preference, XP2500 Barton or XP2400?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by p0gig, Apr 23, 2003.

1. p0gig

p0gig Guest

i don't kno much about hardware specifics..but im planning to make this purchase (along with A7N8X mobo) sometime tonight, so replies would help

www.newegg.com is selling both for relatively cheap, with the barton being around 20 bucks more

i have no idea how to overclock (but i heard it's relatively easy, especially with this setup so i think i might mess around with it and try to find out how), but without price in mind, performance wize which processor is better?

i mainly use my computer for games such as Counterstrike and Warcraft

comp specs im planning to put together:

a7n8x delux
    evga gf4 ti4200 128mb
    corsair or samsung pc2700 512mb (2x256)

^ wut do u guys recommend? corsair or samsung?

THX FOR ANY HELP

ps - in this review i believe the barton scored higher
    Link

2. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Well if you don't want to spend the money on the Barton don't bother. Like mentioned before it makes minimal difference, you won't notice it.

3. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    I would go for the Barton becuz its the newer chip but like JW says, it really doesnt matter.

4. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

I'd get the Barton.

5. Y2A

Y2A Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800 OC (16, 6 400/850)
    For 20 bucks more, why are you stressing get the barton....Unless the 2400+ is Tbred B w/ a good stepping. Then I would get that because overclocking that thing will kill a barton, especially with your NForce2 board.

6. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'd go with the Barton. It has a larger core (due to the doubled L2 cache), which makes cooling it easier. Performance is about the same. If you intend to overclock though, the 2400+ is a much better overclocker.

7. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    ROFL :funny:

8. p0gig

p0gig Guest

thanks for the replies...but i was pretty clueless about overclocking but i heard it's relatively simple and im planning to overclock just slightly (nothing hardcore)...is the barton still a better choice?

9. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    Here's the reason

That was teh worst day of my life....AND I STILL WANT THEM TO DIE!!!

I would still go Barton...but the Thourghbred will have more room via overclocking

10. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    I've ran both in an epox 8rda nforce board. The barton is faster and has 333fsb from the get go. Much easier to reach higher fsb. I was disappointed in the 2400's ability to be oc'd. More than likely it was my bad luck. The barton runs like a champ.