Pre-Built Gaming/Multimedia Rig Specs, Looking For Opinions On Options

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ampmoth, Jan 15, 2011.

1. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    If I can jump in here and give you some building tips?

I am not going to post a bunch of prices because there are just too many different sites to compare to. I will give you some really good advice on a few things if you are planning on building your own PC for the first time. First, names mean everything in the PC world. Reputable names go far. In the PC world you really "get what you pay for". A lot of guys buy whatever best-buy has out to sell and so they usually end up with what I like to call questionable names. Names like G-skill for memory, sorry doesn’t cut it. You want a name like Corsair for memory. For motherboards you want Asus hands down. These guys are the king of PC motherboards, they are not going anywhere. They will be here 20 years from now so no worry about the company going belly-up like so many others has. For VGA cards go with Asus, they make the best cards period! They usually have the best cooling solutions for there cards as well. I have never had a single issue with anything with an Asus name attached to it, ever, but then again I do not abuse my hardware either. Don't buy cheap no -name, names because frankly there is a reason why these names don't stand out or last long. Reputation is everything in the PC business. Prices only matter when comparing to other guys on hardware forums. What matters are reliability, compatibility and stability!

Look at my specs to the left: I can play any game with this 100% stable and problem free all day long. It cost under a grand brand new and best of all I built it with my own hands...

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    SSD(solid state drive) its like x3 to x10 times faster than a HDD(hard drive disk)
    for windows and installed programs is a very good option, you loading times(windows/programs startup) will be stunning faster than conventional HDDs

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    G.Skill is a good memory brand. Corsair is good too; it's not like there can be only one choice.

Asus is great, but MSI and Gigabyte make great motherboards as well. Sure, everyone can have their preference, but there are always MSI boards that are better than some competing ASUS boards and Gigabyte boards that are better than some competing MSI boards etc.

Cooling solutions seem to be one of their strenghts, but MSI with its Twin Frozr II cards is a strong competitor. Unlike ASUS though, MSI provides solid capacitors in some of its reference design cards. And unlike both of the above, EVGA offers lifetime warranty. Looking at the GTX 570 ref cards, it's a tough call between EVGA and MSI for me. The solid capacitors with a lower price would be pretty nice, EVGA offers solid capacitors only in its more expensive 570 SC.

So can >95% of all systems that aren't all ASUS.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    lehtv

I changed the PSU to the Corsair AX-850, deltatux placed it in his list as well.

He also listed that memory for the i5, and several posts that came afterwards approved the set up so I'm assuming that memory is fine for it.

lehtv & esphack

I read a lot of reviews stating the current keep crashing due to issues and to wait for the new ones coming out soon (as you said lehtv), so I'll pick that at a later date when the reviews are more stable.

maleficarus

I've done a lot of research on brands and have been very careful about what I've put on my list. I have leaned away from Asus on many accounts because the product I was looking at at much worse reviews than one by another brand. I appreciate the input however. It's very much a product by product case.

I really appreciate the input guys. Thank you.

The sound card is really throwing me for a loop since I'm not sure what to look for compatibility wise. I've had my eyes on this and the reviews are solid all around. Would this be fine in my setup?
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96KHz Sound Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102033

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I chose the GIGABYTE one because for a new builder, you might mistaken the third PCIe slot and do a tri-fire or tri-SLI and wonder why it's so slow with your multi-GPU and etc.

deltatux

6. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I'll be lucky if I convince myself to do duo-sli, let alone tri-sli. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the one GPU for awhile if not infinitely. The motherboard otherwise is fine, correct?

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Should be though I still like that GIGABYTE one more

deltatux

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I tend to avoid recommending Creative Labs products as their Product and Technical support are known to be the worst in the industry. Their drivers tend to have odd bugs in them. The only advantage to Creative products or Creative based products, is the hardware accelerated audio processing.

If you plan on connecting to an amp/receiver, I would suggest this card as an alternative to the Creative Labs card: http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_hometheater_hd.php

If connecting speakers/headset directly to the sound card with no amp/receiver, I'd suggest this card: http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian2g.php

9. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
  10. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire
    Just to let you know, Kingwin is one of the retail brands made by Super Flower.
    Super Flower is considered on par with Seasonic.
    Check some of the Kingwin reviews out there. Johnnyguru especially has a good review for the LZG series.
    I just decided on the LZ850W over the Corsair TX750, as Corsair has recently changed it's provider companies on some of it product lines, and the results have been less than stellar. Also, the LZ850 is modular, and a respectable 100wt more. I found it for $119 on tiger direct, whereas the TX750 was on sale at the egg for $99.
    It was more than I needed, but it would be a good fit for dual 570's.
    And at $159 for the Auzentech...I'd skip it and go for a higher end Xonar from ASUS. They seem to have the best drivers around from what I've heard.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011