1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Pandaman

Pandaman New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MB
    I've got a dual core AGP system with the 3850... and Crysis. =P How would I go about doing a "GPU Benchmark" with it? I haven't looked into the benchmarking options the game provides...

2. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro

Cool :)
    How is the overall performance/feel of this card on Crysis? At waht settings do you play?
    As for benchmarks, I had a demo of Crysis and if I remember correctly there are .bat files in Bin folder. One is called something like GPU benchmark, other is CPU benchmark. So you just run it and it runs with your current configuration. Note that the first run will probably be slower since not everything is loaded, but then it gets faster. The test loops for a few times.

3. Pandaman

Pandaman New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MB
    Ah, I see.

Well, I don't quite have the time to do a benchmark right now, but with the new 8.3 drivers, Crysis runs alarmingly well. I thought I wouldn't be able to play it for a long time but I've actually gone through the whole game on this rig. I'd say that the framerate stays between 15-30 FPS 99% of the time and occasionally dips when there's more than the typical things going on onscreen, but the game feels right even at that speed so I had no problem with it. I'm also running it at 1440x900 with everything on Very High except for textures, objects, shadows, and volumetric effects and those are all on high.

Everything else I've played in DX9 or DX10 runs darn near perfect so... I'm very impressed with this card. It's *definitely* the last AGP card I'll be able to put into my system though, so after this it's gonna have to be PCI-E at last.

4. El Duderino

El Duderino New Member

GPU:
    HD3850 (agp)
    On the overdrive tab in CCC, just click on the small image of a key, I'm sure it'll work.

5. sapodilla

sapodilla New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4850
  6. RudeDaubin

RudeDaubin Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 260 core 216 SSC
    Hi all, I've been reading this thread for a while now and am confused by the problems with the drivers.I have the powercolor card, and all of the official drivers,including the 8.3's have installed without issue as far as I can tell.The card is not recognised as a powercolor hd3850 agp though,it is listed as ATI Radeon HD 3800 series.Should this be causing me any problems? as I don't seem to be having any, other than the card refusing to overclock with the overdrive software,rivatuner works fine for me though.

7. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    This is actually a powercolor card.

8. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Thats awesome news, as my motherboard is very similar, so If I get one I should also have no issues, good. I'll probably get one now, as soon as I can find one near where I live that is.
    I see You are running it on a 350 watt PSU, I think my 500w Antec should cope alright then.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  9. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Ok, I clicked the big tempting button "Add to cart" and ordered the card. Will have to wait a few days though, as in my country there will be two days free now.
    Ok anyway, I could have gotten Gigabyte P35-DS3L PCI-E + Geforce 9600 PCI-E for a bit of price premium, but was probably to lazy LOL

10. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    if you do this...
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2625534&postcount=380
    then...
    It will install from all the 9515 instead of the 9505 sections of the install
    It will install from the 00281787 sections of the install (the sound chip on the card)
    It will install the agp chipset drivers for AMD (and probably for NVidea chipsets and maybe for intel chipsets), if you are missing them. It is better to track drivers down yourself first though. I do not really get why ATI does this, I recon they should just tell you you need them and abort, probably saves on support calls though.

Important
    I doubt it works for vista yet as 9515 does not appear much inside the install in the ATI vista drivers. So use the 9505 manual method.

For most games the OC is not really needed and is risky atm. I tried rivatuner, ATITools, ATI TrayTools and a BIOS hacker and you are correct rivatuner is the only stable one; however, it is not using drivers yet so there is not much control. CCC is the best one. If you overclock outside CCC with a third party util, you should disable ATI Key Poller service first and reboot. I decided to wait for a BIOS editor that works well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008

11. arctic89

arctic89 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3850AGP
    yea still waiting for a atibioseditor that works with the bios dump of these agps so i can finally oc higher then ccc limits

12. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Do you know if it is possible to change the CCC limits? I read that if you do it on 3xxx then the drivers do not recognize the cards anymore. I know how to do it so I might quickly test it l8r, got to go get some munchies.

