PREY REBOOT - It's a coming.... PREY 2 == Cancelled

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Member

GPU:
    True, but the Austin branch is comprised of mostly new hires, with only 20 staffers contributing to Dishonored (2012). The creative director boasted that "it's not a sequel. It's not a remake. It has no tie to the original. It's more like an Arkane version of the original."

Poor Human Head. At least they cared about the series. It's stuck in the hands of people who actively despise its existence. Arkane deserved a new ip, Human Head deserved to remain independent and ship their sequel, and fans of Prey deserve a better publisher than Bethesda.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well no not really. The Doom reboot had the same basic story line. Mars, Demons, Space Marine killing everything.

Prey had a pretty good story and the gameplay was awesome. Of course its still early but I'm sure it will be completely different than the original just like the sequel was going to be.

3. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I was just being nutty. I loved Prey. I'll never forget that moment in the bar where you get abducted as Blue Oyster Cult plays in the background.

Based purely off this trailer it looks like more of the same but wait and see I guess.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's a re-imagining of the PREY series.

And to say "It's stuck in the hands of people who actively despise its existence" is a very large assumption.
    Just because they are rebooting the series and making it their own thing doesn't mean they don't care or have respect for the original.

5. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Member

GPU:
    It's not an assumption, but rather a fact. Anything Prey related will be an afterthought at best.

- from the 2013 Kotaku story.

Trust me, I know no one will care that it, at best, has a tenuous connection to Prey, which shipped over a decade ago. None of the marketing even mentions the first game.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Why would they mention the first game when they are completely re-imagining the franchise?
    They are not carrying anything from the first game over other then the theme of hunter/prey. There's no reason to mention Tommy, the Sphere or any of the events of that game.

And, DisHonored... was inspired by Thief. Not System Shock.
    Sorry, I trust Kotaku about... zero.

I'll go with that facts that I'm disappointed it's not the Human Head PREY 2. But, the concept looks interesting, and Arkane are a solid studio. I trust them.

7. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Member

GPU:
    Kotaku were a 100% correct about Arkane taking over the series and Bethesda lying to fans.

I hope it doesn't work out, and the game fails to find an audience. :)

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Looks great, but, this HH situation...

On the otherhand, I feel if we don't support this game (if it's good that is), then, we stand to lose another studio. Business is harsh as it is. I'd rather Arkane don't fail.

BTW, I don't think it resembles the original Prey at all. This could've had a different name and would probably still sell.

That red eye...that's nothing, should've seen mine when I was in my early teens and both skinned over like a zombie.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    That's ridiculous, a game should be judged on it's own really, outside of the series, unless it's an obvious direct sequel. That's like damning Dues Ex Human Revolution before really seeing what it was like, which far outstripped invisible war and near matched Deus Ex.

Arkane are skilled game makers, they know what they're doing and this is a solid IP to work on. Bethesda are shi t in their management of prey 2 for sure but it's not as if it was a world breaking series.

I wouldn't mind having a prey 2 being released as a budget series game, I can't imagine there being much to work on it left, but I can see how they want to protect what little IP they have. Prey as a series boils down to scifi setting with lovecraftian inspired threat, i'm not convinced the native american mythology added anything to it, they certainly were not fun levels for me.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  10. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Member

GPU:
    LOL! Some people really are suckers for marketing. You do realize you're mindlessly repeating marketing bullet points, and failing to offer an original perspective or anything remotely insightful.

When your name is part of a series, you invite these comparisons because there's an established history there. It's ludicrous to create a movie called Taxi Driver, and say don't bring any of those expectations of Travis Bickle, New York, or loneliness here, because a panicked marketing team decided the essence of the series is taxi's and cabbies offering rides to paying passengers.

Why on earth would I be happy that "Prey" shares nothing in common with it's predecessor besides the name? Should I be wrapped that I'm never going to get to experience Human Head's game, a shooter that pretty much everyone wanted to play, because these same scumbags tried to consume them ala Borg assimilation? **** that!

