Prime95 with AVX2 on on Alderlake?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Danny_G13, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hey, I haven't really bothered with stress tests on this new rig, I don't see much point any more, but I did run an hour of OCCT which was fine, and I then moved onto Prime 95 to see what happened.

Newest version with Alderlake compatibility etc.

With AVX2 on the temperature was immediately at 100C and while it ran ok for 5 minutes one of the workers did error.

Everything at stock.

Cooling is good - I have 3x120M bringing cool air in, 3x120M pushing it out, via Kraken X72 AIO on the CPU.

Idle temps about 20-30C and gaming temps top out about 40-60.

But with AVX2 on in Prime, it completely folds, pun intended.

With AVX off it's fine, like 70C and running stable.

I'm aware AVX2 stress testing is akin to placing a jumbo jet on a mini cooper and hoping it survives and moves it along, it's not designed for that level of stress but it's bloody nice if it copes with it.

Any advice?

2. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    If you get error even not OC then might be your ram or other hardware. 100c also be the cause of error but your cooling is not sufficient.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    re-enable the avx2 divider

4. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    P95 is not useful for stress testing anymore. It will put an absolutely meaningless load on your system. LTT released a video about this exact topic a few days ago.

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    It's equivalent of a Mini Cooper carrying a jumbo jet on its back. You're dead on, it's absolutely pointless - but that said, if your system DOES run P95 with AVX2 on, and does so stably, you know it'll run literally anything else reliably too. So it's psychological as much as anything else. If your Mini Cooper can carry that jumbo jet, it can cope with Minesweeper too....