Preorder prices GeForce RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2018.

1. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Please don't pre-order.

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    The difference is that the vast majority of people do not need the features they come with or are even able to make use of them. Almost everyone who can play games can benefit from a better graphics card, however.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Its https://geizhals.eu/, a tech price comparison page primarily for germany and some (small) other parts of europe.

4. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Lol at the pricing range in the UK from £1050 to £1400 only difference being the coolers WTF hahaha.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    And 4K as well, I'm sure. Yeah like thats going to happen. Consoles have mediocre hardware at best, and that won't change. Noone is going to pay a thousand bucks for a console with high-end hardware to run up such performance numbers.
    Not to mention that console gaming and PC gaming are fundamentally different. Controllers just cannot be compared to a keyboard and a mouse. So many genres that you just can't do on a console properly. Well, the majority of them even. FPS on consoles suck so badly, they keep trying however, but that doesn't make it good. Nevermind mouse-centric games like strategy.

But here is a neat trick if you don't want to pay >1000$ for a graphics card: Don't! Buy a 1080Ti instead, or a 2080 (non-Ti). Just because someone is offering you a new high-end model at high-end prices doesn't mean you have to buy them.

Just get over the names and assume that a 2080 is meant to replace a 1080Ti, and the 2080Ti is a new part of the lineup, a true high-end. Don't see it as a price increase, but a shift in the lineup. It'll make you far happier that way.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They're from Austria, that little country next to Germany with all kinds of weird people in it :D
    They offer a general overview for the German market, but also EU wide to some extent (OC UK, some Polish stores etc.)

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Would actually made more sense to pay $1000 for console than $1000 just for GPU.
    Buying new $1000 console practically guarantees you certain level of performance for next 6~7 years, whatever that performance allows form graphical standpoint (which actually improves over time.).
    While buying $1000 GPU will turn it into $500 GPU in year or two and it will be quite weak in 4 years. After 6 years, you are already suffering badly or having very low details which make game look worse than games did at time GPU was new.
    Don't call them weird... Austrians are mixture of German, Czech, Serbian, Hungarian, ...

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If anything I got the right to call them weird :D
    But yeah a mix of pretty much everything around

As for geizhals.eu itself, I always check and usually put my stuff together there. Really detailed also.

9. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    For me at the moment, I don't need the upgrade.
    I can play all my games at max settings with my 1080 Ti @ 1440p res and still get well in excess of 60fps. If I was on a 4k monitor I would want to upgrade but for now, I don't.
    Having said that... when I get a few new games that I can no longer run smoothly ( 60fps+ min ) then I'll be looking to upgrade. I just hope when that time comes the prices drop down a bit..

10. Rayden23

Rayden23 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080ti sli
    The prices are crazy in Sweden...the least expensive one costs around 14000kr. I will probably by one 2080ti,at least, but damn that's a price hard to swallow .... they'd better deliver for this price....won't buy anything before your review of course

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Your 1080Ti is struggling @ 1440p?

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There are games maxed out that bring a 1080Ti to below 60fps @ 1440p, like Total War: Warhammer 2's campaign map. But that's pretty much dependant on what settings you use, as usual.

13. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    Yeah, seems a bit much. ASUS in particular is extremely expensive compared to the cheaper versions. The price premium for good coolers on the 2080 Ti in particular seems to be a lot higher than for the 1080 Ti. Double or triple the value seems like the average. ASUS is asking 3000 NOK (just over 300 Euros) more for one of their models compared to the cheapest I can find.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    £1400 for a AIB card that has it's own branded cooler but no OC or anything.

I could build a whole new PC for that type of money and it'd be High-End. £700 for the parts and £700 for a good gfx card.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I had a choice between a new 2080 or breast implants for my GF...

GF looks really good Bro!

y'all want to see pictures? ....:D

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I like what you like!

airbud7 likes this.
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the 9800gt came out it july 2008 and I bought the card in September of 2008 for 139$ and I have receipt still there is no way in 2 month it drop over 200$, and there 70$ i got in discounts was from the cpu and motherboard being bundled, which wouldnt even make the prices diffrence but I got it from 139$ from new egg and back then there was no "market" sellers and we talking an evga card

prices then and now are night a day, and they keep going up each gen and each gen it seem to be more extreme the prices

even if more in line with 970/1070 there price difference between now and then is still over 100$ series wise

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Natural breasts are far better imo... but nice joke :p

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    To deliver over 90 fps, yes. To hold 60, no. Modern games don't really hold anywhere near 144 fps if you turn up a few graphics settings... or at least the ones I like. I tend to leave xxAO varieties off because that's such a resource hog, and turn down shadows when it's one of those cases where actually does use GPU power. The one thing I won't ever turn down is texture resolution; if it's anything that stabs me in the eyes it's low res textures.

But wait, it gets dumber. FF15 for example is often CPU bottlenecked, so I might as well crank up the the graphics, but then it's often GPU bottlenecked depending on the location. I get frame drops into the 60s, turn the camera the other way and I'm suddenly sitting at 120 fps. I hate Square Enix. I wouldn't be surprised if there's random crap being rendered out of view like under the ground, like the demo (which was pretty much a cut of the final product) did. I'm still using my ancient i7-4770K at 4.2GHz core/cache.

I'm actually CPU bottlenecked in even more games these days if I don't leave Hyper Threading on. Sad. Bigly. I never gave it much thought until I ran into the issue since I was on 60Hz monitors for an eternity. I didn't think modern games would be this stupid with draw calls, or whatever the hell is clogging the CPU.

Meanwhile the optimized console versions of many of those games are getting 60 fps at 1080p on a 1.6GHz miniature potato that was meant for shitty tablets. I'm going to go ahead and say the PC versions have no optimization.

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    But...but these are 3D RGB new model I tell ya!...:p

She's a Beauty!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Prince Valiant likes this.