Prime95

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Jflo22, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Hey guys, i just upped my voltage from 1.42 to 1.60 since thats the next closest voltage i cant take it to on my Asus board. The only problem is, that my idle temp runs at 52C. The only way I could get Prime95 to stop giving me errors after a 20 fsb OC was to up the Volatage. In 15 minutes, Motherboard Monitor had my temp up to 65C. So I'm wondering, is it safe to run my comp at these temps if Prime95 finds no errors?

2. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    i wouldn't....65 is mighty steep....are you sure that's the next voltage? ...my asus board allows quite a number of increments when upping voltage...

also turn off spread spectrum if you are overclocking, it can lead to stability...might actually be what's happenning...or leading to instability anyway

3. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Ok, Jeedai, I will try that. Yeah the next voltage up is 1.60. I thought it should be around like 1.50 then 1.55 then 1.60, but it only lets me goto 1.6. Is there a chance that Motherboard Monitor is way off on my temps? The reason why I say this, is that my case doesnt seem that hot at all when it registers 65 in Motherboard Monitor. So you are sayin that even though Prime95 runs ok, its not safe right?

4. BIOLOG

BIOLOG Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 GT/TD 128Mb
    Personally I wouldn't let my CPU exceed 60... Although when I was a complete n00b I was running at 61-62 under load and never new about it. Prime95 will run normally if your rig is stable. BUT at temps like that your CPU will slowly melt (die).
    On my MSI board, I upped my voltage to the maximum... But I can only do it in steps of 0.024v lol. However, I must warn you that it is generally not recommended to up the voltage by more then 10%...
    If you want reliable temps look t BIOS. You can calculate the error between idle temps (if there is one) and then add the same error to under load temps. It will give you therough estimate. Also, I recommend you get Sandra 2004 and do a 50 cycle arithmetic and multimedia CPU Burn. You can chose to record temps as well. I used it when I OC'd my CPU and the results were pretty comprehensive...

P.S have you tried different BIOS with more voltage settings?

5. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    hmm, this is the newest Bios out for my board, wouldnt it have the best updates? My Bios also registers about 10C more Idle temp on the CPU then Mobo Monitor or Speed Fan. I always thought Mobo Monitor was more accurate then the Bios was LOL? Also, I ran Prim95 for 4.5 hours last night with only a 10% AI overclock and It ran fine with no temp over 60C. Someone was saying in a earlier thread that the AI overclocking feature on Asus boards didnt work right or wasnt accurate.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  6. BIOLOG

BIOLOG Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 GT/TD 128Mb
    I think AI overclocking might have f***d up my card.... Vido I mean, lol. AI is a bit dump sometimes, lol

7. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    I checked my BIOS, ok, when you go to change the vcore, it gives you a list of voltages...1.60 is at the bottom, but continue to push the down key, it scrolls down :)

I'm sure your BIOS must be nearly identical to mine :p

8. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    sweet, ill go check it out now thanks

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    I have seen Asus boards fry a Prescott proc at voltages as low as 1.58vCore! Man, that's where your high heat issues are coming from....

I too have seen the AI OC fail miserably....in fact I haven't seen it work properly YET!!

What you want to do is LEAVE THE vCore SET TO AUTO, set everything to Manual, disable Spread Spectrum, and up the FSB slowly from there.

Make sure that you aren't setting the memory or performance to Turbo...that will keep even my non-OC'ed PC from booting.

Good luck,

FastVFR

10. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    hmm, if I set V-core on auto, it wont go up with the FSB right? So that would mean maybe only a 10% OC? Which is fine, but I would love to get more then 10% outta this thing. Or are you saying the V-core will automatically rise with the fsb?

11. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    Personally I wouldnt take the chance, at 65 the cpu starts to realy burn up once it hits 72 I recommend to run at defaults and turn ur cpu off right away amd let it rest for 30 mins, I just wouldnt do it for 20 fsb, maby 200 :)