Prime95 was recommended for me to use for an OC tester and can't get it to work.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by DeViLzzz, Jun 11, 2020.

1. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I can't get Prime95 to work at all. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. What is the deal with this thing now? I am trying to do an OC and it was recommended to use. Can anyone help? Also if not using Prime95 what are the best alternatives? I am trying to OC an i5 2500k btw.

2. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
  3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    You're better off not using prime95, it's extremely harsh and will push your cpu further than gaming/workloads can.

I like using Aida64 to check the stability of my oc and 3dmark to see the actual performance gains.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    which is good, because gaming workloads aren't going to catch that one case where defective memory flips a bit and corrupts the storage driver, causing the writing of 0's to your NVME or SSD.

ocsystem and toyo like this.

5. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I don't use an NVME or SSD so no worry there.

6. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Thanks for those recommendations. I definitely will be using those also. As for prime95 being harsh oh I know what has been said about it but I am old and so used to using what was used long ago and if it is still available well hard to shake old habits. I have heard of Aida64 and as for 3dmark I hate to pay for the full version but I guess free versions of that and similar are fine. I know there are games of course with built in benchmarks but not sure if as of now I have too many of those. Anyway like I already said I will definitely be doing what you mentioned also.

PS: Nice to see some activity in this community and hoping it can be a place I can park in well into the future as I needed a place to get my fix of pc talk.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Asus Realbench or OCCT are probably better and free alternatives,although 3DMark I would too recommend to get it,but Unigine Heaven or even Superposition its good stress test for GPUs,if you do rendering then Blender and Octanebench I can only recommend,Blender some render tests are very good for stress testing

Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks,Jura

-Tj- likes this.
  8. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    I only trust Prime95, and OCCT when ever need to test stability. so if you manage these two, you have most probably stable oc

9. I've seem some reporting issues regarding Prime the latest Windows and AMD BIOS/Chipset drivers issues as far as Prime95 being detected as a power virus; can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Been using AIDA to avoid this because of its frequent updates