Prerender Limit?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by !nfern0, Nov 26, 2007.

1. !nfern0

!nfern0 Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce 7600GS(@560/1620)
    hi all..what's this setting in Rivatuner?what is its job? its value is between 0 and 255..what if i raise or lower it?is it a effectual affect in games?

2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    its for vsync. What it does is render the frames faster than how they display on screen.
    For example if you've got vsync on and a monitor refresh of 60hz it would render 3 more frames (63) for smoother transitions.
    The more you put it the bigger the performance drop so in the end its personal preference.
    Everyone will recommend 3 though because you wont really see much of a difference past that.

3. !nfern0

!nfern0 Member

GPU:
    what about zeroing it?

4. dboniuk

dboniuk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4096MB
    Setting it too high may introduce mouse lag. I used to use 3, but with faster cards I ended up droping it to 2.

BTW, it had no tie-in with vsynch. It will try to prerender even with vsynch off, which is how you end up with mouse lag if you set it too high.

People often confuse this setting with triple buffering, which IS tied to vsynch, and which allow for smoother transitions by having more frames ready for display as each frame is drawn.

DJB

P.S. To answer your zeroing out question; that will stop prerendering. It is probably not required unless you get serious mouse lag with it set to anything higher than 0.

D

5. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Here's your answer: triple buffering
    Originally, this was 2D only. The option you're asking about does the same thing, for 3D.

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    this isn't true.

uhh... it is vsync. I don't see where you got that logic from.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/874/38875382xg6.jpg

doesn't even work for me. I set it to 50 did nothing with vsync on or off.

7. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    dboniuk is right

it doesnt have to do with vsync

the lower you set it (ex 0) the more responive input you get...so you get less mouse lag but also lower FPS. a good normal setting between mouse lag and FPS is around 3..some games need lower for no mouse lag though such as Oblivion performs smoothest with this set to 0. once again you don't need vsync on for this. it doesnt matter.

8. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    heres what the tweakguides guide to Riva Tuner says about the prerender limit

so its nothing to do with v sync

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I always found 0 to be best with my 6800gt/7800gtx/7900gt, but 3 seems fine with the 8-series. In fact I don't think 0 even works with the 8-series, last time I tried it it was unable to run 3d apps.

10. !nfern0

!nfern0 Member

GPU:
    thanx anyway..but it lays under the VSYNC topic in the Rivatuner..i'm just playing with it to solve @ the NFS ProStreet's Stuttering problem..i do this,cuz i believe this game's lag problem is caused by a VSYNC problem,cuz when i close it,game stutters much more,when i open it,it stutters less but not stops,anyway..

11. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I thought the prerender limit cannot be set lower than 1 on NV cards for OpenGL programmes? Since 1 is the minimum for Nv cards.