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Not totally sure you offer an original perspective yourself outside of big bad evil corporations out to stick it to the little guy. Not that I know bethesdas marketing strategies by heart, they make dull expansive games, and I did not watch anything E3 related. This looks to be one of the publishers more promising prospects because they are not making it.

We don't know how broken the original prey 2 was or is, it's unlikely a beta will ever be leaked. It may not have been what the publishers wanted or even playtesters liked that much, we do not know, there are scant perspectives on it. Most positive ones seem to originate from Human Head themselves. Again, I would love to try that game.

Prey is near a decade old and the playerbase for that, what slight it was, has since moved on (because it was no massive hit). Guess you've not.

But it's ok, i'm wrong, you're right. You've won this internet argument, 10 points to you.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Bethesda didn't "lie to fans" about Arkane working on it.
    It's a common business move in this industry. Every year leaks role out, pointing to studios working on unannounced projects which publishers and developers deny.
    It's simply done because they are not at a point in which they are ready to announce anything. Because you don't know that early on if the game will make it.

Why would you want a game to fail?
    Arkane are a fantastic studio. They deserve the chance to prove their title can work.
    To wish it to fail simply because it's not Human Head's PREY 2 is childish.

I love Human Head, I got to know Chris and several people at that studio while they were working on PREY due to my connections with 3DRealms. Great guys, friendly... and very passionate.
    So, I was and still am heartbroken that we'll never get our hands on their PREY 2 (which was second version of the sequel).

But, that being what it is, I'm not going to pass on this new PREY simply because.
    This game still looks and sounds very promising. And I love the dark, thriller/horror vibe they are going for.
    Yes, I will miss Tommy... but, I'm not going to wish for a talented studio to have a failure game simply because I'm personally jaded about the business relationship between a different studio and a publisher.

Also...
    ... as much as I think the game looked amazing. There were tons of people who hated the new direction. Hated this being PREY 2, and thought the game looked forgettable.
    Specifically several news sites were unimpressed with the game. Now, it's possible this was just bad marketing and had it been released, it would've won people over and been great.

But, you are generalizing based on your own skewed views.

But, in the end, if you're not happy with this new PREY, fine. It's understandable.
    But, don't be so childish to wish for the studio to fail. Arkane are a very talented studio, and they should deliver a fantastic game.

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 2060
    i'm new to this game, can anyone please explain what Prey is about in the first place, i know the game came back in 2006 i think, im not sure, but never played it and don't know about it.

14. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580

P.S. The game is developing on CryEngine :nerd:

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Prey reboot will be a metroidvania adventure

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-04-prey-reboot-will-be-a-metroidvania-adventure

16. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I hope it is a fun game, but if that is using the cryengine.... it looks average. Still got a year to come out, so I am not going to judge it. Only mentioned it since you said it was cryengine.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Is that true? Im possitive it will use idtech6 engine just like Quake Champions.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    At the end of the trailer it shows the CryEngine logo along side Arkane and Bethesda's logos.

And, remember back when there was word that Arkane had licensed the CryEngine and everyone thought it was for DisHonored 2....
    Seems it was for PREY.

The trailer looked interesting.
    Still curious to know about the actual gameplay. But, I'm on board. Arkane are a talented studio. And, what they've shown here is caught my eye.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Ah, thats not good. Every Cryengine game lately is a mess. Homefront being the latest one and you probably know it runs like crap.

Im also playing Star Citizen on latest Cryengine, it looks good but it runs bad. They also said SC is getting a dx12 update this year so hopefuly Prey 2 devs will have that in mind.

Original Prey used idtech engine so i thought....

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Haven't played the new Homefront, waiting for a sale.

But, CryEngine definitely seems like a steep engine for studios to really get the best out of.
    I'm hoping Arkane are able to do some great stuff with it.
    But, they've used the Source Engine, UE3... now they are using CryEngine and their Void Engine. So... we'll see.

But yeah, I was hoping it was using idTech6.