Powercolor pcs+ 5850 graphics problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CronoRay, Apr 29, 2011.

1. CronoRay

CronoRay New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Hi everyone, i have had my PC for a little bit over a year now i had it fixed under warranty once and got the CPU and motherboard replaced and everything for the most part is working fine now.

The problem is since i first got the PC i have had this Powercolor Radeon HD PCS+ 5850 1GB video card in my PC, the thing is i did not try to do it right away i played some games when i first got my PC. Everything seemed to have run fine, then i decided to let ATI control panel overclock my video card for me to see how much it could get out of it at stable levels.

It only got so far before it artifact the whole screen and i had to restart the PC, since then i have never tried again after reading at a few sites that Powercolor does not unlock there video cards for much overclocking potential.

The ultimate question is, is it possible that doing that auto overclocking damaged my video card causing basically all of my games to have weird graphical glitches with any AA turned on, or is it just a faulty video card in general. Whenever i turn AA on for any of my games it causes textures to go black in say dawn of war 2 on all characters pretty well.

Then in company of heroes with AA on it puts a big 1 inch black border around the screen, there are many other games to but those are the two i can think of off hand that have a lot of trouble with AA on. Another problem is my monitor works perfectly fine but when i turn on my monitors ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio feature, it cuts out screen picture while loading up windows and certain games, then comes back on after it is done loading basically.

I contacted ASUS about it and they said the monitor is likely protecting itself in some way from the video card, so i am not sure if it is my video card that is the problem or if certain games i play have this problem. I have heard of certain games having problem with AA on with video cards sometimes but never black textures or 1 inch black borders when AA is on in the games.

2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    The auto overclock isn't very good, I don't know how it exactly works, but afaik it doesn't/can't touch your volts, so nothing should happen permanently.

3. CronoRay

CronoRay New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Ok so it is more likely a problem with the video card since day one then and has nothing to do with the overclock i attempted then i suppose. Any other advice someone can give me that may know anything about this problem?.

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Have you tried reinstalling/updating drivers.
    As a last resort you should try formatting your hdd and reinstalling windows.

5. CronoRay

CronoRay New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    Yes i have updated my drivers, and i have also reinstalled windows, ncix formatted for me when i got my pc fixed by them. So it is not any of those, i am starting to lean more towards the video card be bummed out. I am just wanting to make sure to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

So that i can confirm if it is the video card or just the games i am playing.

6. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Well have you tried more than one game?
    Did you try to reinstall and or update the game to check if the game had a problem.
    Can you post a screenshot?

7. CronoRay

CronoRay New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    How do you post screen shots on the forums, i can not see a button or anything to do it?

8. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Open your game and when the "artifacts" appear, press Print Screen (right from F12 presumably), run mspaint save and upload it to http://www.imageshack.us/ and link the picture in here.