powerVR is back!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gram_vaz, Aug 14, 2005.

1. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    for those of you that remember when this company was part of the gpu game. they also made the gpu for the dreamcast. powerVR uses tile based rendering for increased performance. just look at everything the dreamcast was capable of.

though unfortunately this is just an 8pipe card and meant for mobile products only. :(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/29/imagination_powervr_sgx/

http://www.powervr.com/Products/Graphics/Index.asp

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  2. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    YAY!

I always loved my Kyro 4000 XT, hell of a card.

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Yeah they've been up to something for some years now. Saw something on a magazine about their mobile chips a year and a half ago. Photocopied the magazine, but of course... i lost the article. It can be found on a pdf somewhere.
    It might only have 8 pipes, but consider that it won't be rendering in 1024*768 or higher resolutions and remember the Kyro boards that on complex scenes with a lot of over drawing, were faster than a GeForce even if their fill rate was less than half of the competition ;-)

4. mildew

mildew Member Guru

GPU:
    Triplex 9800pro
    these days most non visible polygons are removed by the game engine itsself, making tile based rendering far less usefull.

m

5. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    I remember PowerVR, i just dont remember in what context.

I think i might have had once of their old video cards. It would be in my grandmothers computer now, so she can play scrabble with it.

6. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070

But what if youre moving around alot(in game)? Then you would have to render the polygons, the textures, ext, so wouldnt it be slow it down?

7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    You are quite right Kon$olE. I know that in-game engines don't remove the polygons, at lest not in Valves games. That is how they make wallhacks. A wall hack wouldn't be possible if the engine removed the polygons that weren't/shouldn't be in view. Though, I guess if you knew enough about the code you could make it draw it or something.

I would think tile based rendering would still be wuite useful seeing as how powerful the Dreamcast is/was. It nearly has the graphics of the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube yet came out year(s) earlier. Hopefully they will try another gaming card so we can see if it's still as effective.

8. mildew

mildew Member Guru

GPU:
    Triplex 9800pro
    good point alex. the hl1 engine does not remove hidden surfaces of course. i saw a screenie a few weeks ago of a cs source player busted wallhacking, and the hack appeared to be overlaying sprites where the players are, not actually seeing through the walls.

a level like ravenholme "must" have low level hidden surface removal surely? - i have seen it run fine on a duron1200!

m

9. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    when ATi defined its crossfire, it reminded me of powerVR's tile rendering a lot. I was wondering why they weren't doing something similar allready(ATi...or anyone else) with single cards.

10. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    I never had a PowerVR card, but I've heard how good they were at their time.

11. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I'm thinking that (super)tiling just splits the screen into smaller pieces. As such there is something else on the PowerVR cards that renders only the visible parts.

I don't really know that much about it, so hopefully someone can correct me or provide more info.