Edit: yep, just tried to change ccc overdrive max from 72000 to 81000 and ati video drivers refuse to load. oh, well

Edit2: new rivatuner is out with 3850 AGP included.
    810 this puts me at 55degrees idle, 67 full load.. is that too hot?
    also, I doubt there is much to be had in OCing memory so it is at stock.
    [​IMG]
    other pics here... http://newbling.net/BenchmarkImages/HD3850/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  13. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Seeing as the Driver situation has improved considerably in the last few days, I have just taken the plunge and ordered the Powercolor hd3850 AGP for $295 here in Australia.
    Can't be bothered waiting for other places to potentially have stock later on, or for price to drop.
    Thinking about it, the earlier I get my card, the more money's worth I will get out of it before I do a full upgrade, so I'm not really saving anything waiting another month or so.
    Will post some benchies when I get it, hopefully no more than 2 days..

14. xixou

xixou Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    Yes you are right, I figured it out by reinstalling the original driver ;-)

15. DoomHammer

DoomHammer Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 8800GT in SLI
    Hi all, I was thinking of ordering a PowerColor HD 3850 AGP card to breathe some life into my old Dell system, its a P4 2.8 gigahertz with 1280 MB of RDRAM, I'm currently using an XFX Geforce 6800 XT. This card does ok for most games up to 2006 or so but lately I've been playing The Witcher and even on low graphics settings I average 20-25 fps and as low as 10 fps in some places.

My main concern is whether or not my current power supply can run the 3850, its a Silencer 410 from PC Power and Cooling.

http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-410-dell-2.html

Can someone take a look at that and see if its sufficient? I know PowerColor recommends 30 amps on the 12 volt rail but I only have 23 amps. I've heard that Pcpower makes good power supplies and can usually run at over what they're rated. Thanks for any input :)

16. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 2600XT 512MB AGP
    If my CPU would bottleneck the hell out of the card, yours would also, if not worse.

17. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Use a motherboard monitor to see if it droops the 12v much with the 6800XT under load. It will be about the same, maybe even less demanding. The main thing is to make sure it is slotted right and screwed in and the card does not pause much during boot so needs a stable supply of power from the get go.

HD3850 63W

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p=0

18. Berdyne Hardroc

Berdyne Hardroc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire hd3850 512MB AGP
    Sapphire HD 3850 AGP installed with no problem.

My new 3850 agp arrived today and it was up and running with no problems. I used the new driver set from Sapphire for XP. Released on 3/10
    Sapphire didnt list a driver set for the 3850 agp for Vista so I used the latest 8.3 hot fix set for the 3850 agp from ATI. Both are 8.3s, patched for the 3850agp. both my Vista and XP are 32 bit.
    These drivers are not WHQL, so i could not run 3DMark 06, as it doesnt work unless it sees whql cert.
    Played Hellgate London for 4 + hours, this card is FAST. It just rips on my 4 year old agp sys. The 3850 replaced a 15 month old sapphire x1950 pro,
    which was very good to me, but has nowhere near the performance of the hd3850.
    And I now have a DX10.1 card :):banana:

19. motor

motor Banned

Hey don't start the party just yet. 3dmark03, 05 and 06 will work with any driver WHQL or non WHQL signed.. All 3dmark software will work with Omega drivers. I have used both Omega 7.10 and 7.12 with no problems with a 1950pro (agp). At this time I use 8.3 but 7.7 and 7.6 are fastest.

7.7 and 7.6 are the fastest driver for my 1950pro. I tried omega driver when CoD4 flaged for driver update but it really did not need it. CoD4 runs fine on 7.6 and newer

Edit update:
    Just checked Futuremarks sit for any changes, it looks like you got a driver problem that needs to be fixed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  20. esticbo

esticbo Member

GPU:
    Asus V9999 GT 256Mb DDR3
    Dowload this hotfix for the 3dmark:

Futuremark 3DMark03|05|06 - PCMark05 hotfix