Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Paulycc

Paulycc New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 3850 AGP
    First time poster, but I've been lurking for awhile...

It seems there's no Drivers for my Powercolor HD 3850 AGP.. No I didn't just try one driver and come to this conclusion heh...
    I don't see how any could work without patching or scripting..which is what bothers me. arghhh.. see below.

My HD 3850 is according to GPU-z and Everest, of the RV670 batch, with a 9515 DevID..
    Most driver .inf files I've looked at thus far have the ID 9505 in the 38xx line, and some have the 9515, but every driver .inf file I've looked at has RV630 for any of the 38xx series......

550 Antec PSU, strong stable 12v, My temp's seem to be around 40 C at the GPU, so I'm pretty certain this is a driver issue.

Trying different drivers (forcing to the .inf file) The worst I get is an immediate BSOD, and the best is being able to get to my desktop and check temp's etc. but trying anything like moving a window immediately freezes, odd artifacting, and then a blank screen, BSOD.

I've installed, uninstalled, CCleaner, Windows Installer Cleanup, DriverSweep, DriverCleaner Pro (everytime I might add) everything from 8.3 to 8.8, in safe mode, including all hotfix's (which seems to differ by just having an added line of script for a 3850 AGP) and beta's.. Because of my card's ID I would think flashing the bios 9505 could help, as it has some who have tried, but im sure they did it with the RV630 core...?

I'm not a gamer, not getting crashes from some intense game, there is just no Driver for me it seems..literally.. at this point.

I would really like to just go to the FireGL softmod, but I'm on vista x64, and can't do a fresh install at this point... No one seems to have done a vista x64 Patch.... :kermit:

Any advice? I've tried to manually insert my ID 9515 and copied and pasted a RV670 designation for each instance within the driver .inf file, but it doesn't work. (I'm sure there needs to be more done not just in the .inf file :))

2. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Well, the point of the hotfix drivers is for the agp cards, so it's confusing why yours isn't working...

There must be some conflicting drivers left over somewhere in your system that's all I can think of...

My Sapphire 3850 has the 9515 device ID and the hotfix drivers work like a charm however, that is in 32bit Windows XP and 32bit Windows Server 2008.

Perhaps AGP+64bit windows is just something that doesn't go well together?

3. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    [ati2mtag_RV630] is just a tag in the inf for a lot of cards it does not mean RV630 core.. (I think it means something like MADDx5 + Sound Chip)

you need to edit files something like this... (this was for 8.3).. just use ultraedit or something to search in the files for 9505
    http://newbling.net/HD3850_PowerColor_Drivers/how to edit ATI 8.3.txt

A BIOS flash or hotfix drivers would be better these days though, we never had them for 8.3's

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  4. Paulycc

Paulycc New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 3850 AGP
    Hey thanks for the responses, I was hoping someone with a Sapphire card might swing by this thread.. :)

I was going off some bad information that RV670 gpu was reserved only for the PCI-e 3850's, hence my confusion, but that turns out to be wrong... I clearly don't understand how the driver .inf's work.. :) But there seems to be designations for a lot of gpu cores within the .inf file, but none for the 3850....? Anyways odd, but thanks for explaining it.

I've been pretty thorough about removing old drivers, and the very first driver I installed was the 8.8 AGP hotfix driver.

I'll give it another day of trying then it's going back heh.

5. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I just ordered the powercolor 3850 512mb agp from newegg today and see people saying they're having troubles getting this card to work with VIA chipsets.I have an ASUS mobo with P4M800 pro chipset.I'm just wondering if anyone else has got this card to work with a VIA board?Has the agp 8.8 hotfix drivers fixed these compatibility problems?

I'm also alittle worried my PSU won't be efficient.
    My specs:
    CPU: Pentium D 3.4ghz
    Mobo: Asus P5VDC-MX
    Ram: 1gig Mushkin 4300
    PSU:Tagan 480watt
    HDD: Maxtor 80gb sata

7. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    You might be OK... If you have any problems just google it a bit for a good chipset BIOS and maybe change the PowerColours BIOS to the 9505 one. I suspect the 9505 might boot the card with some AGP features off, then the drivers will turn them on. Just return it if you still can't get it to work, hunting for BIOS's and drivers is not everyone's cup of tea.

I think some people had trouble with the K8T800 chipsets... it does not effect all MB's as I recon they redesigned the K8T800 at one stage and removed the bug (but kept the same chip ID)... something to do with the chip trying to allocate AGP memory over 4Gig or something (or maybe it just allocates the wrong bit of memory.. I forgot). With the right K8T800 code in your BIOS it goes away. It is tricky though as I think there are two good BIOS's depending on what chip you got.

With NForce3 (and maybe NForce2).. they had one or two bad bugs. The biggest one was that for NF3 when you put in a dual core CPU... AGP and RAID get confused as the chip was never designed for multi-threaded execution.

Early intel chipsets like mine had bugs where the physical AGP lines were so short it was too fast and packets were getting to and from the cards messed up on the AGP bus lines.. but they fixed it mostly in 2002 before they made 8x boards... that's why Intel works OK.

There are actually lots of little bugs in all chipsets but mostly they don't effect anyone or are coded out by Microsoft or BIOS and driver updates.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. Paulycc

Paulycc New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 3850 AGP
    Just thought I'd give an update for anyone else considering this card, you might have similar problems with a similar aging AGP setup.

