Powercolor HD3850 AGP on Vista SP1 (Am I the only one with this problem???)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Yarost, May 22, 2008.

1. Yarost

Yarost New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 3850 512Mb AGP
    Hello,
    I've been searching for a solution to fix my problem when I stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be populated by people who know their stuff ! I hope you guys will be able to help me resolve my IMO strange problem...

So here's the deal, I've installed the Catalyst 8.4 AGP HOTFIX on a fresh clean install of Vista SP1 32bits and then Rivatuner 2.09 to fix the default clock rate and the AGP speed. (I need to put the speed to 4x because at 8x, any 3d applications will freez my comp, but more on that later...)After the obligatary reboots requested by the installation of those 2 things, I decide to launch a game to try out DX10 stuff (CoH: Opposing Fronts.) and ZOMG, I see the intro logos lag before me. Once at the menu, same thing : everything is slow...I decide to launch another game, to see if the problem is widespread (Hellgate London) and SURPRISE, lag-fest at intro logos/menu. Once and for all, I want to know if this really is a problem with all 3D applications : I launch the 3D chess game whom came with Vista. Of course the thing lags as hell, even though this isn't the kind of game which demandes a LOT from a graphic card. As the stuborn chap that I am, I launch the Catalyst Control Panel to check out the settings. I almost let out a loud WTF? when I saw that the 3D preview windows ran smoothly and without any lag....
    Bafled by this newfound discovery, I try a little experiment : I will survey the GPU usage feed through the HARDWARE MONITORING tool from Rivatuner.
    First test: I launch the chessgame. Another WTF goes by silently in my head as I look at the feedback. The GPU USAGE is rather inexistant, barely reaching 0.26%. No wonder even this game lags.
    Second test: I launch the Catalyst Control Panel to look at the 3D preview windows. And uhm, guess what fellows? The GPU USAGE returned normal scores, proving that the graphic card was working on it.
    Shortly after that, I made the usual "Uninstall drivers/Driver cleaner/Reinstall drivers" sweep, but still the same problem......

I noticed something interesting when I activated the Aero theme : For those who are not aware, the Aero theme from Vista enables some 3d features for the desktop using the GPU. Well when I was under that theme, because my GPU was being used, I could play the Chess game smoothly. But I had no luck with my other games (Company of Heroes and Hellgate London) because in SP1, Vista will automatically disable the Aero theme when you launch a game application.... Is there some kind of registry hack that could prevent Vista from disabling Aero ? (Like it was done under the first iteration of Vista.)

Another little discovery I've made : I was in the regular Vista theme (thus no Aero GPU usage.) and noticed that when I reduced the window of the Chess game, it would run smoothly. However, putting back the window at maximum size reput the thing into lag mode.

I've tried running my 2 games in windowed mode, however it did not change anything. Still the no GPU usage laging problem....

I've tried many drivers, old and new, inlcuding the newest 8.5 Catalyst but still no luck so I really think it might be a problem with the motherboard's AGP driver...

So mates, what the hell do you think is going on right there ? I'd like to precise that the card works under XP! (Even though I had trouble installing the drivers like most people who own this damned card.)

Which brings me to another question : My motherboard is AGP 8x compliant, but why won't the card function under 8x mode ? Has it something to do with voltage ? In my mobo's manual, it is said it supports 8x at 0.8v.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. Shnur

Shnur Member

GPU:
    Palit HD 3870 512MB OC 86
    Hi,
    I'm not using and AGP port anymore since I think it's too much a bottleneck theses days with current cards.
    But on what I know about thoses cards, but my HD3870 requires about 1.3V and you've mentionned that you were getting only 0.8 out of your board, but I guess that you have a 6-pin power supply cord attached to your card that gets the rest.
    About the 8x AGP, you may need to update your BIOS for that... if you've tried other cards on your mobo on 8x then it's maybe the BIOS that doesn't recognize correctly the card.
    Have you tried installing XP or working without SP1? Since there's alot of bugs in SP1, there's maybe one with the AGP cards running with your motherboard.
    Also, are you sure that your CPU meets the games minimum requirements?
    It could meet them on DX9 but on DX10 there's alot more job to do and you single core 2.4 GHz P4 may not be enough today for the games to be rendered in DX10... try using DX9 on Vista even if it's a DX10 title. You can find a copy of the game in DX9 in that game folder.

Hope it helps.
    Bring news.

Best regards
    Shnur.

3. Yarost

Yarost New Member

GPU:
    I doubt it would have trouble rendering the menus though...
    Anyway like I precised before, I can play any of the games without any problem on XP. (Dual boot) I guess I must be the only owner of a HD 3850 AGP on a MSI 648MAX moboard cause I can't find anyone else who's got the same problem...

4. Shnur

Shnur Member

GPU:
    Palit HD 3870 512MB OC 86
    Have you tried Dx9 version of thoses games on Vista?
    What about Vista WITHOUT SP1?
    Also, you could stick with XP until you get another PC... Running Dx10 content on today's hardware (even extreme) isn't the greatest in performance...
    Between, I had menus lagging in my face with Crysis (before I got me HD3870) so it's actually possible that you have a great bottleneck on your CPU since Vista likes to use some CPU power to do some work in the background (unlike XP that does alot less work)

5. Yarost

Yarost New Member

GPU:
    You don't understand, it's nothing to do with DirectX. Any 3D applications I launch in Vista lags. And my menu laging isn't comparable to your menu laging experiences : this is a 1 FPS kind of lag.

6. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    It's not vista.....I would check your power supply....if it is good then reflash your mobo bios.....that may help if there are any errors...if your power supply is not stable that will cause that to happen

7. thechiweenie

thechiweenie Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3850 512mb PCI-E x16
    I know you mention you've tried many drivers, including 8.5, I take it 8.5 hotfix also. Though have you tried Powercolor's drivers? Maybe Sapphire? Also remove drivers-Safe Mode-Driver Clean Pro-reboot-Install. BIOS on the motherboard might work, you have a HIPER 580W PSU, I don't know much, but I think it should be able to run your card, but not sure. Especially since they run under XP, I doubt the PSU is the problem. I hope that helps. Let us know what happens

8. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    had a little google and...
    The ABit ppls with that chipset do this
    post write combine: enabled
    no mask option: enabled
    MSI BIOS may not have those options though

If I were you I would make sure I had the latest BIOS and do a bit more googling. Also if XP works...

9. Jacklking

Jacklking Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt
    I just looked at your current system....I do suggest you stick with windows xp for what you have....it will work much better for you untill you get a more current system