PowerColor Announces RX Vega Red Dragon Vega 56

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    TUL has introduced the newest PowerColor Red Dragom RX Vega 56 8GB HBM2. This card complements the already successful Red Devil Vega cards offering a more value solution in a environment of rising pri...

PowerColor Announces RX Vega Red Dragon Vega 56

386SX likes this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @Hilbert: There is an error in your chart. You describe the card as HBM2, while GDDR5 is written in the table below. This should be HBM2, too, right?

3. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Good for them.

It is getting boring to read company X is releasing a Vega IceSuperTripleOC while company Y launch a 1080ti with 36 fans and Santa Claus RGB.

Time for Nvidia to release new HW

4. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    @Hilbert: There is 2 errors. One is the description of the card as “Dragom” I’m sure this should be Dragon. The other is the DDR5 error???

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    hah, cheers mate. The last one actually is listed in the press-release lol :)

6. AMDfan

AMDfan Guest

GPU:
    280X
    It's a great looking card, too bad most will be used for mining...... and there won't be manny in stock for months to come

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well the GPU's have started coming down in price though it's still around 700 to 800 US Dollars comparably and the stock last I checked was less than a 100 GPU's available (Vega 56 in various models.) although it varies a bit and some still stick to the 1000 - 1100 US Dollar pricing that was common a while back.

Still nowhere near the MSRP and not worth it at all when a 1080 or even 1080 Ti would be within that same price range whereas the '56 competes mostly with the 1070 non-Ti model.
    (Far Cry 5 might be a interesting test, they're really pushing the FP16 optimization last I saw from a German article. - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/866hno/new_water_engine_in_far_cry_5_fp16_calculations/ )

EDIT: Let's just do a quick check just to see what current pricing is.

Gigabyte Vega '56 (The worst of the custom models?) - 938 USD.
    Asus Vega '56 (STRIX) - 975 USD.
    Sapphire Vega '56 (Nitro+) - 1023 USD.
    Sapphire Vega '56 (Pulse) - 1134 USD.
    Sapphire Vega '56 (Stock) - 1585 USD. (Just one store that has a few of these it seems like.)
    MSI Vega '56 (Airboost) - 951 USD.

So all in all looks like pricing is back up again since last I checked around two weeks back I think.

Well who knows, maybe availability might improve over the next couple of months so that might see pricing normalized a bit. For now the 580 and especially Vega GPU's just aren't worth investing in when compared to similar priced products from NVIDIA which are faster, at least when it comes to gaming.

EDIT: So for this? Well 10000 SEK or around there I'm guessing for which stores get a few of these in stock or around 1000 US Dollar after conversion. (It's not quite 1 SEK - 10 USD but not too far off either.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Kaarme likes this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Interesting. My usual hardware store still isn't even listing Vegas, they removed them back when they were impossible to acquire, but another store actually has a bunch of models, mainly Asus, listed as being immediately available. But no matter if it's 570/580 or Vega (or 1070/1080), they are still so expensive that if my current video card died, I'd rather stop gaming at all than pay the highwayman prices the shops are asking.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah, trading or buying used could work but then you can never really be sure how that card was handled by it's previous owner. Sitting in a mining rack under clocked and under volted isn't too bad doing a constant workload but it could be using a bios mod and there's the chance it's been overclocked instead which could have affected the GPU in a variety of ways.

Physical stores around here are mostly generic hardware and OEM chains so online is the only alternative where Vega GPU's are usually listed as being out of stock but a shipment came in around the 13th this month though it's mostly sold out now and the few GPU's remaining are probably why the prices rose again. Two stores in particular use a much higher retail price though it's still selling out but they tend to have stock available for a while longer than other online retailers which yeah no-one wants to buy at those prices unless there's no alternative heh.

Some stores are also not taking in anymore shipments and you can see these cards under the actual MSRP though I doubt pricing will go down to that level anytime soon. (400 - 500 US Dollars depending on the card model and brand.)

Having more models available can't hurt but the shortage of cards is probably going to remain a issue for a few more months if not more, AMD seems to have ramped up production a little bit but HBM is complex even if it's not sharing the shortage problems that GDDR is with the phone market and if mining does come to a halt they probably also wouldn't want to have a large amount of GPU's that are hard to sell off.
    (Though since Vega has been hard to find since Autumn it might not be quite as big of a issue assuming the price goes down to more normal levels.)

EDIT: As for the card here itself it looks like the Sapphire Pulse is starting to see a few reviews so maybe there will be some for this too eventually unless they're all sitting on pre-order already.

Guessing performance and factors won't be too different to the other Vega 56 models but we'll see I suppose assuming some reviewers actually manage to get ahold the card before they're all sold off. :D