Preserving aspect ratio!

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Uns33n, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    Hi all,

I am using tray tools version 1.2.6.964 on my x1950pro pci-e card with Samsung 19" 940BW wide screen LCD monitor.

As many of you might be knowing, playing any old 4:3 games on this configuration stretches to 16:10 on widescreen! I would like to play them in their original aspect with black side-bars.

Can anyone please let me know how to play in 4:3 on my monitor? Now, in ATT Display settings....Preserve Aspect ration etc options are greyed out! Only option available is "Scale Image to Panel Size" . Please help me out, i hate old 2D RPGs and all getting stretched on this panel.

My monitor does support aspect scaling however...coz recently i tried doing it in ePSXe (PSX emulator for PC). For Chrono Cross...i selected "Preserve PSx Aspect ratio" and it worked! THose emulator games run at proper 4:3 ...

Please let me know

2. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    * Bump *

3. Mobi82

Mobi82 New Member

GPU:
    X1900XT 512MB
    Same problem here with X1900XT and Philips 200WP7ES

4. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    Oh come on.....there is no way to preserve aspect ratio????

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Try finding this option in the ATI Control Center under Panel Properties > Attributes.

[​IMG]
    Shot

6. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    Hey scoutingwraith...i tried doing tht ... i installed ATI CCC and went into panel attributes property...but i get only 2 options ...

1) scale image full size

2) use centered timings

thts it :( ... i wonder y is it tht i m not gettin the "preserve ..." option...

7. -{TETSUO}-

-{TETSUO}- Active Member

GPU:
    1 meg evga
    I too would like to know how to use Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling under ATT. Surely there is an answer to this without resorting to CCC, after all it's the bloody reason we are using ATT.

8. strangelove

strangelove New Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI X1900xt 512mb
    Join the club.

If anybody ever figures this out please let us know.

This has been the lamest thing about ATI for me. Same deal with my x800xl and now my x1900xt.

I have contacted ATI and they were absolutely no help. In fact it has been a month after several emails back and forth. Seems they just gave up.

Really sucks cause I have a lot of old games that I would like to play but just can't stand having them stretch to 16:10 on my 21" widescreen.

Apparently Nvidia drivers can do this no prob. Next time I buy a video card I am going with Nvidia for this very reason.

ARGGH I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue. Look around google. There are many ati users who have this problem.

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    The thing is that the option i get is that these settings are for my laptop. You guys should try ATI Tool which has these options for the image.

10. strangelove

strangelove New Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI X1900xt 512mb
    ok I tried ATI Tool and I don't see any such thing. Mind telling me where it is?

Interesting thing. I did hear that ATI users with a laptop don't have this problem because as shown earlier in your screenshot it's there (the ati mobility drivers have the option where as the non mobility ones don't). So if mobility users have it why can't I?

[​IMG]

Unfortunate that 'use centered timings' doesn't work for 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024. >< It still stretches them. It will center other resolutions that I don't care about though. Lucky me...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007

11. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    I'm just going to use this tread to reiterate my hate for widescreen monitors :D

I don't have an ATI card so I don't know what's wrong. Still, this seems driver related. Try cleaning the drivers from your system and reinstall them. Uninstall, hunt down any reference to ATI in your registry and then reinstall.

12. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    o come on AMD/ATI.....do something!!!

13. strangelove

strangelove New Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI X1900xt 512mb
    From ATI (basically, they know and are looking into it).

It was nice to hear from them again. Now let's hope they come up with a fix soon.

Edit lol I couldn't help but notice when that article was created (the day of the last response I got from them on the issue). They even use the same info I provided, "ATI Catalyst does not scale/center standard 4:3 resolutions (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024). It simply stretches them to fill the entire screen. It does seem to work for other resolutions (1440x900, 1400x1050, 1360x1024, 1360x768)." Lol, word for word. I hope I am not the one that had to let them know. There must have been a bunch of tickets about that issue in the last 5 or so years.

Spread the word. ATI seems to actually be looking into it now. Do you suppose it will be an easy fix? I can't imagine it being too hard for them to fix.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  14. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    hmmm...it should not be hard to fix....ATI certainly has to do something and fix it though! However, i am kinda getting used to playing old games-being stretched on my monitor ...lol

15. strangelove

strangelove New Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI X1900xt 512mb
    Lol, I've been playing Thief 1 and 2 stretched. Can't say I got used to it. Little easier to put up with in such a dark game though. I've been wanting to play some old Diablo 2. Highest it goes is 800x600 I believe. :behead: Oh well, at least Titan Quest is satisfying my endless lust for hack and slash (at 1680x1050 :)).

16. Mobi82

Mobi82 New Member

GPU:
    X1900XT 512MB
    Apart from old games, I'd like to play the new Sam&Max episodes. They don't support widescreen monitor. I played the first 3 episodes on my old CRT monitor, then I bought my widescreen LCD and everything is stretched.

17. strangelove

strangelove New Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI X1900xt 512mb
    I was thinking of using the video out avivo thingy on my x1900xt to put a low res signal out to my old tv. Since that's low res it might not look bad. If that sucks then I got my hands on an old trinitron monitor that I might use. Not sure where I would put it though.

18. tlen

tlen Member

On this argument i wanted to open a thread, but i see it's already opened :) so here we go.
    I agree and can confirm that with CCC the scaler thing works up until a certain resolution, and this is one point.
    The other important point, is that on my X1950 the scaler with Ati Tray Tools, doesn't work at all! Even on the resolutions that works on CCC!
    In other words, if i install the CCC the scaler works (althoug up certain point), but if i don't install the CCC and try to do the same thing with ATT, the parameters are greyed out, and all the scaling thing doesn't work.
    It's already been signalled this bug?
    Has been already corrected?
    Someone can help me? :)
    Thanks

19. The Chief

The Chief New Member

No, ATI is not looking into it. "Centered timing" still not working (Catalyst 7.7, WinXP).

I can probably say why it's not working. Because your LCD monitor (as wella s mine Samsung 226BW) reports via DDC (EDID info) it can deal with 4:3 modes. 4 example, 226BW reports 1024x768, 1280x960 & 1280x1024 modes. So, if you try to set 1280x960 mode, Catalyst swithes "CT" function completely off - switches output to pure 1280x960 (scaled to fullscreen by panel itself), not to "1680x1050 with black bars sidescreens".

If there is no desired mode in panel EDID (1366x1024, for example) - "CT" function works pretty good, does exactly what expected.

Sorry, my English is poor, so I can't write a report to ATI techsupport. Someone, please do this! It's a very annoying bug, yet can be fixed rather simply by ATI engineers (in fact, driver programmers).

20. Pluton

Pluton New Member

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my ATI mobility:
    The Catalyst control ceter had this option, to allow me to start applications in a centered screen, but I recently have trouble with the microsoft .net framework and the Catalyst Control Center doesn't work anymore.

So I've download ATI Tray Tools, and this option is missing. I love to play old games such Thief, diablo II, AvP2 etc, so i would know if it is possible to have this option in ATT.

It seems to me that if CCC can do it, why ATT could not ?