Powercolor HD 4850 2 GB GDDR3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dkjbama, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dkjbama

dkjbama Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 2900PRO (flashed to XT)
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    I heard a lot of GDDR5 ram is being reserved for 4870x2.

And I agree, 4870 1GB would be more interesting, but according to Fudzilla those cards will not be great in numbers.

3. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Discussed in another thread already.

4. dkjbama

dkjbama Member

GPU:
    Way to be a jerk to an apparent newb. So sorry to muddy up your precious forum. How's your e-peen now?

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    meh i wonder what the advantage the 1GB has over the 512MB remebering that DDR5 is very fast and has alot of bandwidth

6. dkjbama

dkjbama Member

GPU:

I somewhat agree here. The incredible clock speed certainly does allow AMD to get away with a 256 bit bus and keep the bandwidth high.

However, the way I understand it, the high bandwidth doesn't help with capacity. It would probably mostly come into play at 2560 with high AA levels or maybe 1920 at REALLY high AA levels, at which point the X2 with 2x1GB would most likely be a more appropriate choice anyway.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't framebuffer bandwidth and framebuffer size two totally different issues. I wouldn't think the amount of bandwidth would be somewhat irrelevant to the size of the framebuffer. If the card has to use system memory whenever it runs out of VRAM, its gonna slow down just the same. If you equate this to a system ram situation, it would be like saying that you can get away with 2GB of PC21066 ram in place of 4GB of 800 ram when your really need the 4GB. I could be completely wrong here though. I'm more than willing to admit that I'm not too clear about what exactly goes on on a vidcard.

I kinda feel like 2GB is too much but 512MB is just not enough. Thoughts?

7. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Frame buffer and memory bandwidth are indeed two seperate, albeit related, issues. The high bandwidth allows for changes to occur in memory faster which can potentially alleviate issues where the buffer needs to pull in new data.

Personally though I play at 1920x1200 and I've yet to have a situation where I've hit frame buffer limits. I was very concerned about that as I had an 8800 GTX before. But in all situations I've seen a performance increase rather than decrease, especially when it comes to higher levels of AA. I based my decision on the various reviews I saw when the card came out and saw that the HD 4870 was as much as twice as fast as my old GTX at my resolution. Frame buffer came in though at 2560x1600 for sure in which case the 4870 X2 would make much more sense due to double the GPU power and double the frame buffer.

8. dkjbama

dkjbama Member

GPU:
    That makes sense.

I'm itching for a 4870. My space-heater/hoover 2900 is really killing me, but I haven't even had it for a year.