Preliminary Specs Samsung Galaxy S IV online

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Reminds me of Nvidia's Shield going 4k. I think the resolutions are just marketing. Average Joe knows that 1080p is "good" but really doesn't understand why. He just knows that as far as screens it's something you need. It's "HD".

That's the only reason why I can see them pushing it out to the phones. That, and probably because it's easier these days with all the hardware already supporting it. I suppose another reason might be that you wouldn't have to convert video files, like movies, to odd smaller resolutions.

2. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Sony Xperia Z looks impressive, will this beat it

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Still don't see it. They choose 1080p because it's the native resolution of most content. Anytime you're scaling anything it's going to look bad. And how much does it actually effect performance and battery? The Droid DNA already has a 5 inch screen and 1080p on a 2020mAh battery, it hits 4 1/2 hours screen on. That's twice as much as my Galaxy Nexus (VZW). A GS4 with the 3000mAh battery they just launched would hit like 5+ hours screen on.

Again I think this is fine.

Nvidia's shield outputs 4K to TVs not on it's attached screen. 1080p @ 65" has a pretty low DPI. 4K @ 65" looks significantly better.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    about the plastic back cover. most of the people I know buy cases for their phones anyway so it's not an issue. plus as mentioned above, they're more durable and lighter. can't wait for this phone. also 1080p haters. look at it this way, 1080p it's probably as high as phones will go for s few good years. so no scaling issues every year with new resolutions. it's also the standard hd resolution so why not as long as the phone can handle it, I have no issues with that. I bet that screen will look amazing and it'll take Apple a couple off generations to catch up.

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Still beats glass body.

deltatux

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    That still blows me away to this day. The screen is covered with gorilla glass yet they covered both the back and front with regular glass? Wtf? You have no idea how many shattered iPhone 4s I've seen. There is no way the glass they sandwiched them in was gorilla glass, I've seen them shatter so easily by the tiniest of falls.

I kinda like the look, but I'll take function over form any day.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not too happy that the Nexus 4 is made of glass, but I have a case ordered, hopefully before my phone arrives.

deltatux

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Yes it was a poor decision but they're going with the trend, people like the glass covered Apple phones. Just don't drop it, ever. I'm more displeased with how they did a MacGyver job with the internals of it, it's a mess in there.

9. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's not that bad, I looked at it, it's just not modder friendly. If you don't touch its insides, you're fine.

I have a thick case so I should be good (I'm not those people who hate bulky phones because I don't wear skinny jeans, I ain't a girl lol). I rarely drop my device.

deltatux

10. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Give me 1080p at true full 60 fps, 30fps selections or GTFO :banana: !

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Well, since JB Android runs at 60fps vsync'd so long as the hardware can muster up the chutzpah. I imagine the only scenario in which most users can't is in 3D gaming, it those cases I don't know if it's set to lock at 30 or if it fluctuates.