Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. pcupm

pcupm New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia FX 5900 XT
    Thank you very much for your answer MJay27, i will get the shappire for sure.

I can see we have the same micro so your advice is really apreciated.

Too bad the fps in gtaiv, is that way even with low settings?

one last thing, where do you get the drivers?

thanks again and regards!!

2. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Hi again!

If i put the settings in GTA IV to the lowest I get better fps but the Game looks ugly. I play all on Medium with setting the traffic and distances to the console Values and this is the best compromise between FPS and Image Quality.

By the way the reason is not the HD3850 which is by far Fast enough for GTA IV, the Problem are our CPU´s. GTA IV hates Athlon X2 Processors, says OK to Core 2 Duos and "loves" QuadCores ;)

Even if my Athlon 64 X2 4200+ for Socket 939 is overclocked to 2.6 GHz which is equal to a AM2 X2 5000+ it is still way too slow for GTA IV.

Oh and I get my Drivers directly from the ATI/AMD Page (i never use the hotfixes) and modify them myself so they run like the standard PCI-E Version. So far no problems. If you don´t modify the ini files the Driver says "Unknown Hardware Found".

Greetings

MJay27

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    In real games maybe here and there 2 to 3 fps more :3eyes:(let's sa for a average of 35 fps), in 3DMark 06 ca. 300 points more on the result. I think is worth it as long as there are no stability issues:).

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    My card had 9150 id, (bought at her very appearence) can the bios be flashed to 9050 in order to install the normal drivers?? Link??:3eyes:

5. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    I have heard of a few that have flashed their card's bioses from 9515 to 9505 id no problems at all, just make sure it is the same brand.

One interesting thing I noticed using the official drivers was that fastwrites never got turned on, even when on in the bios, but Hotfix drivers it is on, so I will use hotfix drivers for as long as they are available.

Fastwrites on has been known to cause issues withc certain configurations though, so it isn't a great loss.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Did Fastwrites ever gained some FPS increase or some kind of other improvements? Fastwrites runs on my System but i turned it off in the BIOS as far as i know it caused nothing as instabilitys.

Or is Fastwrites equal to some PCI-E Bus function?

7. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    I don´t really know. To be honest i don´t want to take the risk of damaging the card as i never flashed an VGA Bios.

8. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    It is called AGP Fastwrites, so is definitely related to the AGP only.

9. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    I know that this is an AGP only feature. But i meant something different that is not so easy to explain...

I meant is there a similar PCI-E feature that does some similar operations like AGP Fastwrites? So if it is so then turning it on could accelerate the AGP Bus and provide at least a little bit performance increase?

10. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    Hi guys. I am getting the powercolor HD3850 agp card. My current card is overheating badly and I've had enough of it. I want to prolong my system before I upgrade next year after saving up. I'm just wondering what kind of advice you guys have on installing this card, because from what I've read people have a lot of problems.

I have the ASUS motherboard shown here:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=30&model=175&modelmenu=1

Do I just do the usual?
    >Uninstall drivers
    >run driver cleaner in safe mode
    >power off and insert card
    >boot up and install the software that comes in the box

Or do I have to get some kind of hotfix in advance? Also, do I need a speacial cable other tan a VGA one to connect it to my monitor? I would be very grateful for any help because I don't knwow too much about these things.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

11. evolucion888

evolucion888 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX Vega 64 LC
    If your videocard is overheating, probably the cooler isn't properly setted on the card. If you are using Windows XP, uninstall drivers, reboot in safe mode and use driver cleaner, then reboot normally and then install the drivers as normally yo do. In Vista I don't recommend doing it because it can give more bad than good. Your PSU is 700W I assume right?

12. googlegod

googlegod Member Guru

GPU:
    I Could Tell You But Then
    Did anyone try the 9.1 driver ? Like to know if it works before telling a friend about it !

13. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    heard someone did and works good, but had to modify inf file

14. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    My PSU is 600W. Thanks for the advice. I did get the card and it installed very easily. The card idles around 40 - 42 degrees and around 50 when loaded so my case is defintely well aired - i think I could have put in a cooler for my old card or re-seated it but it has a history of overheating.

I still have some perforance issues though so I'm thinking that there could be another problem, I'll probably re-apply some arctic 5 to my cpu. My setup is over 3 years old so I can't expect everything to be running as well as it once was.

