Prepping interview with ATI - Got Questions ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    wat was the point of the 4890, itz price/performance doesn't measure up to 4850/4870 and doesn't improve significantly on 4870, y weren't shaders added?

2. I do not believe ATI can run Physics since NVidia bought out the company.Unless they make a deal with NVidia to use Physics.

Do they plan on making a deal with NVidia to use physics is my question?

3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    hmmm

if u can ask them when will havoc implementation come in the drivers and will ir be for 4000 series or 5000?

thank u

4. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Sneakers you do know that ATI does have profiles yes? You can even create a desktop shortcut which when clicked will load your driver settings then the game.....

Nvidias implementation is far from perfect as the drivers do not automatically find every installed game and you end up trawling through hundreds of game to get to the game you want to set up......

Both have their problems, just different.

Hilbert, there have been lots of arguments on these boards regarding what is acceptable practice when updating from one catalyst version to the next.

There are people doing the uninstall, driversweep, install three reboot thing just to update, and possibly finding install errors, and people such as myself who does not uninstall first and just runs the installer and lets the install manager do its stuff. What is Ati's official stance as the instructions on AMD's site are vague and only mention having to uninstall Legacy drivers first, which I read as drivers for hardware that is no longer supported.

Any clarification would be great from the horses mouth themselves, and would stop a lot of squabbling.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Is the HD5870x2 going to use pool memory ?

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yes you can do that. But now the issue is this:

To get digital vibrance on ATI you have to have CCC installed.
    To OC past 800/1000 you have to have ATT installed, and same thing if you want to raise voltages.
    To get in detail temperatures, gpu scaling monitoring, voltage and ampare monitoring you have to use rivatuner.
    To get Vsynch to work on ATI in most games you need to run D3Doverrider.

This is just too many things you need to tweak to get an enjoyable experience, and add to that having to manually re do numerous of profiles, in a way that is more hassle then Nvidias way of doing it, also I do not like the idea of having to launch games through ATT ( CCC is way inferior to ATT when it comes to making gameprofiles with alot of options like Nhancer - I never liked Nhancer either for this matter ).

Basically I want it like Nvidia as it since I believe having more things into the Orignal Driver interferance is better then what we have now, and I would like a comment from the makers on this issue.

Both companys offers simular performance on average when looking at more then Crysis and WAW, so what is important in the end is the price vs performance and how well drivers, interference work. Atleast in my opinion.

7. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Wrong, ATT has this functionality as well. Editing the ini will unlock the Displays menu and from there you can alter hue/saturation.
    ATT has an option to force Vsync in games. There is also a Vista-specific workaround for those who have trouble which can't be solved by setting Vsync to "Always On".
    You don't have to launch games through ATT... You just link the profile to the executable and the profile will launch automatically whenever the executable is launched.

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

1) I got a PM in my inbox from Ray Adams telling me ATT cannot do digital vibrance on the x64 version anymore.

2) That ATT workaround havn't worked in the games I had problem forcing Vsynch in, have to use D3Doverrider, never had to use that program before going ATi, not trashing just stating my issue - wich I wanted some feedback from the guys in charge.

3) Seems complicated, and I don't want complicated overtechnical solutions that I have to redo every time I change drivers, might work but it is not a good solution compared to what Nvidia offers wich is really good, set general settings then in the few games you know require some tweaks you probe into respective games already existning profile, and if it isn't there import it/add it.

Lets not get into an argument over this, I have tried all what you others have suggested, and I find them at best to be half bad solutions. I would like it to be smoother and more direct, wouldnt you?

9. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Not really, since everything for me works just the way I want it to. But okay, if Ray has said that DV doesn't work properly on x64 then so be it. And I didn't mean to come across as trying to create an argument; just attempting to address your issues, since it seemed like you hadn't tried everything.

10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I can't think of any game I play where I can't get V Sync to work....... Gears of War maybe, but I ain't played that in a long time.....

11. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Just let it be mate, I'm not making things up just to have something to type.

Dark Age of Camelot is one of the games where I never got the build in CCC Vsynch to work, ever - and it was no problems what so ever when I use my 8800 GTXs on other comp.

Can we leave it now and get on topic?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    nVidia doesn't own Physics, they own PhysX. Havok and PhysX are Physics API's. Havok being the "original" and currently owned by Intel. AMD/ATI and Intel have a license agreement that allows ATI to implement GPU accelerated Havok. Havok is also supported on a LOT more games than PhysX.

13. Crickee

Crickee Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI
    1) Can you guys do better job on the drivers

2) When do we take-over NviDia? XD(JK)

14. NxCPU

NxCPU Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 1GB GDDR4
    I'm still using 2 HP p1230 CRTs.
    Could we get comprehensive controls/adjustments for the analogue signal coming out of the 2 DVI-I ports ?
    Hardware or software, either will do.
    Especially to make the picture less fuzzy, and cleaning up artifacts.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ya, I agree with everyone else. When are they going to ever support game profiles?

Also, are they going to ever introduce the GPU transcoding to Vista x64. I feel left out since I do a lot of video transcoding but it still takes a long time on my quadcore going 95% on all cores transcoding my recorded TV shows.

Lastly, when should we expect the R800-based GPUs (probably called the Radeon HD 5xxx series)?

deltatux

16. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Almost forgot, will there be an ATi codec for windows media player to accelerate HD content by GPU?

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    As long as your media player supports DXVA, it will be accelerated by your GPU. Your GPU usage chart doesn't show usage during video decoding since it's handled by the UVD which is a dedicated processor on ATi cards.

deltatux

18. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    I have 2 questions I would like to have asked. We know that there is new hardware coming out from ati/amd soon and that they are also developing for Windows 7. Does ATI/AMD have plans to continue aggressively developing the current X2 cards (4870 X2, and 4850 X2) in order for users to get the full potential from these cards? The 4870 X2 in particular is a powerhouse card but has been falling short in some of the games as far as performance. There are a lot of us that spent $500 for a vga card that we want to be able to continue using a year later. It seems like vga cards have become an expensive yet disposable commodity. The second question is this. With nVidia releasing drivers that allow their vga cards to be used as physx cards and the fact that some of the newer games are utilizing this, what does ATI/AMD plan in order to counter/compete with this implementation.

19. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Yes, ask them if they're going to improve the support and scaling of the R700s (HD4870X2/4850X2), open up the SidePort, etc.

I don't want to get only 130% the performance of a HD4870 for the 200% price I paid for my X2.

20. SSChevy2001

SSChevy2001 Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB ( 810/3900 )
    Why are idle memory clocks so high on the 4870?

What will future revisions of CCC offer?
    User created game profiles
    Custom resolutions

When can we expect to see a GPU accelerated physic title?

When can we expect to see a more final version of Avivo Video Converter?

What is ATi doing to get more involved with game developers? ( GITG )