1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[PPU] BFG's PhysX PPU Card Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by asprine, May 12, 2006.

1. asprine

asprine Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D 9700
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=244

"Final Thoughts

At its current state, the BFG AGEIA PhysX PPU card is a mixed bag. On one hand, the card’s additions to Ghost Recon and the couple other titles that are in retail that support PhysX, are less than spectacular. The changes in realism and visual quality are really minimal and I think most users would feel that the required additional $200 investment wouldn’t be worth it quite yet. "

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. r3g

r3g Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270x
    im eager to see how long it will be before a PPU is really needed.

3. cepher2101

cepher2101 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900gs KO
    until spore is released.

4. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    At the current rate of GPU developement.... Never ! I mean seriously just think about it, we get a new GPU every 3-4 months and a new line once a year, on top of that there are like 2 maybe 3 games that can bring the latest and greatest gfx cards to it's knees but still allow the user to get playable frame rates.
    So IMHO PPU's r just another gimmick....

5. INGINE

INGINE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro 2800m
    i dun care about AGEIA PhysX PPU, coz i own SLI in my hand, with NVIDIA and HAVOK Physics R4, and 34 titles as a starter, one GPU will be my realtime renderer and the second my Physics processor, and even u guys, just buy 7600 or 7300 as the second card, NVIDIA enabled HAVOK engine on SLI with different card, so like spend $100 or less for that, though u can do HAVOK on a single card, but that will lower the performance, and if u like both performance (rendering, physics), NVIDIA said that they will enable HAVOK to work partial on the second GPU and the other usage will be for the rendering, so buy identical if u like. or non, for a dedicated GPU, will i'm worried about ATI, its really far behind in GPGPU and Physics, it ain't working hard like NVIDIA, i got this conclusion coz i haven't been hearing some serious news until now.

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Dual core, the PhysX killer. The card is totally useless. The whole point of dual core is to allow a PC to do multiple tasks. Video is complex for a CPU, math calculations (physics) are not. Dual Core renders the physX obsolete.

7. INGINE

INGINE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro 2800m
    will even Dual core, at nvidia 15,000 boulder animation, it would do a 12 fps, and 6 on a single, but at a gpu, it would be 60 fps on 7900gtx, Dual core flops in low, no like GPU which comes at 10-25x

8. BigBud

BigBud New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC 256MB
    I have been fortunate enough to receive a BFG PPU for free but as yet (apart from the odd demo) I don't have any games that will take advantage of it. I wouldn't have spent £200 on one now when there are few titles backing it.

My PC is over 4 years old now and is showing its age on a few of my favourite games, BF2, HL2 etc etc... so it should help prop up the relatively slow performance of my shed of a Dell!