Problem and doubt with RTSS, please help! Getting ignored in RTSS forum :(

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Smough, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I need some help here! Hope someone can give me some info. So on RivaTuner there is an option "Framerate averaging interval" that is set to 1000 ms, this options seems to affect any game that's under the MSI Afterburner OSD even if I limit the fps or not, which does not make sense, but seems to be the case. So with the option set to a 1000ms, the frames seem to be slower or at least, to update slower, the thing is that this behavior can also be noticed in games, if I set it to 0, the frames seem to be updated quicker as well as the frame rate becomes static but also does cause dry stutter in some games rather than "organic" stutters or small frame rate variance. Witcher 3 is greatly affected by this. Forza 6 Apex also seems to react to this, problem is setting the number to 0 on that game's RivaTuner profile makes it very stuttery. Same for the Witcher 3. Also Far Cry Primal seems to react to this.

Changing the number affects the games, some games frame rate update period gets a bit slower, some games seem to go slower with this active. The frame rate cap can be active or not, games are still affected.

So my question is: What is a good number for this ""Framerate averaging interval"? 500? 200? 150? I could REALLY use some help on this matter.

Some games at default 1000 ms behave not so well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    AFAIK this setting only affects the OSD and statistics gathering. It has nothing to do with the RTSS frame limiter. If you set it to 0, then that just means RTSS is going to try and update the FPS indicator on every single frame. If you get 120FPS, that means you get 120 updates per second.

It stands to reason that this will increase CPU and/or GPU load.

3. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    deleted

4. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Use averaging 275 and refresh 60. You will get a smooth readout with extremely low performance impact. I've done a crap ton of tweaking to land on those numbers.

You are being ignored in other threads and by Unwinder because you have failed to read basic instructions. If you are monitoring too much you are going to hurt your performance. Turn on the performance profiling overlays and take a look. (Also ensure you're running in 64 bit mode). You should already know not to monitor power, but I'll mention it just in case.

Get rid of all the other overlays on your games. I personally think steam overlay is useless as MSI AB can screenshot. If you absolutely must run overlays, limit it to TWO maximum including MSI AB. I can at a minimum confirm uPlay has no performance conflicts. (Just that they can conflict/block each other, or not start up sometimes/on some computers.)

Go in MSI Afterburner\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg and set
    HwPollInterleave=2
    HwPollPeriod=250 (Or leave this at 1000 if you prefer. This is the main window, the performance impact is really almost none when minimized. I use 250ms because it gives a much better look at what is really going on, showing deviations from normal much easier).

You can also try toggling on Custom Direct3D support mode or Stealth Mode.
    Finally, click the i on the right side of MSI AB's main window and confirm the only program your OSD is monitoring is what is expected. If other programs are being monitored/detected that shouln't be, hold shift when clicking add on RTSS to add a profile that is toggled to OFF by default for all things monitored.

Smough likes this.

5. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Leave it at 1000.
    The reason that you're seeing static framerates with it set to 0, as well as stutter, is because as @RealNC said you are placing a high load on your CPU and you're probably CPU-limiting your game.
    If you're seeing issues with your framerates when monitoring them per-second (1000ms) then it's not RTSS that is the problem.

The recommendations for cookie above are unrelated to your original question as they are for hardware polling (like temperature) and not for software polling (like framerate) and may work very well or very poorly, it depends on your hardware. Like he said, he did a crapton of tweaking to land on those numbers but you need to recognise that what works for him may or may not work for you. I did a crapton of tweaking and landed on different numbers to him.

By all means, have a play with those settings but remember that the defaults are set that way by unwinder because they work best.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No, it is not affecting stutters in any form, and it is much better to read context help for this option instead of searching for some magic good numbers recommendation. It is affecting the way of instantaneous framerate calculation, you're simply smoothing _displayed_ instantaneous framerate graph when increasing the interval.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Thanks a lot everyone for the help, seriously. I feel more relieved now.

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Best answer, thank you so much for helping me friend.

9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Right... :rolleyes:
    Did you even understand what this function does? As unwinder stated this number is only for smoothing displayed fps not the polling of it. To fiddle around with polling times does not relate in any means to your setting "Framerate averaging interval".
    But... go ahead :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    CaptaPraelium and Putzo like this.
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Thanks for the sarcasm. I already understood that the option does not change the "smoothness" of the frames themselves, literally everyone just told me that. I said he gave me the best answer because yours was posted later.

11. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    @Andy_K I intentionally included settings for more than what he asked for just to get it all out of the way. I wasn't quite sure what the problem was so I covered all bases.

And yes, my settings are only suggestions. I made an OSD and tweaked the update rate so the numbers were readable to a similar degree that FRAPS is in realtime. (Why 500ms? That is so slow. You can't see frametime spikes scrolling by on a chart with that). The final values I selected could easily be tweaked maybe 10-20% +/- without hurting usability. It's not like my testing was scientific. I have shared these settings with a dozen people or so and done some experimenting to find a range where people like it most and give the best feedback, so that's something at least.

12. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What's your end goal about observing every variation in frametime with milisecond precision? I mean, there's a point where no ammount of messing with the vast arsenal of RTSS frame limiting capabilities will make up for a poorly coded/optimized 3D engine and/or potential hardware combo bottlenecks. A line must be draw somewhere right?

13. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    First of all, these are still default values.
    The single FPS number is volatile and does not have any meaning into digging into FPS lags, stuttering or anything like that. That number gives you a rough overview in what region of FPS your game is running on your rig. That's the reason I didn't touch them.
    When I want to measure FPS spikes I turn on benchmark mode, watch the graph (realtime frametimes, not averaging) and after all, review the log with the single frametimes.

CaptaPraelium likes this.
  14. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    I know that is the default value, if you use a lower value for frametime averaging, you will be closer to instant, but no so close that it's unreadable with large changes. The settings I use give me a good numerical readout combined with a scrolling graph that shows frametime spikes with good accuracy. And yes I know the color scheme could be improved. I've been lazy about it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Framerate averaging interval is not affecting frametimes at all btw, and it doesn't affect instantaneous framerate graph (displayed on OSD) as well. It applies to numeric FPS indicator and smoothed framerate history only.

INSTG8R and Andy_K like this.

16. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    what exactly?
    combining two or more sensors in one pane?

ctrl+click on pane you wish to combine with another => mousecursor becomes magnet icon => click on pane you wish to combine with
    Or:
    use right click menu item "Attach" and then click with the magnet icon on the pane you want to combine with.

To separate combined sensors use right click menu item "detach" for selected sensor or "detach all" for all combined sensors.

tekwarfare likes this.