Preliminary Specs Samsung Galaxy S IV online

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A couple of photo's and specification details have surfaced on the web with the topic, Samsung Galaxy S IV, yes Sir. The parts and specs explained are preliminary. A photo surfaced showing more info...

Preliminary Specs Samsung Galaxy S IV online

2. This looks awesome Hilbert!

i'm loving the big.LITTLE route they've taken, i love the fact it's pushing 1920x1080 but what sucks is WHY HASNT SAMSUNG TAKEN MY MONEY YET! TAKE IT AND USE IT TO DESTROY APPLES NOW! ;)

and potatoes, don't get me started with potatoes.

3. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    All the way to open source .

4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Pushing the power captain we need more power.

5. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    *wet slapping noise*
    Oooooh bhoyyyyyyy

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    So it looks like I won't be getting Note2.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    1080p on 5"? Overkiiiiiillll. I'm fine with 720p on screens up to 7" considering what standards are these days. A few years from now maybe 1080p would make more sense on a 5" screen, but not at the moment.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why not? I rather them just hit the maximum for the human eye now then dragging it out for years. Maybe they'll actually start focusing on other things now, like not over-saturating everything to **** and back.

9. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Why not if its available, why wait a few years. ?

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    pfff.and plastic body?

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Mostly because I'm afraid they'll do a ****ty job as it stands. I'm afraid the processing power they pack in won't be remotely close to enough to support squat at that resolution. Games at 720p look and run like crap on phones right now for that reason. As far as videos go, most the content available is unfortunately still 720p, that's not going to change anytime soon regardless of what resolution phones are. Also, mobile websites are going to have to update to be prepared for 1080p handhelds, otherwise nothing will look right by default.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Right? I don't understand the craze for insane resolutions. Yeah images designed for that resolution will look really nice, and yeah that's a pretty good DPI, but it's pointless if graphics have to be upscaled to fit as opposed to designed for that size to begin with.

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Yeah.
    Nokia 3310 wants to have a go at any iPhones. 2 out of 3.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Amazing how Samsung have cheap plastic cases whilst HTC have decent cases yet Samsung sell more...oh wait money in marketing and 90% noobs.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    plastic body is just fine :eek: np

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Content scaling is definitely a problem at the moment but it won't get resolved unless the hardware is there. No one is going to develop high resolution icons if there is nothing for it to work on. It's actually something that Apple has a huge leg up on as they've been preparing for this switch for sometime.

The reason I like this new craze of resolutions is because beforehand displays especially in mobile parts where something that most OEMs looked for in price savings. Look at any laptop sold from 2006-2012 and the displays are a joke, some of them don't even support 720p all the way to 15 inches. It's laughable at best. Now that Apple went "OH HERE BAM" and has the marketing behind it to let people know it's worth buying, other companies are forced to compete and make higher quality displays.

Now as far as DPI goes, were pretty much at the point of diminishing returns and the display manufacturers will have to focus elsewhere - at least I hope they will. Although they probably won't, seeing as only Apple seems to care about display calibration/contrast/etc in consumer level products.

As far as performance goes at these resolutions, it's not even really a problem. The processor in the Nexus 10 (Mali-T604) can outperform pretty much every tablet out at a significantly higher resolution. Apple found ways to increase performance even over that.

So yeah, I'd rather them hit limits now and force content to adjust quickly then take their time over a few years slowly building higher res devices.

I'd rather have plastic. My sisters aluminum iPad has a huge dent in it after a single fall. My Nexus 7 has nothing. In fact my Galaxy Nexus which I've had since launch and has taken a few falls only has a couple scuffs. Plus plastic is lighter and doesn't need to be designed around.

Oh and yeah I'm pretty confident that the majority of people don't buy a phone because of it's body.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  17. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Waiting for the Note 3

My Note 2 is far and away the best mobile i've ever had, better than the S3

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Actually that "cheap plastic" is often much lighter and more durable at the same time compared to the "expensive metal & glass" finish. So from the practical perspective it looks superior.

Now that you called 90% of Samsung products users noobs, go and gold plate your phone so it looks more expensive and stick it where sun doesn't reach.

I wanted to get Note 2 so bad, but after seeing these demos... well... Note 2? or wait for S4? or for Note 3?

19. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    i came from s2 and now i have the s3, is a great smartphone, but the pastic cheap case is what i hate the most for the price..

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    is not that im against the future but really? 1080p on a 5" screen? Thats a waste seriously, not even all laptops have that kind of resolution, over 300dpi the diferrence is unnoticeable thus useless, what you gain i bet is a huge fps drop in everything, not to mention the full stress on the phone's hardware sucking all the battery in a couple of hours

maybe im not at all correct, but what im sure is this is not a pro but a serious list of problems, which arent enough reason to compensate for a ridiculous display resolution like this