Prices of the Playstation 5 and its accessories get listed: digital edition would cost € 399

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Oh man, I had totally forgotten about that!

I do remember the LZX archiver debuting on the Amiga in the 90s though, and its' subsequent acquisition and incorporation into Windows. I just keep forgetting it's still being used. :)

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am very surprised on how cheap the Dual Sense controller is going to be because of how much tech is in that thing I thought it was going to be $70-90 bucks. Depending on if the PS5 is going to have full disc backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS3 games or not is going to help me decide on which version of the PS5 I am going to get.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So I can essentially get both new consoles from sony and ms for less than a high-end gpu from nvidia. I think my pc gaming days may be over.

XenthorX and Loobyluggs like this.
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think PS4 backwards compatibility is all it will have, I've not seen anything from Sony that suggests that they have plans to go further back.

399 is definitely a great price if this is correct, I haven't bought an optical game on the PC since Rage and since I got back into console gaming a year ago every game has been digital on the One X.

5. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Base price is good, but not worry they will milk you on accessories, additional storage, which is really essential and games.

GSDragoon likes this.
  6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Chances are its around 50-70 euros for the drive and different design, and taking a hit on the rest as you now HAVE to buy games of the store.

Personally i'f i wasn't so into my films I would grab this up and save myself a good bit of money.

These consoles are being a bit cheaper than i expected, I do wonder how much of a hit sony and microsoft are taking from these console sales

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It has always been this way though, consoles have always been the cheapest and easiest way into gaming, But PC has always allowed for other things, though I do admit a lot of the PC only stuff is dropping off.

Have to remember that consoles are at their best at the start of the generation, and slowly that performance goes due to PC hardware coming out every 12-18 months.

I was talking to a mate the other day I said although my ps4 is a weaker system I am finding a ton of enjoyment on the exclusives. PC seems to lack insane exclusives

Serotonin likes this.
  8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    If this is true this is literally a steal.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    VERY interesting prices if true. I was expecting $600 for the disk version and $500 for the digital version. These are excellent prices for the hardware you are getting.

I really do believe though that Microsoft is going to pull a sneaky on Sony this generation and whatever Sony announce as the official price and they will undercut them no matter if they lose money. Microsoft are in a much better position money wise to take such a hit. Also with their lower end console in "lockheart" I believe this is going to be their price killer box, the same CPU and speed but a less powerful GPU, maybe a smaller SSD too for around the $300 range with their top end console being around $400-$450.

PS5's SSD setup is a custom design based on the NVME standard. They are using a custom firmware with dedicated decompression hardware (which has been said by Sony to be basically the same power as another Zen2 core). This coupled with A LOT more lanes of data priority, I believe they have 12 lanes whereas a standard PC NVME PCIE4 SSD only has around 4 lanes of priority and this is managed by Windows and not a low level highly optimised custom OS like the PS5 will have.

Their custom design in their labs has reached speeds of 22GB/s but like other have said its based on the files being transferred from its format, size, and what compression method is being used. But obviously Sony will have all this tested and locked down.

Currently I don't think any game has ever used even a PC NVME drive to its fullest potential. This generation we could be seeing games using/needing much higher bandwidth of data transfer. This will trickle over to PC eventually or more than likely something that blows it away.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I highly recommend you watch the Sony PlayStation “road to PS5” video on YouTube. It answers this very question on top of the follow ups you will likely have.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well if that is indeed the case I am going to be purchasing the digital version because all of my games that I own are digital now. I only own a few physical releases on PS4.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I will alert the village elders and make them aware of your sacrilegious ways...

13. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI

That just transported me back to 1990, wow. The Amiga. It was good in it's day.

Maddness and Exodite like this.
  14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I'm confused about pricing - so is it $399 without a controller and you have to pay for controller so it is at least $458? Or $558 with drive.

Do you actually do nothing else with a high end PC only play games?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    GSDragoon likes this.
  15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I didn't even know they were bringing out a digital only version. At £399 it's great value. I was considering going for the BluRay version for a £100 more, which is also great value, but seeing as I don't see myself buying 4k Bluray discs at £30 a pop anyway, I'll just go digital. Is that what all or you are thinking too?

16. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Has a console ever been released without a controller bundled?

Loophole35, Ricardo and Redemption80 like this.
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This will likely be the last console generation to even offer an optical drive.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I doubt it. I truly do.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I heard from opinions of other YouTubers that Sony might discontinue the PS5 with the optical drive in it at some point during the PS5's life cycle.

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Don't forget PS plus for 60 bucks a year to even go online.

GSDragoon likes this.