PowerColor Graphics card Sales Cave in - sells 80% fewer video cards than previous month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Maybe some good deals ahead?

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ironically, you still cant get used GPUs at even MSRP, let alone new ones.

A-holes wanting $300+ for mined on RX 480s/580s and I have only seen 1 Vega64 for sale locally for $700 used.

I dont care about Nvidia prices and gpus toll they support Freesync.

jaggerwild likes this.
  4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Prices are all over the place(brand new cards). Vega 56 is 499-819, Vega 64 is 599-899 and 580 are 310-360 (8gb) at a major retailer right now. (USA)

Last edited: May 24, 2018

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'll be waiting for the "next gen" as I'm not interested in 2 yo mined GPU's and OP BS.
    I know memory price will make the new series more expensive, but hopefully one can get them new at MSRP.

6. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I sold on a couple of my cards last month. I owned a 1080 since release week, 2 years later I've sold it for only £80 less than I paid. Sold a couple of RX cards at a small profit.

7. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    the price for gfx's card's are all over the place atm , i just look in the online shops in romania , it's funny tbh , GTX 1070/TI and gtx1080's can be found @ MSRP , meanwhile the gtx 1050/ti are overpriced , the 1050 cost's as a 1050ti and the 1050ti is all most @ the price of a 1060 3GB before this mining madness began :/

8. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    And so it begins. Hopefully I can grab a nice GPU in early 2019 for a decent price.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    At some point when ASICs end up being objectively a better choice (to my understanding, right now they aren't), I'm sure we're going to see all of these GPUs from both brands all over eBay and for pretty good prices. Assuming neither AMD or Nvidia will release a product better than a 1080Ti this year, this could be an easy way to build a powerful gaming PC for cheap. I see a lot of SLI/Crossfire setups appearing in the future.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Since having to RMA my Fury X 3 times to them I don't think I'll buy a Powercolor product everything.

airbud7, fantaskarsef and RzrTrek like this.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Instead of blaming the miners, blame the manufactures, not the customer.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    RAM prices alone ensure the video cards aren't dropping to their original price level, but they are already getting somewhere and aren't nearly as unreasonable as they were a while ago. Still, it has been a long time since I last time saw any nice special offers for any purpose. Video cards simply disappeared from stores' brochures.

Well, one thing still remains, of course: Vegas are incomprehensibly expensive. When a Vega64 costs 200 euros more than a GTX 1080, I don't know who would love it enough to get it. Or in other words, about the same money could get a 1080 Ti. Vega56 or GTX 1080 for the same price, uh huh? That just ain't right. I thought Vega56 was supposed to be the GTX 1070 beater, but in reality GTX 1070 is a lot cheaper, and even the GTX 1070 Ti is still significantly cheaper. But maybe that's just the case over here.

Maddness likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Retailers are pricing the products based on what the largest demographic (in terms of who buys the most product) is willing to pay. As of right now, miners are the largest demographic. That being said, it doesn't really make sense to compare these products based on their gaming performance and/or demand (let's face it, if miners didn't exist, the Vega models would be muuuch cheaper than their MSRPs by now). To my understanding, Vega is better at mining than Pascal, and on top of that, Vega56 is more expensive to manufacture than the 1070. So I think the current price point makes sense. Still incredibly irritating, but I get it.

Kaarme likes this.
  14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ah, I love how we are supposed to feel sorry for the companies that took advantage of a bubble that hurt the actual gaming base they have. Maybe they should get off their high horse, drop prices to near where they were before the whole mining craze and be thankful for the gamers that buy their cards. No regard for the people who have kept them alive all this time and a press release citing significant percentage losses month to month are supposed to make me feel bad for them. Boohoo.

fantaskarsef and The Phoenix like this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    AMD never publicly admitted Vega was designed for mining. They always maintained it was for gaming, entertainment, and such (in the consumer cards). As long as they stick to that, the cards should be compared to the Nvidia products in gaming cost efficiency. But yeah, if we are realistic and see things as they truly are, then you are correct.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, doesn't look it to me, either. All the RX-580's (8GB) listed on Amazon are at least $100 over MSRP.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...gb&sprefix=RX-580+,aps,132&crid=1RH5E5OF83R5O

When I see these products returning to their MSRPs (and under) then I will believe supply is abundant.

17. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I think they did admit many of their cards were designed for mining when they introduced a driver with Blockchain optimizations.

18. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    a clear sign the bubble has burst. We can at least slowly see recovery start to happen.

The knife has been pulled out of the wound.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I never said anything about what AMD claimed. My point is retailers and AIBs (both of which AMD has little control over) are the ones who revolve their sales around miners.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The price increases are from retailers and e-tailers, not manufacturers.....

HandR, Embra and fantaskarsef like this.