In the short, nothing worked for me, could be the card had something faulty on it, could be my older chipset being incompatible, could be the driver's are just turd and it's hit or miss if it works for you... my own personal conspiracy theory is companies force people to buy new hardware...meaning working but aging technologies will be helped to the grave by the lack of software (cough Vista) and lack of hardware support... heh

The long,
    I gave it a few more days, eventually starting with a fresh install of x64 Vista, still the same problems, random freezing, BSOD's, usually caused by opening a window or moving a window around.

I thought I researched the card enough to feel confident it could work with my Aging Dually Opteron system, but then found this thread over at Sapphire...
    K8W Opteron issues with 3850 AGP
    http://forums.sapphiretech.com/showthread.php?t=20059

I faintly remembered issues with Radeon cards and the old AMD's 8151 Chipset (Tyan K8W, IWill DK8X, etc.), but had forgotten how problematic it was. I've been a bit mad at AMD for awhile when they created a high end workstation platform that they basically stopped supporting a couple years after it was introduced.....

I remember having a feeling this could come back to bite me in the A&& someday, but never thought it would prove so prophetic..... AMD now owning ATI.. haha.

The oddity to me is, can it be possible that a new ATI based card has any similarities to a companies lineup of products, from years ago, which proved problematic for certain chipsets?? Perhaps both Nvidia and ATI base all their new products on a rudimentary creed, but I would think by now both of these companies create their cards from the "ground up" so to speak? If that is the case I would presume the issues were elsewhere. Thanks again for the help.

9. spirits247

spirits247 Member

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 AGP 512MB
    I have this card and it was an adventure trying to get it stable on the infamous VIA K8T800 Pro chipet it seems to whole-heartedly dislike.

First up I had to disable "DBI output" in the bios to actually get it to run 3Dmark. Then it was quite usable for most games but heavy titles (eg COD4) froze.

Next I made sure the PSU wasn't affecting things. It wasn't. Tried playing with settings like Fast Writes, AGP speed etc, but they didn't make a difference so re-enabled them.

Then I abandoned my mild overclock returning everything to defaults, then placed a RAM heatsink on the Railto bridge chip in order to get 100% stability.

It's now running great, but if I raise the FSB (even with locked AGP/PCI available on the Pro chipset) the freeze will return so it's definitely a communication breakdown between the card and the chipset that's very sensitive and that includes the Rialto getting too hot.

Anyway, its running great now and I modded the bios clocks and fan speedup temps.

10. Paulycc

Paulycc New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 3850 AGP
    that's very interesting... Something I would have tried, if I knew haha..

be interesting if someone with the AMD 8151 chipset having issues could fix it with a heatsink as well? Congrats sounds like you made it very stable... the unstable card was frustrating...

11. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Yeah it is pretty non-standard, interesting though.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd,455-5.html

I think the problem is that AMD 8151 bridge does not play well with these AGP bridged PCIe cards. If you want to use the PC you would probably have to use the fastest old non-bridged AGP card. Maybe if you google there is a fix, but after a quick look I saw even with fixes for linux based system they only got 1000MB/s bandwidth from the 8151. Maybe someone has worked it out.

12. spirits247

spirits247 Member

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 AGP 512MB
    Your issue sounds like a worse version of mine Pauly! I'm not sure cooling the chip would have helped in your case, but who knows. This card is very sensitive to small changes in my experience.

It just doesn't like certain conditions on the AGP bus - a very narrow window of operation! Intel users don't seem to be having many issues with it but then again Intel designed the AGP specs!

13. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Another suggestion on another forum was to turn off ACPI and manage the IRQ's the old fashioned way. I am also thinking maybe the 8151 has trouble with the sound device on the ATI card.. this needs drivers because it is sharing the IRQ channel with the GPU and maybe when the 8151 repackages the AGP packets it is messing up because of this.

I also read that these new cards will work on vista 64 for your board but the system says it has 3Meg. Vista 32 and xp 64 and 32 did not work.

All very confusing

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  14. Marquinhos

Marquinhos Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Olá! I am of Brazil, but always I am of eye in the forum and, today I decided to register in cadastre itself and to make questions =) I have a HD3850 agp + 2gb of memory and a CPU Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHZ I am not obtaining a good one resulçtado in games of the Turok type and plus one other games. I find that it is the processor? sera? it wanted to catch a plate mother ASUS P5Pe-VM and 2 Core duo E4700 I go to have improvement with this combo? I ask for to excuses for the bad English =p grateful!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  15. Marquinhos

Marquinhos Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Olá! I am of Brazil, but always I am of eye in the forum and, today I decided to register in cadastre itself and to make questions =) I have a HD3850 agp + 2gb of memory and a CPU Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHZ I am not obtaining a good one resulçtado in games of the Turok type and plus one other games. I find that it is the processor? sera? it wanted to catch a plate mother ASUS P5Pe-VM and 2 Core duo E4700 I go to have improvement with this combo? I ask for to excuses for the bad English =p grateful

16. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    I suspect your current system is 33% too slow. Your memory bandwidth is probably too low, and the CPU might need overclocking... but it still might not cut it.

What memory and MB do you have??

17. Marquinhos

Marquinhos Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    generic memory 2gb ddr 400

18. Marquinhos

Marquinhos Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    in Turok it is stopping to each five seconds and it does not pass of eighteen fps in Black Site Area 51 does not pass of twenty and one fps =(

19. Marquinhos

Marquinhos Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    before vga hd3850 I had one pro hd2600 pro. but hd3850 this practically equal hd2600 pro. he only improves fps in games that I already played before with hd2600 pro. e games that did not twirl well in hd2600pro continues the same drug with hd3850. if I to change to the plate mother and the processing improvement? I was thinking about plate ASUS P5Pe-VM and cpu the 2 Cores duo E6700. he improves?

20. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2