Preview: Intel Core i9 Skylake-X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm indifferent and objective. That tends to rub some the wrong way.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Nobody is objective.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Not sure if that was intentionally ironic:
    If your statement was subjective, it bears no weight and therefore is meaningless to say.
    If your statement was objective, it is contradicting itself.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Case in point
    :banana:

5. b101uk

b101uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    but in reality a vast amount of PC end users don't care about OCing anyway, and likewise want stability, it is only the small minority who inhabit forums like this who care about OCing, so in the grand scheme of things OCing ability is irrelevant.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Those rare moments when I want +10 button next to post instead of just +1 ...

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I agree, but you have to remember who i9 is catering to. Remember, 16+ core x86 builds have been a thing for a while now. To my recollection, these Xeon chips I'm referring to aren't artificially crippled. i9s are still stupidly expensive, even to many enthusiasts. The only reason to be excited about i9 is because of overclocking. The Xeon counterparts are more expensive, but they're more capable too.

EDIT:
    When you compare these Xeons to Threadripper, basically anyone who isn't running a server/mainframe is going to pick Threadripper - they offer more PCIe lanes, offer higher clock speeds, lower wattage, and will cost not just $1000, not $2000, but possibly past $3000 cheaper. So, Intel creates i9 - an overclockable series much cheaper than their Xeons, but stripped down in ways they hope nobody will pay attention to.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  8. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    well i was referring them locking features that you can unlock with a key ...like ondisk dlc on games but yeah makes no sense to lock virtualization on the 2600k ...i wonder if crack teams will bother to "crack" those features

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Most stupid part is that each feature has been already paid for since transistors are in place.
    That means reduced profit. And yes, since I consider this practice totally stupid, I hope someone will crack it very soon.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'd get a good laugh if someone managed to re-create the key with a blank key-board (card?) and an Arduino. I'm sure it's possible.

And then, I'd be sad, as I'm reminded that someone had to actually put that much effort into something that should've been available to them from the beginning.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Actually Arduino is enough to be put in between one of those keys and MB. Record all communication. Find patter on requests and responses and you have it all.
    Man in the Middle Attack to this is easiest thing ever. And it would be laughable if this key was recreated by $2 Arduino Mini board.

12. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Here's hoping. I'll be laughing it up if it gets cracked.

13. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Look how much more a 7700k costs over a 7600k. Approximately 50% higher cost for not even cores, but hyperthreads. Its par for the course. If you want the best and fastest, you pay a premium. Its like this with any product out there. Nobody is getting screwed because these things are luxuries, not necessities of life.

The problem is they need an alternative to Intel's offering to spend their money on, and AMD has yet to deliver on anything i'd consider. They need to see their market share going to another company before they'd make changes.

If some of you guys spent as much time criticizing AMD for over hyping and under delivering with every product as you do complaining that Intel is a greedy, stupid company... you might have a better chance getting AMD to step it up and stop being content with being so far behind Intel. I don't think many at AMD have the desire to risk what is necessary to put them on top. They've had a defeatist attitude in their upper management for much of the past decade and even though this seems to be improving, i would be surprised if they're as driven as they claim to beat or at least be a viable alternative.

Does anyone remember stuff like this, just a few years ago?
    https://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/AMD-will-not-chase-Intel-making-needlessly-powerful-CPUs

14. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I hope everyone even considering a new pc buys amd to push along a new era of high core pcs.

If intel had their way we would be chugging along with 6 cores for the next decade at a premium and 8 core extreme editions would still be standard at the cost of 1 kidney or 3 fetuses.

A want AMD to set a standard or 12+ core enthisiast purchases across the board.

Lack of quad channel ram for threadripper does suck though but you get way more pci lanes....fair trade.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  15. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    if i was to buy a new pc it would have been ryzen for sure still thought with my budget is limited and since the 3770k still covers my needs and then some i will wait till i really need an update i am so drooling over a 1600 or 1700 !
    Lack of Quad channel for ram for threadripper ? except if i am terrible wrong ... i am very sure threadripper does have quad channel support ^^

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    ??
    Threadripper supports quad channel RAM...

as to how well and at what speeds, now that remains to be seen ofc.

and yeah, definitely looking forward to upgrading my system to this or maybe holding out till Zen+, depending on my growing needs.

These changes to higher core counts hitting a bigger market will greatly benefit us all in the long run :)

17. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
  18. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Most businesses utilizing workstations will not utilize RAID locally. For anything above semi-serious usage, businesses will always mount iSCSI from a proper NAS/SAN. X299 is also a consumer platform, meaning these are really just done to please consumers, most notably, the most vocal "power users". Unfortunately for us, we are the minority. The vast majority of sales aren't the unlocked i5k or i7s SKUs, but standard SKUs or server/mobile chips.

Why Intel is locking RAID? I have no idea, but personally I would never use hardware RAID on a workstation. Plus, RAID is NOT a backup, please remember that if you care about your data, yes, even RAID1.

I agree things are messy right now at Intel, but please don't overhype TR. TR is effectively a 2S system on a single chip, meaning there is a whole new can of issues regarding optimizing performance, including where to plug your PCIe AICs, and how your software responds to it (NUMA).

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't get it... you point out that these more-expensive products are luxuries, yet you said you currently won't consider anything AMD has to offer; if you don't care about luxuries, why not? You own an i5 (suggesting you don't want to spend heaps on "luxuries") but you overclock it (suggesting you care about the extra performance) yet AMD currently offers products that are arguably better than the CPU you have now for the same price as a new i5.

That's not how it works... at all... By your logic, you're saying AMD is willingly offering inferior products and hurting their sales. Had it not occurred to you that AMD's products have often been worse because they aren't getting the sales to refine their products? Do you know why AMD gave up in the high-end market? It's because they didn't have the resources - this was a direct result of Intel's greed.

When you try to solve a problem, you don't patch it up and call it a day - you stop the problem from its source. AMD's inferiority has always been because of lack of funding. Even when AMD had a superior product, Intel still managed to suck all the sales in.
    AMD is not the only company who gets hurt by Intel's actions. IBM and ARM have also been direct targets of Intel. That being said, it isn't specifically AMD that I'm biased toward, it's Intel that I'm biased against. AMD does things that annoy me a lot more often than Intel, but Intel is a legitimately unethical company. For me personally, I favor stupidity over hostility.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's a good point, until you realize that unless you bought the most high-end i9s, you won't have the PCIe lanes to spare on a discrete drive controller.