Problem installing Catalyst 6.6

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Mac01, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Mac01

Mac01 New Member

Hi,

i hope someone of you can help me.
    I installed yesterday the new 6.6 Catalyst on my System.
    I'm running a Athlon64 3800+ and Asus EAX850XT-PE under Win-XP Home.

After deinstalling the old NGO drivers and cleaning with catalyst uninstaller, i tried to install the new 6.6.
    Close to the end of installation it showed a prompt that tells me to install the standard VGA-driver before setting up the new one.

But the standard vga-driver is already running i think, also im not able to set up standard vga driver manually.
    I tried anything - booting in safe mode and deinstalling old files, deinstalling it from the hardware setup, cleaning the registry, usind Driver-Cleaner and so on.
    Nothing worked.

Does anybody here know how to help me with this Problem?

Thank you.
    I'm sorry for my bad english.

2. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    Uninstall everything ATI and mobo related and also .NET Framework (if you have it). While in Safe Mode run Driver Cleaner and remove same again, then run CAB Cleaner. Still in Safe Mode install mobo drivers. Reboot, windows should detect new video hardware, cancel and then install Catalyst (.NET Framework first if you're using it) drivers. Sounds drastic but it works. Good luck

EDIT: If upon reboot after mobo drivers windows detects the card as a "NGO" device then simply go to My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager and uninstall display device.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  3. Mac01

Mac01 New Member

Thank you Sir.

I try so.

4. Sinacle

Sinacle Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 1800xt 700/1600
    No! you don't need to!

I had the very same problem once. You need to press F8 (I believe, could've been an other F too) and select the bootup with standard windows vga driver option.

Did the trick for me.

5. Mac01

Mac01 New Member

Thank you for your hint.
    I've tried this already tonite, but in my case it won't help.
    I don't know why, but after booting i got the same error message as before.

GreeZ
    Mac ;-)