PREY (2017) | Prey 2 [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    yeah well i had the urge to push through using only main missions and im doing just that, because i got bored of chasing keycards etc..

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Pls help I can't progress. I found some people on cargo bay. Via using a docking module. Done some some stuff. Now main quest shows bridge. But the airlock is locked. Guy said your brother locked whole station. Can't find a door to progress neither outside of the station. Or from cargo bay area.

Quest is reboot.

Edit. Reactor control room the place I need to get in but can't

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    You need to kill the technomancer enemy in the water treatment part

Just did that

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Thank you. progressed already.

dam almost at what ? 40 hours and still more to go. ffs. I need this game to END soon. need to play SURGE and Andromeda .

edit: Shame Wrench is not upgradable with any kind of special perk or what so ever.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Johnny Cash and cry erry tiem.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    This makes me despise Beth even more. Prey 2017 was extremely meh. Even the small amount of gameplay shown in that vid was better than anything i played in Prey 2017.

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I just started the game not long ago, but I have to agree it both looks and feels pretty dated.
    It's all right though.

9. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    My gosh what a shocker.

Just bought this game on the premise of crytek engine.
    What a piece of garbage. Graphics look like something from mirrors edge from 2008.

Back it goes getting refund if this is the quality of graphics on pc in 2017.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Visual fidelity is important. Something you first notice when you enter a game is graphics. You cant deny that.

I agree, Prey is not a looker. One of the worst iteration of Cryengine (Visually).

Still, game is not that bad and how the game looks isnt everything. Next time atleast try not judge book by its cover.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, but to not give something that might be good a chance because of visuals is a waste imo.
    A good game with bad visuals will always be a good game, and vice versa.

Same thing with films, watching a bad film in 4k HDR would never be as good as watching a VHS of a good film.

Saying that, i I may be a hypocrite, as because while i would accept dated visuals i will never accept aliasing, so a game will be put on the backburner until a solution arrives in the future.

I have never refunded anything because of that though, but i do tend to research purchases.

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it's so annoying that i have to fly around back and forth to get a tiny item to keep the story going , it kills the fun of this game

13. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Made worse by the fact that when you're out there in space, theres no point in exploring as everything is locked down until the game decides you can go there.

Just exploring in general was pointless. Every time i thought i found an interesting route that was hidden from sight (or even IN plain sight), there would be a dead end with nothing there or just an unhackable door. It got worse though, after realizing that im not getting through that door, id carry on with the mission only for that mission to take me to a room that would unlock another door i couldnt get through previously and discover that both of those doors are the same door and simply lead to the same place.

The constant let downs of exploration in Prey was just ridiculous.

Oh, and the broken physics in this game. The amount of times my health was halved because an object small or large that i was carrying came into contact with another and spazzed out causing both objects to go flying with one either directly at me or ricocheting into me. So far Human Revolution is the only game that Ive played that had a game mechanic like Leverage, that didnt seem to want to punish me for playing that way. At least get your physics engine right if youre going to have such a play style and skill tree.

I really really wanted to like this game, but the poor physics, lame exploration, boring enemies, lazy NPC interactions, zero atmosphere... i cant understand how it got the praise it got. It just felt like a "nothing" game. Im willing to bet that in a few years time when gamers look back, it'll be the Bioshock Infinite of this gen.

14. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    ^^^^^
    +1

I felt exactly the same within the first 20min.
    I felt sick, so got the refund.

15. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    I could go on forever...

The other thing with exploration and Leverage skill tree was when you finally get that level 3 Leverage upgrade, lift on up that crate/couch etc, walk on into that new location *oooh the anticipation!* walk around a corner and then think to yourself "This looks familiar... Oh...ive already been here. Ive been here via the door on the other side and around the corner thats been unlocked since the beginning of the game."

*Reloads save game made before spending skill points*

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Spent 30 hours in the game, and didn't put a single Neuromod into Leverage.
    Between the Recycler grenades (which will clear out blocked door ways) and the Mimic ability (turn yourself into something small, get in that way)... there's zero reason to bother with leverage.

