1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    OK I did the 3dmark06 test at 2603 and I got 3742
    [​IMG]
    http://newbling.net/BenchmarkImages/HD3850/

So it seems that either the northwood I have is faster than a prescott or the motherboards are a big factor. I know the Northwoods have a shorter pipeline, but it is suppose to be less efficient. Oh well, I am sure a few more people will test different prescotts in the next few weeks.

The fur tests show it does not matter what you have P4's set to, for pure rendering the card performs the same.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 2600XT 512MB AGP
    Added more

Still, how much do you think the CPU is still holding the card back? That score at 2603MHz is roughly over three times what I got when I tested, but I should do a full test again. There was almost a 1,000 point improvement from 2603 to 3486 though. I know the card is responsible for the rendering but is it even worth whatever the jump in visual quality might be? My max resolution right now is only 1280x1024 so it's not like it'll put that card through much of a workout unless maybe I put all the "pretty" things on in certain games. I do understand that it varies with game to game and it would depend on how CPU reliant it is. But still dunno if it'd even be worth it if at least taking my low resolution compared to what the card is capable of displaying.

EDIT: Just checked the score again, my score from the last time I ran it was only 1047.

EDIT2: Looking at the test on the 2007 VGA chart for the 6600GT, 2600XT and the 3850 they're as follows.

1280x1024 4x AA, 8x AF, Default Quality

3850 (256MB) = 2508

2600XT = 1107

6600GT = 460

Maybe even when my CPU bottlenecks it still might be worth it?

3. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Hey I found the first Photo of the HIS Version of the HD3850 AGP:

[​IMG]

4. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Maybe even when my CPU bottlenecks it still might be worth it? But maybe not.... UGH! Gotta make up my mind since UPS will be here any minute... :bang:

Maybe I am just better off saving the $130 for something else since maybe it'll be fine just playing with FSAA off which I really don't care that much about anyway. Oblivion still plays and looks fine how I have it set as it is, if the 2600XT will give me another 10FPS at least it'll be even better if I can turn on at least a couple things (not AA) to pretty it up a little. :bang: The only real performance "improvement" mod I have running is the reduce spawn rates in MMM.... Just checked my settings and I have shadows either on low (for buildings and interior) or off, reflections off, textures on medium at 1024x768. Distance I have set to max with the other two or three things set to "on". Reflections though would be CPU intensive right?

5. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    oh cmon guys ur gonna throw 230$ on a card (which is crazy good and im sure it would kick the ass of PCI-EXpress) BUT ur not gonna even be able to get the goods outa of it??????????
    - YOu have to face it, there is NO CPU on a socket478 or the equivalent in AMD that could handle this card DOT. Overcloking to 4GHz wont do it either/ maybe if u have an EXtreme Edition u might get something outa of it. but the bottom line is this card is (useless and doesnt worth its price).. If it was 100$ id keep it, but for the horsepower that i will never get outa of my Rig.. its not Worthy.

So Im not keeping it .. im selling this card this friday to a friend of mine. I will wait 1 more year/ aint gona play Crysis + the next generation of card might have trouble with it too.. ill wait. ill put back that old Chaintech 6600AGP : P for now

**Sorry i didnt post yet all my benchmark, but i promise before this end of the week you will have a nice Power Point Presentation.. and a new Post u dont wanna miss (I am currently working on the PPT). I will try also Catalyst 8.3 + some becnhies to c if any difference.. hope my benchies will convience everyone..

ciao

6. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I have to admit, I had a P4 at 3ghz and a X850pro and I said **** it and just saved my money. Im playing any game I want minus crysis at max with my budget rig.

7. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Actually for me to use the 3850 it would cost over $300 just to use it due to the size of the card I'd be in a simliar position as you with needing to move a HDD but I'm sure my situation is a bit different, heh. The 2600XT and new PSU have arrived and I accepted it and opened the box. Going to wait a little while before installing it and the "fun" that is probably going to be had with the drivers. Good thing I ordered a PSU with a PCI-E connector because I didn't pay enough attention and expected it to just use a four pin molex connection like my 6600GT. >_>

I was toying with the idea of posting a pic (in a new topic) of the inside of my case but I dunno if I want to be responsible for the headaches, nausea, nosebleeds, heart attacks or potential ED that it would cause. On the bright side when I move the second HDD (which I'm still doing) it should improve airflow and at least finally move the HDD that's standing up in it with some non-conductive padding under it for support. >_> The inside of my case though doesn't get too warm I don't think, right now it's 27C with everything that shows up in Speedfan ranges in temps from mid 20s to low(HDDs)/mid 30s. My CPU is 34C because I was playing a CPU intensive java game. After closing it it's back at 30 after about ten seconds, might go lower and it has just gone down to 27C. Checking my videocard, my XFX 6600GT is at 50C right now which as been about normal since I've had it though at one time it did drop down to low 40s IIRC but I might have played with under clocking it when that happened, doesn't get much hotter under load thankfully..

Alright I'm done rambling.

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    One word, and a letter.

Pentium M ;)

9. motor

motor Banned

I read somewere that if you score higher than 4000 in 3dmark06 your able to play any game on the market. Not all at max setting, CRYSIS should not be a problem at low mid settings.

10. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    well, i think ill be waiting for the HIS card.

11. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    I think it's official, Catalyst 8.3 does NOT support HD3850 AGP.

As I said earlier, I will now abandon AMD and ATI and start researching a full Intel/Nvidia upgrade.

I really was looking forward to putting a HD3850 AGP in my system, but I suppose You can't always get what You want.

12. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Did they ever offer any support? Same deal with the 2600XT, why allow a product to be released and then not support it? Are they asking to be sued?

13. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    considering i just spent a nice chunk of change on my car, and ive got more to spend, ill pass on the 3850s with all these driver issues.

14. josef109

josef109 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT 256MB AGP
    Wow, this is the card I was hoping to get...I'll probably go against my better judgment and and get the damm thing anyway....driver issues or not....

15. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C

16. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    That HIS looks sweet, will have to check out HIS when I do a new system in a few years, the UV stuff would look cool.

The powercolor fan cools the harddisks as well, so I could take the front fan out, looks tempting though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  17. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor Hd3850 AGP 512
    Catalyst 8.3!

So, new drivers are out and lo and behold...they don't work with the Powercolor HD 3850 AGP either. I'm starting to get a lil disappointed here, can anyone with a Sapphire card or another manufacturer besides Powercolor tell me if the 8.3 works for them?

18. philm

philm Member

What is the best drivers for the powercolor 3850 agp?

The sapphire version drivers is ok for powercolor?

Tanks all ! ;-)

19. chas1723

chas1723 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX670
    8.3's do not work with Sapphire 3850 agp either. Got the "card not recognized error" last night.

20. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    You can make the 8.3 setup work if you edit the files...
    run the install
    go to C:\ATI\support\8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746\Driver\Driver\

CX_59746.INI
    ,0x9505:0x30001002,
    to
    ,0x9505:0x30001002,0x9515:0x00281787,

INSTALL.INI
    ,0x9505:0x25421002,
    to
    ,0x9505:0x25421002,0x9515:0x00281787,

Driver.Dat
    to

go to C:\ATI\support\8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746\Driver\Driver\XP_INF

CX_59746.inf
    find "ATI Radeon HD 3850" and add...
    "ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515&SUBSYS_00281787

run C:\Drivers\8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746\Driver\Setup.exe

8.3 contains 14 other files that have a reference to 9515
    8.2 contained 13 other files that have a reference to 9515
    extra one is
    C:\ATI\support\8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746\Driver\BIN\chipset.msi

so they added support for AMD chipsets probably, maybe, just a guess :nerd:

p.s. check the number 00281787 exists in your device manager b4 you do it and use the number in there instead if it is different.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008