem: Motorola (SB5100 Surfboard Modem)
    Router: ASUS WL520GU (with Printer Server)

Settings I've tried Using:
    Router Setting: Home Gateway
    Internet type: Dynamic IP (I've also tried Static IP, etc)

Other Info:
    1) I've tried turn things on and off, as well as power cycling
    2) I also tried to revert it back to the old setting where the modem first goes thru my PC and then the router
    3) I've also tried cloning my PC's MAC address
    4) My PC can connect to the internet if I directly connect it to the modem

Note: There are times when I get a connection for about 5 mins after either: cloning my MAC address and/or power cycling then the connection drops again. However, it only happens once (i.e. after getting a connection from cloning my MAC address, when it disappears, cloning my MAC address again doesn't bring the connection back).

Looking through other forums, I've read some accounts claiming that MyDestiny has some issues with its DHCP servers regarding assigning the IP when a router is connected to the modem. I'm not really sure what this means. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Help will really be appreciated. Thank you very much!

2. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    IS DHCP enabled on both the routers ? Causing a conflict ?

3. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    It should be Modem-Router-Server(if you have one)-Switch-PCs.

Get your Modem/Router connect correctly, the server should be doing DNS and DHCP, if you don't have one you can let the router do it.

If you don't have a server.... why not? get SBS....