15. ReDxKinG

ReDxKinG New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS
    Hey Guys,

So I was doing a search on google in regard to the compability between my motherboard & this card (3850 AGP) and came accross this site and read some very interesting post's and decided to Register and post as I have a question that I was hoping some/One of you can answer for me. I have a 775 dual vsta Motherboard. For those that dont know it is a hybrid board that allows the use of the Core2duo processor and features both PCI-E(albeit at 4x) and AGP 8x as well as DDR1 and DDR 2 slots. It's basically the younger brother of the 4corevsta. Anyway I am NOT ready to do a full upgrade and simply cannot afford to and My current setup which you can see under my username to the left is with a BFG 7800gs(Was good at the time I bought it but not anymore) and 1.5gigs of DDR1 ram along with an E6300 Core 2 duo processor @ stock and to make a long story short I want to squeeze as much performance out of this board as possible before I do a full upgrade which leads me to the reason for my post.

Do you guys think that I will see a significant boost in performance if I were to upgrade to 2 gigs of DDRII ram(Which Im guessing/hoping will run in dual channel mode) as well as upgrade to the HD 3850 AGP card? and Also do you think my current power supply would be enough to handle 3850 or do you think I would need to upgrade that as well. Here is my current PSU http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153007
    I know its a bit on the old side but if I don't need to upgrade it then id rather not unless the 3850agp card absolutely requires it.

Any advice/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I was originally considering purchasing a PCI-E card but figured it wouldnt be worth it as I would be depriving the card of performance at best so I figure I might as well stick with AGP as it isn't hindered by any limitations on my motherboard. I am NOT interested in any PCI-E card as I plan to do a FULL upgrade in the next 10 months or so and will worry about it then.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009

16. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    @ReDxKinG I have a similar type mobo but it's an asus board.I bought this card and 2 gigs 6400 ddr2 recently.I was using a tagan 480W psu and started getting random reboots ..etc.I had to upgrade my power supply.

So, I would try it but, if you start having problems be ready to get a new psu, just incase.

I can't run dual channel with ddr2 on my board but, maybe you'll have better luck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  17. ReDxKinG

ReDxKinG New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS

Interesting...Thanks for replying..Quick question, does your cpu hold you back in certain games? Also does the card handle most of todays games reasonably well?

18. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870

For the games I'm playing now (CoD4,Mirror's Edge,Rise of the Argonauts,Titans Quest , Source games) everything's can be maxed and still get high fps and stays smooth.Fear 2 demo runs good.So, yea it's handled everything I've thrown at it ,so far.

I still could upgrade the cpu to core2dou now but, I wanna wait to get a decent mobo/cpu combo and keep updating components separately.

19. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    9.1 Drivers

For 3850 agp to make them work :
    must have hidden files shown in windows folders

go to C:\ATI\support\9-1_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_74230\Driver\Driver\

CX_74230.INI
    Find ,"0x9505:0x30001002,"

change to
    ,0x9505:0x30001002,0x9515:0x00281787,

INSTALL.INI
    Find ,"0x9505:0x30001002,"

change to
    ,0x9505:0x25421002,0x9515:0x00281787,

Driver.Dat
    Find ,",9505,"

change to

go to C:\ATI\support\9-1_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_74230\Driver\Driver\XP_INF

CX_74230.inf
    find "ATI Radeon HD 3850" and add...

"ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515&SUBSYS_00281787

"ATI Radeon HD 3850" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9505

run C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-1_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_74230\Driver\Setup.exe

20. Sugetsu

Sugetsu New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 3850 512mb dd3
    Hello guys, I am new to these forums. Just as many others before me, I just bought a new ATI Shapire 3850 via neweeg.com and it is now underway, I should get it by tomorrow or friday.

I have read these thread extensively and I am pretty well informed myself but I would like some advice on how I should install it. I have read many times that there seems to be a compatibility issue with VIA chips, is this true? My mother board has a VIA chip on a AMD platform =(

I have an asus motherboard: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=67&l4=0&model=790&modelmenu=1

I also ordered this new PSU, which is coming along with my video card :): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339012

I have 1.5g of pc3200 sdram.

My old video card died on me, its fan doesn't work anymore so I can only boot into safe mode, which means I won't be able to download the latest ATI drivers for the new card. How should I proceed with the installation process once the PSU and Video card get here?

I got experience building PCs but it never hurts to ask others to increase your knowledge :)

Thanks in advance.