Predefined game profiles?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Mar 2, 2018.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Hey, guys and gals. Crimson/ Catalyst drivers have predefined game profiles, right. Like for instance, WarThunder profile was pre-made by AMD which associated with "aces.exe" file, right. Or Deus Ex Mankind Divided associated with "DXMD.exe", etc. Those pre-made default profiles stored somewhere. Where? Which file? I can't recall...and last time i change or edit it manually it it was more then 5 years ago...

2. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    First thing first. I doubt there would be nice and exiting things to be discovered by modifying predefined defaults. Having said that, the file you'd want is called gmcfm.blb and is located in %localappdata%\AMD\CN.

What you'd perhaps want to do... is edit gmdb.blb (same location). This is your specific games profile file. The .blb files are just propriety extension .xml files. You can edit them with things like even Notepad if you don't have dedicated xml editor - formatting would be much easier to read though.

3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    It's for forcing anti-aliasing in some games. Instead of renaming game executable one can modify predefined profile. It's good for few multiplayer games which are launched only via some sort of the launcher and can't be launched directly. Or for games on which you can force anti-aliasing trough global profile only...

For instance, i can force "adaptive multi-sampling" or "super-sampling" in WarThunder only trough global profile. Or renaming game executable to a custom name and creating custom profile with forced AA and running it directly from that custom executable and not trough game launcher. By removing particular string from that game default profile responsible for AA behavior i can force it trough created custom profile for that game with default executable name. So, no need to open CC again if i want to start other game in which i don't want "adaptive multi-sampling" or "super-sampling" to be implemented...

It's just some sort of the laziness...i prefer edit/change hidden settings instead starting CC (or Nvidia's CC) every time to change something in particular game profile :)

Thanks. Tho don't see gmcfm.blb in that folder or on entire system drive...

EDIT:

I remember it was an encrypted xml file somewhere in sys folders. But it was in early Catalyst drivers. They surely change many things later on and with Crimson release...and now it's an Adrenaline :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    MaCk0y likes this.
  4. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Hmm… lemme ask few things.

What is the path to your %loacalappdata%?
    (In CLI - command line interface, AKA cmd, type SET L, hit enter. Omit username if you must.)
    Is there \AMD\CN folder at all in this path? Could you, in CLI, do:

cd /d %localappdata%\amd\cn

followed by

dir

What is your OS; what’s your video card; what is the drivers version? Did you install Radeon Settings? Did you modify AMD service and tasks?

Are you sure customizing game profile (not defaults, but actual game profile) and then launching game directly (double clicking executable) would not apply your AA choice? How can I test this?
    For instance, here’s my customized RoN profile with Chill on:
    [​IMG]

When I start this game directly by double clicking riseofnations.exe ,I know Chill is on – there’s this tune Chill plays.

5. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    All path's are default. All drive names are default. All AMD drivers installations are default. If they weren't i would tell about it right away ;) Adrenalin 18.2.3 version. Gpu is 7870. Windows 10 ENT. LTSB 1607

I made an example with WarThunder. It's 100% accurate and detailed. "adaptive multi-sampling" or "super-sampling" can be forced only via global profile. Not in game profile...custom, created by me or otherwise. And as i wrote: it's working only in few games. dx9 or dx11 but with hw aa support. WarThunder is dx11 app which have multi-sampling AA support which can be enhanced with either adaptive or super-sampling...

But this is doesn't matter. As Chill for that matter :) I need to know where AMD drivers stored predefined game profiles. Cause i don't remember and the location or file name or even the method most probably was changed over the years. Registry, xml? They all stored in one place. One file with list of thousands existing games and applications. In last 18.2.3 version they added new game executables to that list: Sea of Thieves, Brass Tactics and Final Fantasy® XII The Zodiac Age. I checked all non encrypted .blb files. No luck so far. It can't be a long time before i find it...that's why i asked...

6. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Okay... though I still have my doubts, especially about testing this, I don't have WarThunder for example.