You may see a "nothing game"... but, plenty of other people see much more.
    PREY reminds me of the great times I had playing System Shock 2, playing the original Deus Ex.
    And it brought that back wonderfully. Might not be the game for you, but, it's definitely the game for a LOT of people.

17. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Im aware that there are many methods of access to the many different areas in the game, but the method used has no affect on what you find in those areas. In regards to exploration itself, it often results in more ammo/energy spent, than what you get back and thats if you get anything back at all.

My gripe specifically with the Leverage skill was the poor implementation of physics. When using a skill designed to allow a certain play type, your physics engine should not be capable of killing the player though physics bugs that are far too frequent to have gone unnoticed during testing.

I do not enjoy having my health lowered because 2 crates/boxes freaked out when i was lifting one of them, then get attacked by a mimic once in that area, ammo is spent, health packs used and to top it all off, im "rewarded" 9/10 with nothing but a pointless email between 2 non-existent NPCs that i dont care about of who are discussing nothing but their issue with their predicament at the time, all of which adds nothing to my experience. A big game full of small fluff that takes more from the player via exploration than what it gives back.

Prey is a game completely at odds with itself, lacks basic logic in its design and does not know whether it wants to be SS or Bioshock all the while failing at what made both of those games great and most certainly does nothing to surpass or improve on either or even create an identity of its own.

Its telling that those "plenty of other people see much more" who enjoyed it arent saying "Boy that Prey games is great because of that unique thing/s it does and new feature which has raised the bar". They're saying "that Prey game was great because its like Bioshock in space and reminds me of SS". Its a reskin of whats already been done and done better 10+ years ago.

If you were to take the hacking game from Bioshock 1 and turn it into a standalone mobile or psn etc game that has random start/finish points, it would have more replayability and challenge than the game of "play your own way" that is Prey 2017. The hacking "game" in Prey 2017 was quite frankly, insulting.

Insulting is the word i would used to sum up my time with Prey and makes me even more disgusted at how this game got the green light, when what was meant to be Prey 2 got what it got.

Rather fitting though i suppose. Human Head tried exploring new ways to play and were ultimately punished for it, just like Prey 2017 punished me for exploring.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  18. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    What's the most amount of enemies you've encountered at once? I think I saw three once. Is this a combat game, or more of an exploration/crafting game? I love the crafting/weapon upgrade mechanics, but if there aren't many enemies to sink those teeth into...

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's more of an exploration game with combat.
    I've gone into rooms that had about five to six enemies in them, but they were a complete pain in the ass.

Really had to get creative in how to take them down.
    With how PREY is setup, even one enemy can be deadly.

20. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    And then realize oh crap when I throw big crap at enemies it kills them really really really fast, and I dont have to waste ammo.

*reloads save game made before i jumped to conclusions.

Also, almost at the end of the game, and a physics bug has killed me once...

As far as the game though:

1. I generally don't judge games against games that promised the world but ultimately don't exist for one reason or another. Really easy to promise the world in a game if all you had to do was make an E3 presentation and not a real product.
    2. Also, I don't think every game has to take an existing formula and make it better. Just telling a different story in an existing formula can be enough. I think 99.99999% of all games fall into this category. Very few add something to a genre other than a new setting/story. So yeah the game is similar to System shock, bioshock, deus ex, etc.... woopty dee doo. Heck Bioshock added nothing new to the genre in fact it dumbed it down. That didnt make Bioshock a bad game, and I don't think Preys adding nothing new makes it a bad game.

Also I am not finding that I am being punished for exploring, it is paying off in almost every circumstance, you must have a broken game.

To be fair though I think Prey is a 7/10 game. Something is definitely "off" with it to me, not sure what it is. It has moments where i really enjoy it and others where it is boring. I do think presentation aka graphics did this title no favors. The atmosphere is just lacking, and that detracts from it a lot. I think if this same game had the presentation that the last alien game had it would add a tremendous amount of what this game is missing.

Last edited: May 28, 2017