[problem] got audio playback but can't record, no task bar icon

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Dexter_afi, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

Hey, i got a realtek ac97 acl850 and i've been fighting non-stop with this weird problem that came up two days ago. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden the volume control task bar icon disappeared, i also realised i couldn't record any audio. I reinstalled drivers, tried the nvidia and the realtek ones but none worked, used driver cleaner, still no good.
    Yesterday i found a guy with the same problem, he tried to sound cards: a realtek ac97 alc850 (same as mine) and a SB live 5.1. The problem persisted with both, so it has it be a windows problem.
    Does anyone know what can be happening?

thank you

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    what happens when you go into Device manager? does it show any errors under sound?..You can reset the task bar icon in sound properties in the control panel..there will be a check box saying place volume icon in the taskbar. going in there will also show if you have problems. Give more info..do you have playback?..when you mean you can't record you mean what exactly? it starts but no signal?..it doesn't show any recording device?..what exactly do you mean..thats to vague..I'll help if I can but you nee to give me more info...

3. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

i get no errors. I can play audio files and video files or w/e that involes audio. When i reffer to recording i cant even press the "record" button in the windows sound recorder...
    Recording and playback devices show Realtek AC97 audio. And reseting the task bar icon does not work.
    Everything seems to be normal except it isnt :p

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For what it's worth sounds like driver corruption..What is your system set to for default recording device?..how many sound devices do you have?..do you have more than 1 card?..Get driver cleaner. You reintalled drivers..but that doesn't help if files are in use..the will not be written over..and if ones corrupted and being used..then your stuck..does that make sense?..what happend prior to this issue?..install anything new?..anything you can think of or did it just happen?..maybe go into BIOS, disable the device..this will free up the files..reboot. use add/remove to pull out the AC97 drivers..then use driver cleaner to remove the rest..make sure you have newest drivers..or atleast a version you know is GOOD. a version that you have used. and reinstall...that should fix it...try it out..but if you have answers to any of the questions..post back before going through the process..but that should fix it...but if you have mone than one device than this is probably not your problem.

5. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

i got only 1,
    i already used diver cleaner
    nothing happened prior to the problem, it happened all os a sudden
    i will try disabling the card in the BIOS and removing the files

6. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

i insist it is a windows problem becuz one guy i know hast the same problem and tried 2 different cards, please read my first post completely.

7. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

it did not work

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    hmm, OK when you go into Audio properties in control panel, under Audio at the top..it should have playback, and recording//what in there for a device or are they greyed out? Sounds like driver corruption for sure but just maybe NOT your soundcard..something in between..playback but no recording. you said this is just sound recorder?..try another recording program..maybe sound recorder is corrupterd..check that stuff for me and post back..

9. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

playback/recording are ok, they both shot AC97 audio.

i can't record with ANY program.

10. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    How about enabling the "Show volume control on the taskbar" checkbox under Control Panel ---> Sound & Multimedia ---> Sounds ---> Sound Volume?

If you can pop that up, you may be able to change the playback and recording settings using the default sound panel that Windows provides.

11. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

i've already tried that 100 times, that isn't the problem.

12. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

no one has any other idea ?

13. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    you dont seem too willing to take peoples advice, saying that you have tried things 100 times and you are certain it is a windows problem..
    format your hard drive and try with a fresh install of windows.. maybe you screwed something up.......
    if that doesn't work... pray

14. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

haha, all that people said i have already tried. but i thank your advice.. i really dont want to format, but that seems to be the only solution

15. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    If it's on-board audio, you could try disabling it in the bios, boot into Windows with it disabled, restart the computer and re-enable it in bios to see what happens. Perhaps you'll luck out.

16. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

ROBSCIX already told me to do taht, i tried but it didn't help. Thx tough..

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    maybe it's your chipset drivers? or Direct X, could be just the chip is pooched, di you send it a high voltage signal or such? it's weird that one aspect would work and the other wouldn't usually when a device goes it all goes...Maybe it's time for a new sound card.

18. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

somebody told me it is a virus... i think ill format, i got no other option..

19. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
  20. Dexter_afi

Dexter_afi Member

already did it, found nothing :S.