1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by gerardfraser, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

Poll closed Jul 22, 2019.
  1. Fail Do Not Reach Advertised Max Boost Speed

20.0%
  2. Bang On The Money

60.0%
  3. Poor Mans 25 Mhz Is That 350 Board

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ready To Fight For 50Mhz With X370

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not Bad 75Mhz Baby with 450 Heaven

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Boom 100Mhz I am done

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 125Mhz Stoked Satisfied Is That A X470 I See

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 150Mhz Time For X570 XTREME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 175Mhz Bite The Bullet Gone Master Class

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 200Mhz God Like Impossible

20.0%
  1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ^hes not wrong, linus tested it out only recently and a good air cooler will beat an AIO at around the same noise levels.

jaggerwild likes this.
  2. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Hmm i Am really intrigued here, because both of you are failing to grasp the differences between "real watercooling" as custom watercooling loop, i thought saying pixie dust would have been picked up as a jest ( noun a thing said or done for amusement; a joke.) would have been obvious then explained what the definition of water cooling so it would be picked up that both use pump, copper plate, radiator reservoir with liquid flowing through tubes but apparently this does not make it watercooling? If you have a XPSC stealth radiator a no or small reservoir and a light DC pump, is that proper watercooling? yet performance of it will be about on par with a AIO, so it is true watercooling or not? While I understand your definition of "proper watercooling" as a large custom watercooling setup which has selected parts and constructed together to make a loop with thick radiator and a micro fin stack along with a large resolver for optimal performance which makes it significantly better than a AIO.

So if you have a custom loop with a chiller, is it a chiller setup? or proper watercooling?, and if proper water cooing then what of a custom set up that you defined as "proper watercooling" since the definition between the two for you're selves is performance. Yet performance with the chiller setup is far superior to that of a "proper" watercooling set up between parts and whats in the setup. As this specific thread is about PBO which alot of people are confused about and if googling they may end up here and then you use this sort of wrong definition which causes further confusion as to how it works and how to spot it which people new to computers may not understand PDO, AMD did not help specifically clarifying on it either for the technology illiterate, then you come out with "proper watercooling" just confuses people thats not all that clued up and all you are doing is confusing them.

3. Disre Alabor

Disre Alabor New Member

GPU:
    2080 TI 11Gb
    Can you provide screenshots of these speeds you reaching?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    must be a joke unique to your area or nation.

5. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I replaced the motherboard yesterday as i said i had a lot of issues with the functionality of the crosshair 6 hero if the memory is clocked past 2400MHz next boot would fail and have to clear the CMOS and spend around 30-60mins memory retrain and clearing CMOS repeatedly trying to get the thing to post again and only have the weekend to play with it as i work away from home through the week.

Replaced the CH6 with the Strix X570-F yesterday but after doing so the OS refused to load so had to secure erase and reinstall windows along with it's million updates. After which i then created a new Pen Drive with W10 1903 so i don't have to go through that again. Need to install after burner again so i can monitor CPU clock speed dips.

X570 showed better single core gains matching 9900K in single core performance https://valid.x86.fr/bvuydm but reported multi core was only 4066MHz
    X370 had better multicore gains with reported 4116MHz https://valid.x86.fr/w9azdn although i don't recall it ever hitting that low maybe a glitch in CPU-Z.

I think the 4066MHz is a bit low, will fire up Prim95 to see.

*** In Prime95 it sits at 4.2GHz across all cores which looks fine for that specific workload ***

6. fredgml7

fredgml7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 570 4GB
    My 3700X with everything "auto" reaches 4.375 single core (running CineBench) and sometimes spikes to 4.399. I forgot the all core boost numbers.:oops:

I'm having a minor issue with SATA ports from ASmedia, I think I'll open a new topic about it (MPG X570 Gaming Plus).

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    MY 3600X Hitting 4500Mhz Cinebench 20

8. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    dang I think I'm half regretting not getting a 3600X. Not that the 3700X isn't good because it's awesome but I don't really need 8 cores and would have loved to get more non manual OC boost.

9. fredgml7

fredgml7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 570 4GB
    Very nice.
    I wasn't using PBO, and I'm not planning to use it, but I'll probably try just to see the results.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    is this with the beta chipset driver :D?

11. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Good question.I get the same results with the following Chipset Drivers and MSI Motherboard BIOS

AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3 I am Still using Beta BIOS and not the new BIOS with ab
    AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.07.0725-Release Day -July 7 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
    AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.26.0551-Beta Drivers -July 25 2019 With AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan which does not come with this chip set ,so here is a copy for anyone who wants this power plan.

Google drive AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan and How to import power plan from desktop.

Open Command Prompt as(Admin)- powercfg -import “Full path of .pow file”
    So from desktop command will look like - powercfg -import "C:\Users\YourName\AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver.pow"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXzg4CgLUoA-141QiQ0TdKL3WZ01putS/view?usp=sharing

12. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Guess my 3600X is getting like that AMD fine wine treatment with age:Boost now up to 4580Mhz.

In the stupid poll , only 17.9Mhz from GOD LIKE IMPOSSIBLE.

[​IMG]

13. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
    This is one of the reasons i decided to bite the X570 bullet,my Crosshair Hero V1 has been fine with the Ryzen 1700 with bios updates along the way ...but i think AMD botched/rushed this board into production.I bought the Asus Strix X570 Gaming - E 'cos i'm NOT shelling out over £400 for a new board :(

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I might have a go this weekend on the AB bios (Asus Tuf B450M-Pro Gaming).
    Got all the waterblocks, was going to wait for the ABB bios, but seeing the AB only just dropped, will probably start with this one.