Preview: Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Let's preview the Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3 which is intended for the first wave of Intel's Skylake-X processors that will be released next week. This is just some simple common coverage with an ...

Preview: Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3

2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Have these Previews/Reviews always been full of passive-aggressive rants? Its really getting worse. Let people make up their own opinions, no need to ruin the reviews with that.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Uh...that's what a review is, opinions based on facts.

You basically just said "Hey, stop doing previews/reviews and let everyone else preview/review items so they can have their own opinions." - What nonsense is this?

If you don't like the opinion portion of reviews, stick with the technical data, which is generally listed on the products webpage.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is not a rant, it is a reflection of what is real and what has been happening for months now. You might not like it, but this is what Intel is and is doing. I am not going to sugar-coat anything.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    You can shove those into a conclusion section if you want to, but in the middle of presenting the technical data it has no place there, imho.

There is a difference between an objective review and spoon-feeding people a certain opinion.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I thoroughly agree with Hilbert's take on this. The board is very nice, but Intel's approach to this is frankly appauling - having to PAY to use RAID - seriously... no thanks.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well they are deserved. Intel has really ****ed up in the PR department and because of that Hilbert and others are suffering professional and financial consequences.
    And because of that Hilbert and others now depend on hardware makers to have access to Intel cpus otherwise there is no other way for them to make their reviews. Unless they buy the cpus from their own pocket, something i don´t think it´s possible, specially considering the price of some of those cpus...
    I really can´t understand Intel´s decision about this matter, so stupid and they don´t gain nothing with this. In fact it´s even worse for them.

And i think Hilbert is being really polite about this, if i was in his shoes, i would tear a new one on Intel...

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So your idea is people should not know what is going on, because you don't want to know? Sorry, you're not everyone. I know, some people have a problem realizing they are not everyone.

9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I was referring to all the cheap shots on the second page of this article, not the summary of the PR situation on the first page, which is fine.
    Like I said in an earlier post, there is a difference between conveying information and just taking cheap shots as often as you can.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You've had your say, I'll leave it at that. Right now though I want this thread to get back on topic, which is the motherboard preview.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I see no problem with how you presented this product. Everything stated is factual and objectively delivered.

The bugs you alluded to in another thread. Are you able to talk on those yet or do we need to wait for the full review?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm curious about this as well. It's looking more and more like I'm going to end up getting the i7-7820X but I'm going to be really annoyed when I preorder this thing on Monday and find out afterward that the entire platform is a buggy mess.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Does not seem like a worthwhile venture to get the lowest tiered i5 and i7 seeing that they use more power than Intel's mainstream platform, and are only dual channel memory support...I'm trying to see where this platform makes sense?

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The platform is going to see BIOS updates for a while, I have no doubt there. My primary issues have been memory compatibility and huge perf drops in gaming.

Yesterday however for the board I am testing got an updated BIOS yesterday that solved both for the bigger part. However the solve was found partly in hardware p states, pretty much disabling them. And while that increases gaming perf, it also increases power draw and heat ..

Now I need to be very careful with this statement here as I am using an ES sample, not retail. But under load with 10 cores prime the cpu runs to 85 Degrees C, on LCS. Fingers crossed and hoping this ES sample is the main cause of that though.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Then why preorder??? Just wait for reviews so you know the current state of the platform and then decide if it´s worth the risk or not.
    Personally i wouldn´t buy something described as very buggy, specially an expensive one like this, but that´s me.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The six and eight core are the only chips that make sense to me - from a gaming perspective. The Kabylake-X stuff literally makes zero sense. I can't think of a single situation where you'd want it. The 10+ core stuff is likely going to be too expensive for the preferred workloads. Usually if you are requiring 10 cores, you're doing some kind of rendering or super threaded workload and more cores are always going to be better than clockspeed. AMD is going to offer way more cores for the price. TR/Epyc are just going to win there IMO, baring any weird issues with the split core design.

I feel like for gaming, the sweet spots right now are 6/8 cores. Ryzen offers both, but for me going to a Ryzen processor would be a step down/sidegrade in most applications and games - with only a few making use of the extra cores positively. This is why leading up to the Ryzen launch I really was hoping 4.4/4.5 was doable with WC. I hate the idea of spending money for worse overall performance in the majority of stuff I do.

So while the Intel 8 core is definitely priced higher, I feel like the price is worth avoiding that - again this is my opinion. I think I do things differently than most people though, I budget a cost for a system and I buy the best stuff I can to maximize out that budget. I know 100% I'm spending $1500 on a processor/motherboard/NVMe drive for my next build. I think within that price Intel offers a better product for the stuff that I do. If my budget was only $1000, I think AMD would be the choice.

Mostly because I have zero patience and self control, lol. I also have a number of problems on my current motherboard including it randomly not posting, the onboard ethernet failed and I have a weird memory issue that leads to very strange behavior when all 4 DIMM slots are filled, thus I'm running at half memory at the moment.

So I'm basically itching to replace the thing. I actually bought a 1800x when it launched but the MSI board I bought off Amazon took like 2 weeks to be in stock let alone ship and by that time I realized the 1700x was the better choice. I ended up canceling it all and decided to wait to see what Intel offered. IIRC at the time x299 was scheduled for later in the year but rumors started going out that it was being moved up to July, which definitely influenced my decision to wait.

Doesn't sound ideal. Might have to wait for your review then. I'm not adverse to delidding but if the platform is going to have weird power/sleep/memory issues that take a few months to resolve, plus I have to delid it, plus it's more expensive, the scales start tipping in AMD's favor.

Need to see I guess. Thanks for being open about it though.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    85 is pretty...Toasty but seeing that this platform uses more power this higher temp shouldn't be that much of an issue? I at least know the ES is over 100w TDP, so one would assume using this much power it's also a bit more tolerant to heat?

18. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Don't beat around the bush. If you want to dance arou d what you want to say which is that you think he is biased....then state ot and I will take half an hour of my time to post 50 or so article links to you in a PM of a wide range of pc and tech websites criticising intel. Go to lonus tech tips youtube page foe a start and watch their video.

Intels recent 'roadmap' official release states that the next several tick and tock release are all 4 and 6 core releases....explain to me qhy intel is releasing 4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 core skylake x cpus when their next OFFICIAL release schedule still only lists up to 6 cores for the next few years after that.

Intel got caught with their pants down. They wanted to spoon feed the market 6 cores as a preme socket for the next 6 yeats and then 8 core for 6 yeard after that.

As someone who has only bought intel since maybe 2003....it is very easy to admit and point the finger at intel.

Thank god for AMD for changing the game. AMD will have a 64 core cpu out in a few short yeats and intel will finally be forced to push ahead rather than drag the chain in their default dominance, which they earned through anti competetive practices like their Dell blackmail.

EDIT: Just saw the back on topic message after posting. Please delete if inappropriate.

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Probably more to do with the crappy TIM between the die and the heatspreader, not solder as with Ryzen, it's IB and everything after all over again.