Preview: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (XT) and 6900 XT graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 28, 2020.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nvidia tax, premium leather jackets don´t come cheap you know...

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Maybe your card was simply defective. Sounds like it.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not sure if that's true. Nvidia still has value-add advantage and people are sucked into that. My cousin, whose a youngin, is shopping for a new GPU now and I told him to just get a 6800XT when it launches and he said no.. because he needs Nvidia Freestyle.. lol

Then you have other tech like DLSS, RTX Voice, Nvidia's encoder (although RDNA2 might bring improvements here), etc.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's exactly same thing. Decade in debt, and moment they are starting to do well, everyone expects them to move back to red numbers so they can have cheaper products.
    If we do not reward innovation, there is not going to be much of it.

sykozis, carnivore, Maddness and 3 others like this.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I doubt that. Even Gamers Nexus says they have a list of replicable bugs with RX5000 series and that was during latest video discussing RX6000.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I had a bunch of issues with a RX 5700XT, I would get black screens, driver crashes and so on very randomly. RMA'd it and they said it was defective and refunded me. Because I'd had it for a while and lived with the issues - I wasn't using it much - I could get the Red Devil 5700XT for just 15€ over the refund. (the guy I quoted also referred to something that was quite a lot older than a 5000 series)

Yes, there have been a bunch of issues with the cards and the drivers - undeniably - But I wonder how many of the things that people blame on bad drivers are caused by defective hardware. My only issue with this card now is the sometimes lack of detecting my primary monitor's resolution from a cold boot. Turning the monitor on and off fixes it, but a little annoying. Other than that, it just seems to work, with no issues like crashing, artifacts, poor performance or anything like that.

Maddness and 0blivious like this.
  7. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Don't know why everybody is mooning over RT right now? Implementation in games looks total crap! Water looks like glass, shadows sometimes too dark to even see on screen properly and you get -40% performance hit... yeey take my money- NOT!
    Unless the raytracing is at that point when the entire game like Crysis III can be pathtraced like Quake II (25 year old game at measly 35fps in 4K LOOOOL), then the RT is worth it.
    Right now if developers could use UnrealEngine 5 to full potential with screen spaced reflections and shadows etc with 8K texture packs- it would blow us away graphically. Just look at their tech demos in Youtube, have You seen a game that actually uses that graphic engine potential? No, neither have I.
    Right now all the games that use raytracing in some way, look like crap and not lifelike. At this point raytracing is like a pig with a lipstick put on...
    First games should start to look as best as they can.. then throw some nice to have raytracing on it!

Right now I could not care less of this so called raytracing on shadows and reflections. This can be done with rasterization to the level of same looking with better performance.

Some people here are saying the AMD cards are too expensive... I sure hope so that you were saying the same thing then when Nvidia Ampere cards pricing was announced otherwise you look stupid.
    Some saying that 6800 is too expensive with 579$ msrp... really ? :D
    In comparsion the 3070 looks even more expenisve!
    6800 is 8% faster on average than 3070 (2080Ti) offering +8GB more ram (8 GB vs 16GB). And this is the AMD "FE" model.

999 msrp for 3090 performance and saving +500 bucks!
    With that 500 bucks saved, you basically can get new Ryzen 9 5900X at some point or buy new console!

All those game and boost clocks were artificially very low (2250mhz), so AMD would look good on paper. Same as Nvidia did with their Ampere FE models.

Already AIB's have reported monstrous clock speeds on their AMD 6000 series. Avereage is between 2.4 -2,55Ghz. Ofcourse they will go over AMD's rated 250w and 300W TBP ratings, but they will be most likely 350-370W range and far from 3080 and 3090 400-450W ranges! lol

So in conclusion. AMD just gave a technical knockout to Nvidia, but the countdown from 1-10 is at 5 now, let's see if Nvidia can get themselves off their ass and respond with something better than current lineup. If not ... AMD wins by jury votes.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Maddness likes this.
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I look forward to benchmarks and the (presumably, eventually forthcoming) 6700XT.

Undying likes this.
  10. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    But why would they pay production costs unless they are buying as a producer lets not forget this is Retail I used to work in quarrying at one point, so folks would buy 20 tons of gravel crushed for 500 and split them into smaller units and price accordingly nobody pays production or indeed Factory ex stock prices because nobody would make any Money!
    Am sure if you asked to buy 100,000 units from AMD etc you would get a better rate but you would then need to distribute, market stock and service your customers, your talking one end of the chain to the oither and you expect it for free? pff

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I hope you was like that when Turing had its launch. Because those GPUs had fewer transistors on less dense process and had cheaper VRAM too.
    Prices nVidia sold Turing from start till end (even while AMD already was on 7nm) were objectively much worse than prices nVidia and AMD have now.

Maybe you can focus on cellphones for a while and persuade each manufacturer to actually reduce prices. I am sure those small chips are rather cheap to make, and screens are nothing special too...

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Same for me from a 3800x and 1080Ti.

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Most people don't give a rat's ass about RTRT (real time ray-tracing) in its current state today.
    Hardware today is too slow to do full-frame RT on modern quality games (Quake 2 RT doesn't count!), and will continue to be like that for at least 2-3 more generations.

By the time RTRT becomes common in every game released (like using pixel and geometry shaders is now), this Big Navi or Ampere will be long dead in the history bin...

What I want now is cheap enough 4K-capable raster rendering in modern game engines, or 1440p 144Hz for smooth "good enough" quality gaming.
    These cards deliver that (as well as Ampere, of course), and that's all I need or care about.

Unless nVidia miraculously releases in 1-2 months a 12 or 16 GB card that is cheaper and faster than RX 6800XT, switching to AMD this round.

pegasus1 likes this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean he's been arguing this entire thread that everything has been overpriced for 15 years, so yeah.

But with Turing, you're ignoring the fact that Nvidia potentially paid for FFN and the cost associated with investing in RT + everything else super early.

I don't think you don't need full frame RT for it to be useful.

Maddness and pegasus1 like this.
  15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I dont play any RTX titles, for the last 12 months its been Far Cry (from 2 to Primal), COH2 and DCS Flight Sim, all at 4k. a 6900 will do me just fine and a worthy successor to my 1080Ti

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Anything i cant afford is overpriced ha ha ha, thats how many people view these things, so dont buy, market forces. Its simples to me, buy what you can afford, or not afford ha ha

17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, I'm not going to trust AMDs numbers but I'm also not going to trust some random forum guys numbers either. Need to just wait for actual benchmarks from reputable sources where you know the platforms both were tested on are identical. Not going to know for sure until then.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Cant recall where I saw or read it but apparently the AMD test results for the 6800xt were not done with SAM enabled. The 6900xt results (vs the 3090) did have SAM enabled. So with Intel, AMD, SAM or not, the 6800xt still looks good.

Maddness and CPC_RedDawn like this.