Anyhow, the file you want is called atiapfxx.blb and it's in System32 and SysWOW64 for x64 OS (not 100% which one is used, too lazy to track it down, leaning towards one SysWOW64). It's indeed a binary file (but it's not encrypted). To convert it you might want to get atiapfxx.exe - this util doesn't exist in latest drivers; old drivers package has it. I used one from Catalyst 15.7.1 I had on my Network.
    The command line to convert binary to xml is as following (I "played" with copy a of atiapfxx.blb):
    atiapfxx.exe -r -sys -s atiapfxx.blb

You'd know conversion worked when the size of the file jumps from ~800Kb to ~2.8Mb.

Once you modify defaults, convert it back to binary and replace the one sitting your sys.

zzeleznez and fr33jack like this.
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The issue is that per game profiles actually working and being applied is a 50:50 chance. And the only way to ensure that the particular settings are applied is to set them in Global profile.
    Of course that does not mean the particular AA settings will work, but that is a separate issue and a well known limitation.

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Shellar, It doesn't look like this file storing any specific settings to handle games specific settings and such. It should look more like Nvidia's. But again, they change a lot...i don't recognize structures. Oh well...i guess in the end efforts will be wasted for nothing. I withdraw my question :) Thanks a lot for your help tho.

9. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Well... it's a late response and I know I'm probably directing below towards horizon since you gave up, but...

if you open this file with something that can handle xml properly (using Visual Studio here... and no, this shouldn't look like NVidia's), you'd see that they define declarations (property / area) at the start and then use them per game. If the 'area' isn't used, then it's at defaults. Have not played with this but it feels one could add area to specific game. Few tries might be needed where the property isn't binary - true / false and alike.

@Noisiv - could I get an example of the game where global setting works and profile doesn't? Hopefully some game that I have and could test.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Shellar

From the top of my head Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. Steam version.
    This one I REALLY REALLY tried hard to make the profile work. Tried with default Stalker profile, tried with profile imported from Steam shortcut, tried with game .exe.... NOPE.

At first I though it's just the Wattman settings not being applied as set in specific game profiles. With Stalker I noticed, that the game profile is ignored in its entirety (Chill and FRTC)

Here is another funny thing that I've noticed with several games. Game profile not working (Wattman part, voltage to be exact), then I quit the game, I start the game again, and this time Wattman voltage settings are miraculously applied (???)
    After wasting all this time, nowadays I just set the desired flags in Global profile.

That's NOT how I want to run my rig, but what can I do...

11. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    SOC (and the rest of Stalkers) is heavily modded (with who knows what now - looks like Oblivion and at least one other mod fused somehow), and I've not touched them for a very long time. Had some "fun" trying to make it work - oh, settings in Public Documents!; it doesn't like my ultrawide display (had to use secondary) - crap like that.
    Anyways, Chill works (plays tune at startup), but not sure about the rest. I obviously can't use FRTC and Chill at the same time as they are mutually exclusive.

Don't really want to invest time in Wattman, but have you tried making your gmrevert.blb read only?

BTW, the other two Stalkers exist in global game profiles (cn.blb and atiapfxx.blb), but not SOC.

edit: (don't Stalker scripts go haywire with fps > 60?)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    They don't go haywire. Stalker is Xray Engine, A-Life and stuff... Not Fallout or was it Skyrim; with physics going bonkers at >60fps

Whaddya know; FRTC now correctly reads the value set in my SoC profile; Wattman still no-go in game profile.

Anyway thanks for your help, but I don't feel comfortable fiddling with system files.

13. zzeleznez

zzeleznez Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Thanks for the tip. Successfully extracted blb to xml (size 1.45mb) and edit it but when i try to convert back got an error "mxml: Character entity "" not terminated under parent <application>!" Tried also blb from catalyst 15.11 and got same error. Can you help with this please? Crimson 17.9.3 includes last version of atiapfxx.exe I found.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  14. zzeleznez

zzeleznez Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Solved: just replace "&" symbols in .xml to any other for example "n". Also latest atiapfxx.exe I found was in Crimson 17.9.3.

mirh likes this.